Deporte guatemalteco-Other Sports [NSR]

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by edcalvi, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I think it was 2 more on Sunday. Jason Hess (Sailing - Hobie 16) and Charles Fernandez (Modern Penthatlon). Nonetheless a very good weekend in Toronto.

2. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    22-year old Kevin Luna becomes 2nd Guatemalan boxer to reach the podium in Pan Am Games history as he takes bronze in the lightweight division.
    [​IMG]

edcalvi repped this.
  3. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    [​IMG]
    Our only other chance at gold is Barrondo at 50km.

ChaChaFut repped this.
  4. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Érick Barrondo adds silverv to his illustrious career. Guatemala finishes 10th on the edal count at the 2015 Toronto Games.

5. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
  6. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Bump

Hoy lleva la bandera Ana sofia gomez. Erick Barrondo was the one chosen to have the honor to do so. Pero el cerote will get to brazil til next week.

edcalvi repped this.
  7. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Ahi vamos !!!
    CpIw69aXgAA_gYW.jpeg

Does anyone think we have a shot at a medal? Cause I'm not confident about it :'(

edcalvi repped this.
  8. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Best uniforms and the girls look hot.

Well starting with the girl holding the flag in gymnastics, I think we have a shot. I hope Barrondo gets another one.

Chul0 repped this.
  9. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Ojala. I think the only ones with a shot are Barrondo (though he's been crap since the medal), one of the Brol brothers (somos buenos con Las pistolas), & Maegli.

Sofia Gomez is pretty good too but she has to face world class gymnasts from super powers like the US, China, Russia & eastern Europe. Same case as kevin Cordon.

Another one with an outside chance is Charles Fernandez tho these are his first Olympics.

10. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Kevin Cordón is world class. I think he has a shot.

11. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Hoy compite Maeglí.

12. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Maybe so, but he still has to compete against at least 20 better players from Asia and the US. Also, he said the draw didn't benefit him, but let's hope he can surprise us all.

Hoy le fue mal...he came in 18th place. I don't understand laser sailing but he still has 8 more rounds to go. I also read that at the end of the event, the worst round gets omitted from your overall score. Let's hope he can improve though the margin for error is really slim now.

13. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Today was a good day for Maegli. He went from the 18th position overall to the 6th. There are still 6 rounds to go, let's hope he can surprise us with a medal:):):)

I still think that if we a get any medals they will come from Barrondo, the Brol brothers, Maegli or Charles Fernandez. No hay que perder la fé.

14. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    The Brol brothers have been eliminated, they couldn't make it to the final round unfortunately. Maegli has started poorly as well today. Our hopes for a medal are diminishing by the minute :(:cry:

Let's hope Maegli can recover, Barrondo can rediscover his last Olympics form & that Charles Fernandez can surprise us all.... si no, nos vamos ir en blanco

15. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    At least Maeglí qualified. Barrondo is our only hope.

16. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    1 medal EVER and you're worried we're gonna leave without one? Come on bro.... lmao!!! kidding kidding.

Seriously though Maegli could be a surprise, definitely has been so far so gotta stay positive. Cordon in badminton??? Never know he's hot and cold. I do like that swimmer from Auburn he more than anyone may be a huge surprise.

But can you imagine if Barondo pulled out a gold? HOOOOOOLY CRAP that would be amazing

Chul0 repped this.
  17. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    You're absolutely right. And yet I can't help wanting another medal :(

Es como en futbol. Nunca hemos ganado en Puerto España. And yet next month I'll be rooting/hoping for guate to do so. I'm a masochist is what I'm saying haha.

As for the Olympics I feel that the ones with the bigger pressure have dissapointed so far. Few of our athletes have improved their personal records when they qualified.

Maegli still has like 4 rounds to go, so there's still hope. Kevin Cordón is very good. The problem is there are like 15 players better than him.

Barrondo has regressed badly since the medal. Of the 74 participants in the 20 km he had the 72th worst time when qualifying. Though, maybe he can make history again. One can only hope.

I still think the wild card is Charles Fernandez in pentathlon. Iirc, he's the best at it in America in his age range. Let's hope can be the surprise.

18. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nos vamos ir en blanco unfortunately. Cordon got injured & Maegli has underperformed.

Don't get me started on Barrondo. I usually support all of our representatives and though I admire him for his medal 4 years ago. He still rubs me the wrong way. Especially when he started bitching about the $$$ going in to soccer.

Forgetting the investment comes from the private sector. Unlike his that comes from the taxpayers money. Especially taking into account that he gets the most $$$$$ out of all our Olympians.

Anyways, he came in 50th and according to reports look out shape from the 6 km and on (out of 20). He still has a "chance" next week in the 50 km but I wouldn't hold my breath.

So Charles is the last hope I guess :(

19. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Barrondo was horrible. You forgot Valerie Gruest, she finished 3rd in qualifying. Only 17 years old.

20. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Agree. Gruest started well pero los nervios se la comieron creo. If she'd had replicated the same time she had when she qualified, she would be in the next round. Either way she has a bright future if she continues her development. La Nueva Gisela Morales ? Let's hope she's better.

Maegli just qualified to the final round (just like in London). Unfortunately, since all points are cumulative he has no chance for a medal. Kevin Cordón is also out due to a knee injury.

So far our best representatives have Maegli, Martinez, Enrique Brol, & the weight lifting dude who's name escapes me.

The worst have been Barrondo, Ana sofia gomez, and Herbert Brol. Especially Barrondo. Maybe it's a "guatemalan" problem. None of our athletes (including soccer players) can deal with the weight of expectations. We crumble due to pressure :'(

21. Chul0

Chul0 Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Barrondo & Cordón left the Olympics due to injuries. Curiously, both had to do with their knees.

On A positive note, Maegli finished in the 8th position, just like in 2012.

22. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
  23. dezeptus

dezeptus Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones