Dennis bergkamp the forgotten all timer

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Nov 18, 2018.

?

Is Dennis bergkamp criminally underrated?

1. Yes he definitely is

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No he is correctly rated

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. he is overrated

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It is true that it's hard to rank Bergkamp too highly due to his lack of opportunities to play in the UCL. It's unfortunate, but it's true. No matter how good he was in the games that he did play, he simply lack the number of games in the UCL to really compete for higher spots.

Having said that, even if he did play more games in the UCL, I don't think he would have had much to show for it. Wenger, in the 20 years at Arsenal, proved himself to be utterly incompetent at the UCL level. As good as Bergkamp was, I'm not sure he could have done much to change the fate of Wenger's Arsenal in the UCL.

ko242 repped this.
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    To answer about Bergkamp in away CL games - I think the idea was that he could travel by road/sea at times, but perhaps the club or Wenger decided against it, especially if a long trip. We'd need to look back into history and study line-ups to analyse the percentage he played though.

I do feel Wenger gets an unfair rap by some Arsenal fans but definitely don't want to be falling out with Poet about it! Just maybe it would be some sort of justice if the club went on a streak of boring 0-0's and 0-1 losses where the ball is in the air often and then opposition fans might sing "You've got your Arsenal back". He is the greatest Arsenal manager after all. But like I say, don't want to argue about it Poet mate - I just cringe a bit about it at times when I hear songs like "We've got our Arsenal back" when Emery hasn't done any better as yet and shows no real signs of it IMHO. I do think Wenger's approach relied on quality players more so than game-by-game tactical tweeks etc, but so did Clough's in the main and his "goodbye" from Forest seemed a bit better from fans even when the team was getting relegated not just missing the top 4. In some CL games, Wenger's Arsenal triumphed over Juventus, finalists Leverkusen etc, but yes they under-delivered in some games too, and the Bergkamp thing didn't help. No problem though Poet - I am not really annoyed honest, just taking the opportunity to offer my view - that I 'like' the more open, 'let the players play' football probably does sway my allegiances though, as well as thinking in general he seemed a nice and honourable guy if you know what I mean (occasionally mysteriously losing his sight when his players committed fouls or something though lol to be fair ! - he admitted that was deliberate as he didn't want to criticise his players I believe).

On the question of "if Bergkamp was quick enough (perhaps making a distinction between Ajax and Arsenal versions though to an extent), then why wouldn't he be top 10 or 20 all-time standard?" - I think that's tricky but one thing could be that he wasn't necessarily the best 'vulture' in front of goal, snapping up every half chance etc - he was better at the quality finishes than the poacher or number 9 type of goals generally speaking. They played a long time ago so hard to gauge properly, but seems that was different for Puskas and Pele indeed - that they were more a mix of number 9 and number 10 in one player, while he was elite as a creator on his best days, and with his scoring techniques and ball skills but more of an outright 'number 10' type in style/effect albeit often second striker or even CF rather than midfielder or 'hole player' (when he was relatively young anyway). Another thing might be that while his technique was top notch, he wasn't as elusive when running/turning with the ball as certain players - Maradona, Savicevic, Zola, Baggio etc, so was to some extent a limited dribbler (and generally didn't dribble a lot, preferring to use the ball efficiently by passing it, which he was great at of course). So maybe his game wasn't as complete as it might seem at first glance because of these little nuances.

But in good shape/form he could seem on the level with the great players generally speaking (this game doesn't even highlight his passing and vision to the maximum but is a good one for evident skills against a high level opponent, albeit this season as has been said wasn't a vintage one eventually for him):

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Anyway, to get back in 'agreement' mode with you Poet haha - I remember watching that whole game not long ago and strangely maybe despite the result, I had two Arsenal players down as potential best players on the pitch on the day (so MOTM candidates in a loss) - Bergkamp….and your favourite Vieira too!

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Referring to the linked post Puck - nice quote and good observation by Rivera. With Bergkamp maybe it was more about how his team around him functioned (how many players looking to make forward runs and overlaps etc), as well as his own form/confidence, and less about inherently struggling vs Italian defences for example. And valid point by Gullit - "in a time when there were more fouls per game" - we need to realise that the games governing bodies wanted a higher scoring game (as stated around WC94) and got their wish, so recent players will have all sorts of records for scoring partly due to the changes in the rules and officiating etc (among other things).

