News: Desperate FO Statements To Sell USOC Tickets

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Aug 27, 2018.

1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Despite it's shortcomings - winning at anything competitive is good and something to be proud of. It is not as meaningful as the MLS cup but it's something.

Hopefully we win and get some more money to buy more / better players - even if we get smoked in CCL competition, maybe we improve the roster somewhat. I honestly don't know what the future holds with this ownership group and Front Office.

CeltTexan and naranjableeder repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, the USOC is the only positive on the season and as Boswell pointed out last night, it actually pays more prize money out to players than winning MLS Cup.

If they win and make CCL, I’d look at last nights’ midweek lineup and say unless ownership invests a lot more in the team, our USL-level depth will get clobbered in that tournament.

And on that, I mean that ownership has to be willing to pull the cash levers and mechanisms available to invest in the squad. That means having a 3rd DP, using the self-funded TAM not just Garber Bucks. I’m sure the narrative will be how handicapped we are by the salary cap but this FO doesnt maximize their usage of available mechanisms.

3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already pulled this on @*rey* elsewhere but I can name the past 3 easy and could probably go back to DC's win.

And don't disparage that United team. Their leading goal scorer went on to win the Golden Boot at this past World Cup. Heck of a career if you ask me.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this while drinking coffee yesterday morning. I started laughing and my wife asked what was so funny... I told her someone let a middle schooler on to the Dynamo website to write a story and they are comparing the USOC Cup to the Championships the City has won. She responded "what's the USOC?"... I said exactly.

My wife knows soccer fairly well and attends games with me... She knows how many championships the team has won.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It is the card they are dealt, we're going for the "b" trophy and that's an end in itself. Where they lost me was the comparison. OK, I was going to accept this is what we have going this season, but if you're going to intentionally prompt the question, no, this is second rate, and the equivalence rings hollow.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though if we win, we are legitimately the best team in American soccer. Since that's what USOC looks to determine.

Not as weird as 2013 when DC won but not far off either

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, out of the 97 teams in America who participated in this version of the USOC, a win vs. Philly would validate our standing as the greatest team in American soccer for the year 2018!!!!!

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The National Champions of American soccer.
    Correct.
    A sport in our culture that has a player of such national and international recognition as Jeff Agoos in its Hall of Fame.
    Which the more I have dealt with soccer FO folks to our culture's soccer refs to all the plastic Eurosnob fans that claim to be some hardcore soccer lover but then refuse to go out for live, local Div I footy they are too good for any of that. Like professional soccer is some TV show. So having us do the selling is old hat but look at the target market. Many are in the game but don't support, buy in to the game.
    Also, if those in places of power in our nation that are in the business of said pro men's and women's soccer than the premium is on them to grow the following of the sport. Certainly for a tropy that is over 100 years old and yet even many soccer lovers STILL have no clue what it represents.

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read this next puff piece about “legacy making”, before we get to the 26th they’ll probably be an article about how the Dynamo are the most diverse squad and most “representative of their city” to go for the Cup in modern history :

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2018/09/10/legacy-maker-us-open-cup-final-provides-shot-silverware-dynamo-players

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like to say this about winning an Open Cup title, it is the only trophy that FC Southern Oklahoma has ever won. And the trophy is named after Lamar Hunt. Their owner.
    So adding this trophy one ups our eternal rival once more.

12. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if we were to win, do we get another star on our jersey?

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving out free tickets as incentive to renew for 2019 season tickets isn’t exactly the sign of healthy ticket sales for the USOC game.

naranjableeder repped this.
  15. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right...

I swear the dummy-o's brigade think we are dumb or too lazy to see right through their bullshit

16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're just trying to fill up the stadium so we get the World Cup.

17. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    They only going to get a banner/pennant next to the MLS Cup and conference title banners. Also might get championship rings for winning the Open Cup or a victory parade/party celebration of some sort. Maybe accept an invitation from President Trump to visit the White House, Westside Cosmo would definitely go there.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good ‘ol Dynamo Fan of the Year still hasn’t figured out the Dynamo ticket app is rigged by that team to only show limited seats available when in reality probably 90% of the upper bowl is empty. They’ve been doing this the last 2 seasons, force folks to buy tickets on the side shown on TV to make the place look more full

http://mobile.twitter.com/webtilton/status/1040776332286873601

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I’m sure the World Cup organizing committee is not going to realize there could be several thousand free tickets given away for this game since the Dynamo put it out publicly on their website.

Of all the dumb Canetti statements he’s made over the years that were marginally truthful and designed for PR or for sales purposes, this one about the attendance of the USOC game mattering for the world cup might’ve been the stupidest one.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m only going to the White House if the WNBA and NWSL champions get to go. #MeToo

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they get the trophy too. Could've sworn DC has theirs with the rest of their bling.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
  24. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States