Despite a Poor MLS Season but with a U.S Open Cup Win, Was This Season a Success For Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by LuiFern, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I somehow spent 5 minutes skimming the Gen Orange show and landed on the part where @SeanRingrose claimed that the Dynamo were executing Oakland A’s style Moneyball to perfection and that other MLS teams were soon to start copying it. Well, executing it perfectly except for the winning part.

I think next week may be a discussion of how Lyndon LaRouche’s 2020 presidential campaign has a real shot to win the office applying the Dynamo FO strategy to the Electoral College

*rey* repped this.
  2. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i'm glad i stopped smoking weed. i just liked that garbage lettuce to take the edge off. these days kids out here are smoking that strong stuff to the point of hallucination.

naranjableeder repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gen Orange must be code for whatever they laced it with. I may listen to some more tonight because it’s great comedy at times.

4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wow, it's almost as if the Dynamo have gone out and gotten their own state media to spew propaganda for them.

El Naranja, naranjableeder and *rey* repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without any traditional media to cover the team you got a bit of a vacuum and the Dynamo FO credibility is shot in terms of the data they put out (rarely with any hard quantitative figures but qualitative modifers like a “substantial amount” or statements lacking context “tv ratings are double last year!!”). So in that vacuum you have bloggers and fanboys on the internet. To be fair, there are a few other folks who cover the team on social media and other sites who seem more objective.

I expect the Dynamo Fan of the Year to tweet his usual stuff defending the team. The Gen Orange dude is just all over the place and unintentionally funny. I guess it is his “opinion” but most are like calling a 95-degree October day as “relatively seasonable”.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the Dynamo got their Soros-funded external social media minions out there today with their talking point memo. Continually pointing to Toronto’s 2018 season while ignoring 2016 & 2017 is disingenuous, much the same way the Orange Kool Aid Brigade talks about the 2017 Western finalist while ignoring everything else about the Dynamo being lousy the rest of 2014-2018

http://www.reddit.com/r/dynamo/comments/9r0gcw/i_need_everyone_to_watch_last_nights_episode_of/

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is a really funny thread. There are one or two delusional people on there, the rest make far more sense.

Westside Cosmo and *rey* repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Gen Orange Ringrose and Callowist guys have really lost their minds. We got some thread on BBVA concession prices like Ringrose was triggered.

I’m sorry but the guy who lauds Lundqvist has to be a relative of Matt Jordan. To claim that was a good signing and also claim you have closely watch his play is delusional. The guy didn’t even make the subs bench one game we started Wenger and García on the backline.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I’m going to follow Gen Orange around like a wrestling heel until he puts me on the show to debate him. Perhaps we can hype this up and we can double the listeners from 7 to 14. Put me in coach!

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to like 1:33:50 of last nights show, he claimed the Dynamo were building a dynasty thru their player acquisition strategy.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and the Ringrose guy continually claiming as “fact” the Dynamo spending now $10 million (up from $9 million last week) on transfer fees with no actual “evidence” has gotten played out today. It’s like if you say it enough and loudly, it will become an accepted fact.

I find it quite amusing how he takes actual facts/stats from the MLS salary report to spin all sorts of anti-Toronto stats but can’t produce anything to back up his own claims on Dynamo spending.

The Dynamo will end this “successful” season after “factually” spending $10 million on player acquisitions outside of the playoffs and with less than 40 points. Let that sink in.

He’s like the Dynamo version of MSNBC meltdowns.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was at 122 views earlier tonight. He called a guy on Twitter an idiot for his tweet about the Dynamo not spending.

One thing id like the Orange Kool Aid man to explain is that If the Dynamo only spends league funded TAM are they really spending all this money he claims they are? I’d argue they are just using the league money as a subsidy towards their own lack of spending.

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sean is an idiot but he is smart enough to not allow someone like you on the show to make him look a fool.

naranjableeder repped this.
  16. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll join you.... I have nothing better to do with my off time now!