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I agree he mostly stuck to a minimal approach, but could be pretty intricate when he chose to. See this example.

Or videos like this below

For example him dribbling the Manchester United defense (and actually creating a scoring chance) at 1:05 in the second video (the #6 shirt is Jaap Stam).

He was generally 'picky', but when he deemed fit he switched to surprisingly quick footwork. I agree he wasn't as expansive or relentless as those guys you mention.

It is maybe 'forgotten' because some of his best moments were preluded/initiated by large strides. E.g. this vintage game. But I feel/think he sometimes switched to a different 'mode' with shorter strides.

(as said, when I've the time I will go over to some other things)

The furthest he went was Barcelona and Firenze. He played in 7 away games (1 in UEFA Cup, 6 CL) and was unbeaten in all of them. Wenger believed that his travel to Firenze by car was causing injuries. The 2000 final in Copenhagen is counted as a 'neutral' game.

The record with him playing (although in his last season 2005-06 he wasn't a starter any more) is 27W 15D 6L - where the lost shoot-out of the 2000 UEFA Cup final is counted as a draw. Without him playing the record was 15W 11D 20L.

PDG1978 repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    For sure, yeah. I suppose what I tried to convey is that he could often be immaculate with his skills and inspired with ideas/instinct, and it'd be those things in the main which helped him go past some players. I think his body movements were maybe not so elusive so 'normal' runs by him were maybe not so hard to prevent (just pure dribbles or drops of the shoulder etc without any inter-passing, or clever skills). Although he does seem a little bit elusive in that moment vs Deportivo for example probably indeed (but also indeed using team-mates rather than just going himself). I think, like Zidane, he excelled more manipulating the ball past players than just trying to glide past them one after one on a long run. But whenever he used his skills in tight spaces he'd be opening things up for a pass to a free player potentially and would often be taking that option.

Yeah, the record is a lot better with him in the team clearly!

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, that Man Utd example on the 'skills and technique' video does show a fluent little dribble and the defenders are certainly fooled and unable to read his intentions as he goes past them. It's a kind of dynamic situation, with Keane running in to close down so perhaps that helps him use his skill and cleverness in a fluid way, more than starting a slalom dribble in midfield would. Maybe we could call it a hybrid situation even?

I'm thinking actually if the first clip on that video played longer it could be a good example for his pace at Ajax - the Feyenoord defender seems to be looking around and thinking "I'm not going to be able to catch him now!" maybe, just as the clip cuts off but hard to be sure if he will burn away easily as it seems (and it can be the defender is on the slow side too, just as perhaps Jamie Clapham was for Birmingham in 2003 - I think he was the left back Bergkamp out-paced that day - particularly at Ipswich he was certainly a useful deliverer of the ball btw, but never quick to be fair).

8. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was it not better for him to take the train?

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Could be that he'd use the Eurostar I guess yes - not sure exactly which year it became available from St Pancras.

Puck might have more details - not sure, but I think he used his car quite a bit anyway IIRC. It was the longer trips that would be deemed problematic I'd think - to Eastern Europe for example.

10. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    The reason a 46 yr old Zidane can't keep up with anybody has less to do with athleticism and more to do with the fact he hasn't played in 12 years. Anybody who stops playing at 12 years old and continues at 24 will be even worse than a 46 year old Zidane. I bet you a 46 yr old Zidane will over more than a Usein Bolt.

Context doesn't make sense

11. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    I wouldn't say this. There are so many things to making a player what he is in the totality of his career. As good as xavi was, he has a lot to thank for Guardiola and his system.

12. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yes, I think Usain Bolt in his current state is a better footballer than 46 year old Zidane.

Look, you both are still not seeing my point. The original point is raised by me and it's what you tried to get an answer from in the latter part of the post:
    My answer:
    I argue that the difference in physical attributes between player A and player B plays much bigger role than what you wouldve called an equvalent difference in technical attributes.

The overweight Ronaldinho from 2007 season is much worse player than Ronaldinho from 2005. While someone like Kaka 2007, who can be considered at the same physical level as Ronaldinho 2005, but worse technician, is better than Ronaldinho 2007.
    Being slightly out of the shape has bigger impact on your performance than being slightly worse technician, hence physicality is the primary factor (not saying technical skills dont matter because they do, but not the point).

