Devann Yao: France to Ipswich to Kickers Offenbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You may remember the name from an old Soccer America article:

United Sports Foundation is organized like a pyramid. At the top is a residency program for three boys. One is 11-year-old Devann Yao, from Harlem in New York. His father played professional soccer in France, his mother is Italian, and Devann is trilingual. United Sports Foundation arranged a scholarship to the private Montgomery School and housing in a private home.

Yao trains four days a week from 6 to 7 a.m. with Williams and the two other residency players, both 13: Ernest Winhoffer of Mahway, N.J., and Chris Cano, a U.S. citizen from Colombia who lives in Staten Island, N.Y. After school they have study hall with a professional tutor. In the evening they train with Foundation players.

Yao goes home on weekends to play with his club team, FC Westchester, and returns on Sunday nights. He's been to England, where he trained with Manchester United and Arsenal. Arsenal invited him back in March.​

Link:
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=56208000

Well, I happened to turn this link up in Google's cache but I have no idea what it means.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...index=180+"Devann+yao"&hl=en&client=firefox-a

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...index=150+"Devann+yao"&hl=en&client=firefox-a

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...index=180+"Devann+yao"&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Maybe that he's with Metz?

I don't know French and couldn't figure out whether there was a youth section of the club's site.

http://fcmetz.com/

Can someone maybe investigate?

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Devann Yao in France?

It's not under "Equipes" (team). There's only a pro roster on the site, as far as I can tell.

3. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know French either, but either way it sound like this Williams guy is doing some cool things with trying to create a youth academy residency program. It sounds like the kids are getting a good education too.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  5. roma52

roma52 New Member

Aug 25, 2007

Yao Devann is presently in Livorno, Italy, training with the local team.
    May you let me know his father full name and who he played with in France?

Thank you
    Vanda Croasdale
    Livorno, 08/25/2007

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Training with A.S. Livorno?

7. saintobsolete

saintobsolete New Member

Nov 24, 2004

devann yao is with a.s. livorno 2007 -2008

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Can we substantiate this in any way? Clicking through the "Giovanili" section of the club site...

... I can't seem to find him mentioned.

9. saintobsolete

saintobsolete New Member

Nov 24, 2004

he was at metz now he is at livorno ,2007 -2008, i think you are looking at 2006-2007 he was not signed then.who are you/ why are you asking?does devann know you? he has not played football here since he was 13-he is now 17-

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Nope, I don't know Devann. We just try to follow the whereabouts of as many American players as possible on this board. So, having good and current information is quite valuable.

11. saintobsolete

saintobsolete New Member

Nov 24, 2004

while devan was at metz ,he tried out with region 1 odp,but did not make the team,this was 2 years ago he took atrain to paris from metz and met up with the team.then they flew to italy for a tournament.he is now concentrating on his club.that is all that has happened .and now he is at livorno.he is a 90 player.i will try to keep you up to date.

12. devannyao

devannyao New Member

Oct 21, 2007

ok im devann yao. i used to play three years in france for fc metz now i play fot a.s livorno go to settore giovanile, primavera look for devann yao and im registered for the 07\08 roster. i hoped this clears up everything

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. fitbaed

fitbaed New Member

Apr 7, 2004

congrats on playing in Italy. Whats the training like?

14. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice. Another player playing Primavera ball. Good luck Devann!

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Devann tells me he's now with the primavera squad of Pisa Calcio, currently in Serie B.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

loan deal or he is signed there?

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Free transfer.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

How old is Yao?

19. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Given Dave's original post back in 2005, I'm guessing he's 13-14 now?

Edit: Nevermind, since someone who knows him posted recently that he's 17, then I'm guessing he's 17 or 18 now. :D

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Yao is a 1990.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  22. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

It sounds like the advice he's getting is a bit scattered. Common sense would say that unless MLS teams have players that have suffered significant long-term injuries there won't be any roster space for Yao, assuming he shows well. USL might be a better option right now. The Metz trial is intriguing, and if Yao goes that route, someone needs to take him aside and preach patience.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was an outstanding article. I learned more about Devann in 10 minutes than I did in 5 yrs. of this thread. The article demonstrates exactly how difficult it is to develop talent and how our system is skewed. It make me really sympathetic towards Devann. Then I read how Devann was robbed, in some ways, of his teenage years, some of it unluck with clubs and some his own doing. I can see how the kid is reserved, shy, and a little bit of an outcast. It's got to be hard bouncing around place to place, unsettled. It seems he just shakes off the stress but it has to be nerve wrecking and eating at him. I got the impression his only "home" is on the pitch. That's where he feels most comfortable and he comes out of his shell. Reading it seems he does have talent. He does has something there for others to see and judge. For his shake I hope he does find a place. I hope this agent does everything in his power to put Devann in the right direction. Devann and his agent need to hit up every USL team. Someone needs to set him up to chat with Max Cream who similarly bounced around Europe at very early age. Cream settled at Cleveland City. Maybe Devann should try them. If it's true Chivas has called that's not bad. Preki found Justin Braun, when he was 19, playing in an adult league in Salt Lake and he found a gem in Jorge Flores who won Sueño MLS. Plus Chukwudi Chijindu, undrafted from UConn, trialed nuermous places in europe and landed there. He has looked solid in 2 games, totalling 40 minutes. So if there's a team and coach in MLS that is open to the obscure it's Preki and Chivas.