PBP: Dest Starts for Ajax vs VVV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by WheezingUSASupport, Aug 17, 2019.

1. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Dest starts for Ajax against VVV. Match is on ESPN+.

For those of you looking for a stream you should fork over $5 a month instead of the $5 you spend towards your cable package, or those 30packs.

TimB4Last, Gacm32, KenC and 1 other person repped this.
  2. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji Wright is on the bench for VVV Venlo. Game starts at 12:30 eastern.

jnielsen and Winoman repped this.
  3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dest garnering a lot of close monitoring in the attacking half. has had a nice tackle to clean up a teammates mess but haven’t seen much opportunity to defend

wixson7, Gacm32 and autobus39 repped this.
  4. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    He nearly scored off of a ball over the top. Had a nice touch to bring it down, but the keeper closed quickly and cut down the angle.

Winoman repped this.
  5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like his backward header ability, has an ability to salmon his body in such a way to defend crosses with the back of his head, shows good positioning, awareness. Action for both teams has been mostly on his opposite side, but he's done enough at the back and looked clean going forward. Ajax up 1-0 and will probably cruise through the second half.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nice first half from Dest. Had a good run into the box and took the long pass well. Just a little too close to the keeper to get a good shot off. Had a couple of good interventions on defense.

wixson7, Gacm32, autobus39 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Saw several Dutch tweets saying Dest was the best player on the field in the first half

8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dest dutifully defending. definitely looking to get forward but i’m liking his tracking of attackers

wixson7 repped this.
  9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    beautiful team goal. no dest involvement but he had a nice view of it

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now let's pray he doesn't switch.

11. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Again, he has no opportunity to switch. He has a 0% chance of a call up in 2019 for the Dutch. We will be calling him up for the next matches. He would have to actively turn down senior NT call ups from us for the next 12 months (at least) in order to be a threat to switch.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That is, of course, if Egg calls him at all. Time to write some letters.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Solid match from Dest!! Mazraoui was out injured and it may be that Dest gets the start against APOEL in the CL playoff match mid week!!!

14. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    He was supposed to call him with zero first team club appearances? Ridiculous. If you actually don’t think he will be called next opportunity I’m happy to make a wager that he will be. So silly to get all bent out of shape when an error hasn’t even been made yet.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    All you say is true, I wouldn't call a player before he proves something.

It's just that for the first time I'm having the distinct impression that we here know more about many of our players than they do.

Winoman and nbarbour repped this.
  16. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    We and they know plenty about Dest from the u17 and u20 levels. They found him at a very young age in the system and got him into camps when he was a virtual unknown. I don’t know what they could possibly have done with Dest other than exactly what they’ve done. They’ve done a great job with this one it’s so strange to hear criticism with respect to how the Dest situation specifically has been handled.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Still not useless to remind them in a quick note that he's evolving rapidly and there may be other interests behind him. Won't hurt, I hope.

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's viewed as a wonderful prospect at Ajax. Admittedly that all happened this summer.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Actually it was last season with Jong Ajax that he had his breakthrough. I saw a number of those matches and you could see that he was a special player.

appoo and Winoman repped this.
  20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Played very well, no major flubs. Got forward a ton and tracked his runners very well. Just 1 time early on he was caught ball watching and let a guy get in behind him, otherwise solid.

21. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Adding on to this - he played the U-20 World Cup. Lots of minutes, too. He probably needed summer vacation and getting to training on time more than he needed to challenge Cannon, Lima, or Lovitz.

Thanks for all the observations, everyone.