Conclusion i derive from that observation is that Bergkamp has no business doing in top 10 of all time (or top 30) conversation,... nor Rivaldo, Riquelme or whoever. "Freakish" (elite) physiques (or at least one part of it) are a necessary component of the top 10 candidate.
    For the same reason Henry > Bergkamp and we all know that.

Now there is the case where lack of physical attributes by Bergkamp can be (easily) disguised through tactical tweaks so it's not that important insufficiency, but i dont think that belongs within a discussion of an individual.

13. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    i assure you he has never stopped playing football

ko242 repped this.
  14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First of all, there is nobody here arguing that Bergkamp is a top 10 all-timer or anything like that.

This is an interesting point though. At the top level, is difference in athleticism the single most significant differential between players?

Obviously, this is not FM so we can't actually look at numbers. It's not like Player A has 10 points in athleticism and 5 in technique, and Player B vice-versa.

I think picking players who have always relied on their physique to dominate, such a Kaka and Ronaldinho, as examples of players who can't dominate once their physique declines is bad evidence.

What about players who don't rely on physical advantages to dominate? Xabi Alonso, for example, even in his 30s was still one of the finest in his role.
    Why was Ricardo Carvalho playing in the EURO final in 2016? Or Platini who was never, at any point, physically dominant. Why was he able to become the best player in the world through his technical, intellectual, and mental advantages?

What about players who were able to transition once they lost their physical advantages? Giggs was as reliant as anyone on his physique, why didn't he just fall off altogether in his 30s?

While it is obvious that the greatest of all-time will obviously be gifted at all departments, if physical advantages were so important, wouldn't it be true that at any given moment, the best players in the world would all be physically dominating? After all, physical advantages would be so important that no one could ever become the very best at their role without it.

ko242 repped this.
  15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #40 PuckVanHeel, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Trying to continue,

Retrospective views on his performances against AC Milan and Juventus (among others) are certainly kinder than they were back in the day. Really all retrospective looks that I've seen (also by Italians themselves) move towards a positive re-adjustment. Internazionale also performed worse when he was out injured or suspended (5W 4D 8L in the league) and he still won the UEFA Cup as topscorer. While he wasn't an unqualified success, he was not a liability either. It is not like some other historic mis-matches where the team demonstrably did just as well or better without the player (Maradona at Barca, most famously).

Although he has some good games there (Barcelona, Lazio, Lyon, Leverkusen, Depor, Roma, Dortmund, you yourself highlight the Juventus match), this is a problem.

At the same time, for much of his career there were also other relevant continental competitions. He was 30 years old when the Cup Winners Cup got abolished. He didn't play in the UCL until he was 29.

He has as many major continental trophies as Baggio, Zola, Cantona, Weah, Romario and Batistuta tossed together (neither of those are associated with the EC/CL, nor did they win the CL).

To reach the UEFA Cup final with three different teams & three different countries as the main player and impetus (6 goals, 8 goals, 4 goals) is also a fine achievement.

Hence, he was commonly rated as one of the better and impactful 1990s players (also because of topscorer at euro92, top assister 98WC and euro 2000).

(.....)

edit:

Good question, I will get back to this as well (in one final post).

16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Inter Milan was a disaster that season anyway. This would be the equivalent of holding the 2015-2016 season against Eden Hazard, although the Belgian was truly abysmal that season.

17. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #42 Sexy Beast, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    You might wanna check 2nd post of this thread

What is the one thing people say about wonderkids that they miss to compete on the world class level? It's not flair, it's not skill or talent,... it's physical strength and players like Rooney, that reach their maturity faster, are better at younger age.

Why do African teams have an unusual level of dominance in WCs under 17?
    HINT: it's not because they produce the most talented players!
    (It's interesting that the younger the age group you study, the more dominance African teams have. Correlation is clear.)

If player's fitness has such a huge part in his younger age and in defining one's prime years, what makes you think that that difference disappears when we talk about two different players at the top level? It's very much there.

I dont. I think it indicates that being fit is the non negotiable factor in performing well

Some good questions, various answers: Necessity of fitness and exceptional physicality depends from position to position. Teams are capable of covering player's weaknesses (they are individually worse, but not useless.. still burden). 1980s and football that doesnt exist anymore

I guess i should have been more precise. Exceptional physiques doesnt mean Cristiano Ronaldo type of body, it means having a natural physical advantage of some (any) sort. Regardless of whether it's balance or acceleration or pace or upper body strength or everything combined. Football is the game that cherish a physical, natural uniqueness used efficiently.
    If you have the thing, you have a much greater potential than someone who relies on technical skills. Why? Because being a physical freak is much more reliable strategy in a long run than depending on you performing, a highly complex technical skills, flawlessly every single game. If you can outrun everyone, you can outrun everyone all the time and that's about it. On the other hand, you will have off games in terms of first touch... plenty of off games.

