Desevio Payne at Koninklijke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm pretty with it on my geography knowledge, and if you pressed me on where Emmen was outside the context of this thread, I'd definitely say Germany.

Pretty easy to confuse with Meppen, which is only 30 km away.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I could ask this question in a broader context on the site, but do you guys generally like me adding the country when it's not clear? Would adding the league be more beneficial? If I add both it might make the title unwieldy. What do you all think?

3. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #503 autobus39, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019

Maybe when it is a relatively top league (Eredivisie or 2. Bundesliga) put the league, if the player is further down the pyramid just put the country? I think the country in the title can be helpful. Personally I know that Emmen is a Dutch club, but for a club like them I many not know what division they are in at the moment off hand.

4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that as a good rule of thumb. That's kind of what @BostonRed, @Dave Marino-Nachison, etc. do when they start a new thread for a Yank playing in a lower-level division or league.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #505 ArsenalMetro, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Depends on the circumstances. If it's a less-famous club in a notable league like Emmen, or a less-prestigious league/country like Iceland or Bulgaria or something, then yeah, add the country.

If it's a club that a reasonable BigSoccer poster should know about, or a club representing a notable city, then leave it as club only. Ex. I don't think "Wil Trapp at AEK Athens" would need a country designation, while "Wil Trapp at Asteras Tripolis" would.

I wouldn't add the league name itself under any circumstances. That will get confusing with sponsor titles and promotion/relegation.

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great points, thanks @ArsenalMetro!

7. It's beautiful there!!

autobus39 and freisland repped this.
  8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Absolutely right. I think I know continental footy pretty well and geography very well indeed. Add in spelling and monikers (Deportivo, Racing, Olympic, etc.) and I'd be able to guess a club's country right nearly all the time, but for Emmen I'd have been drawing a blank if I hadn't been looking at the Dutch D2 tables over the last 2-3 years because of Novakovic and Shane O'Neill.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The thing about Emmen is Emmenthaler screws it up big time. You expect a cheese with a Dutch name to be Dutch cheese, but the Swiss stole it, probably during the Spanish occupation or something... I blame those Swiss papal guards.

10. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only have his ynt days to go on, but he was a "right back who could play left back" (similar to lichaj and chandler), but he may be a perma-lb at this point.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No, you're correct. I think remembering him as an LB was my wishful thinking. He usually plays RB (when he has played) at the club level - I think he has filled in on the left, but is mostly on the right. My bad. But Emmen still need an LB. Not sure what they have going on on the right. I'll look at some line-ups.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Looks like emmen started last season with Gerson Klok as the regular RB, but he fell out of favor (after the 5-0 drubbing by ADO. He was also dropped for 1 game after a 6-0 spanking by PSV) and has left for a 3rd division team (ouch!) as of this month - he was listed as injured for a bit as well after the 5-0 so maybe it was an knock to more than his pride. Starting DM/CM Glen Bijl got moved to RB after a series of terrible games by Emmen (the 5-0 above and 4 more games with a 16 - 3 GD...) and finished out the season there. The other "natural" RB Stef gronsveld - who filled in for Klok for a few games before Bijl was moved, is also on his way out to the "Keuken" (the "2nd" division - aka the Ereste.)

All in all it looks like 8 (!!) defenders are leaving Emmen - 2 LBs. 2 "natural" RBs. So far Payne looks to be the only RB coming in, so the plan may be to keep Bijl there (I have no idea) with Des as back-up. Which would probably be ideal as it leaves more options for getting on the field. But Emmen need to bring in a bunch of defenders, or keep a couple of the loans that are slated to end.

13. Winoman and freisland repped this.
  14. Video about foreigners liking Drente:

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Devesio" Payne on the bench:

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Including country or league detracts from space for the exquisite puns.

Just put as much of the official name of the club as possible, it's our duty as soccer fans to find out where it is, if we don't know.

"The Payne Within: Desevio at FC Emmen."

17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    emmen lost 1-0 to the tractor boys of Groningen. Looks like Payne did not feature.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  19. @freisland
    Just to give you a good mood, I give you the table of the Eredivisie. You can make print of it on a tshirt or ask your family in law for it!
    upload_2019-8-5_2-18-11.png

freisland and TxEx repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    autobus39 repped this.
  21. hype25