Rey, I'd happily start a podcast with you too! We can just out viewership them and absorb their podcast out of dominance

17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #67 DynamoManiac, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    The Callowist dude today is saying that the Dynamo don't need a shirt sponsor, the money is not that important. Figures it is somewhere around $1 mil per year (despite fact that all publications that quote MLS jersey sponsorship figures put bottom end of the range at $2 mil). This ain't Chevron we're talking about, that's pretty close to 100% of operating profit. That's around 20% of payroll. That's a Dynamo sized transfer fee. Hope this guy never runs a business, because I definitely wouldn't invest in it.

Westside Cosmo and *rey* repped this.
  18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's a one off, though. That Reddit thread has sparked a lot of interest. Their average views struggles to get out of the teens.

19. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He's invited Dwain on, so I'm not too sure about that.

El Naranja repped this.
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #70 Westside Cosmo, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    I thought the Callowist guy was just a wise guy trolling with some of his opinions but then you see more and realize he may believe what he is posting.

And I concur with you that the Dynamo are stuck in the mode of trying to cut their way to prosperity and mostly ignoring the revenue side. One item to me that sticks out is that while many of the non-billionaire owners in MLS are spending much more than the Dynamo with likely similar revenue bases (market size, SSS, etc.), the Dynamo seems stuck to the floor because we may be just pocketing the SUM revenues and expansion fees while other teams are reinvesting in the squad.

This isn’t too dissimilar from when the Florida Marlins and Pittsburgh Pirates were accused of pocketing the small-market revenue sharing subsidies they got instead of spending it on the field.

So when Ringrose and others moan about Atlanta and rich owners (and then predict the Atlanta model will fail as unsustainable) and use that as an excuse, the Dynamo are getting a cut of every expansion team fee and may not be using those funds

21. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He's the most dangerous of posters - absolutely believes what he is posting, defends it aggressively but doesn't actually know what he is talking about. The whole "shirt sponsorship is under $1 mil, only 5 teams have sponsorship deals over $2 mil" is flat out nonsense. Even RSL is at $3 mil per year for shirt revenue, and that is a tiny market. I've realized now that there is no point in discussing with him, even when you pull in facts to show he is wrong he sticks to his underlying belief.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the below quote from Callowist on Reddit confirms he’s bat-sh*t crazy, calling the FOs inability to sell a jersey sponsor as a crime of selectiveness

“*post posting follow up.... i don't believe they haven't had any offers for jersey sponsors, i do believe that they look for companies with stronger houston ties. so if anything their crime is selectiveness. i'm told their next sponsor will be a large scale houston based hospital network.”

23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Away games record:

2006 - 17 pts/16 games, 1.06 PPG, 3 wins
    2007 - 24/15, 1.60 PPG, 7 wins
    2008 - 17/15, 1.13 PPG, 3 wins
    2009 - 18/15, 1.20 PPG, 5 wins
    2010 - 12/15, 0.80 PPG, 3 wins
    2011 - 15/17, 0.88 PPG, 2 wins
    2012 - 14/17, 0.82 PPG, 3 wins
    2013 - 20/17, 1.18 PPG, 5 wins
    2014 - 11/17, 0.65 PPG, 3 wins
    2015 - 11/17, 0.65 PPG, 2 wins
    2016 - 12/17, 0.71 PPG, 2 wins
    2017 - 10/17, 0.59 PPG, 1 win
    2018 - 11/17, 0.65 PPG, 2 wins

AVERAGE: 0.91 PPG, 3.15 wins per season

2017 remains the worst road season in Dynamo history. 2018 is in a tie for 2nd worst with 2014 and 2015.

naranjableeder and *rey* repped this.
  25. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot heap praises on Manotas enough... He fought off Torres last year, even when he was scoring goals and ended last year our number one striker. Then this year comes out and shows the type of striker he is, by scoring all kinds of goals. The kid has poise, instinct, and the fire that Houston Striker hasn't had since Ching.

He has been my positive outlook for this season and even topping the USOC Win, because without him, we don't get there.

*rey* repped this.