Physical attributes are much more reliable, hence the difference in them having a greater effect on player's performance

18. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

19. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But when they fall off in the senior level, is it because the Spaniards catch up with them physically, or is it because the Spaniards achieve minimal level of athleticism required at the top level and improve technically, intellectually, and mentally that they can overcome the physical gap that exists even at the senior level?

The lack of physical advantages also don't stop young players from establishing themselves. Cesc Fabregas at 17-18 years old became one of the hottest prospect in Europe, and he didn't possess any real physical advantages.

We do have players who are very consistent with their technical dominance though. Xabi Alonso was an example. Ricardo Carvalho is another. Denis Irwin, famously Ferguson's most consistent player of all time, never at any point had physical advantages over his fullback peers or the wingers he faced. Ruud van Nisterooy is a good example who had a very consistent career without ever having physical advantages against his opponents.

It is also important to notice how inconsistent so many players that rely on their physical advantages are. The likes of Adebayor, Walcott, and Sterling were famously inconsistent. Sterling only became consistent when other aspects of his game was developed under Pep.

Henry was also inconsistent, until his technique developed. Even CR7, who enjoyed physical advantages sine a very young age, didn't become ultra consistent player until he developed his technique and mentality to the required level.

ko242 repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Give or take there are 30 European players 'better' than him, and from a certain point on things become even more subjective and variable than they are that the top of the list. There are also 'reputable' lists that have him thirty-something.

In the main he's rated quite high:

1) He's widely seen as one of the best, influential and impactful players of his generation - even by Italian publications. His 64th place (whatever) reflects this. To then compare him to a Rivera or Matthews becomes always hard. Bergkamp has more top 10 placements in the FIFA WpotY than any other 1990s player (1992,1993, 1994, 1997, 1998), and was more often nominated for the BdO than anyone else of the 1990s (91, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00), and the only one to be top 5 in both halves of the decade (leading to this).

2) His ability is held in the highest regard (certainly for an European), and also the way he applied those skills. Decision making, touch, shooting, positioning, spatial awareness, vision, connecting with team-mates and the blend between the functional and imaginative. You won't hear coaches and pundits saying he was a tactical liability, lazy or a luxury for your team. When it comes to his style of play and ability, the main voiced negative is his tough tackling edge (on the field). Sometimes it is also said he didn't score like an all-timer (at Arsenal), but he scored more goals when the main striker was not playing (including that Newcastle goal) and his assist and pre-assist rate from open play was outstanding.

The main criticism against him was his failure to win the Champions League (European Cup) or a national team tournament. This was in particular glaring because he came directly after a generation (MvB, Gullit, Rijkaard, Koeman) that won a national team tournament and won the Champions League more than once independent from each other. It is however also acknowledged he wasn't a failure either;

1) As mentioned, he has more major UEFA trophies as Baggio, Zola, Cantona, Weah, Romario and Batistuta tossed together. Reached finals as cornerstone for three different clubs and three different countries (6 goals, 8 goals, 4 goals), with his individual impact rarely in doubt.

2) Still has some good 'big' games at the Champions League, and some great moments there (the Juventus assist, Lazio nutmeg, the curled shot against Dortmund, the Leverkusen lob etc.). He also had useful contributions in the 2005-06 season when Arsenal reached the final (including forcing an important injury time winner as 36-years old). It might be argued he has more good Champions League games as several other greats of his generation. In fact, the Champions League was the main way his countrymen followed him after he retired for the national side. The CL and the highlights were/are on terrestrial television.

3) He was topscorer at euro 1992 and top assister in 1998 and 2000. Also here a number of decisive goals and outstanding moments against teams like England (three times, in competitive matches), Brazil, Germany, Argentina, France - and tends to do well in OPTA Index type of things (even in euro 1996).

That all (tentatively) adds up to him being recognized as one of the most impactful players of his generation.

poetgooner and carlito86 repped this.
  21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well it appears a travel by train to Firenze takes four/five hours longer than by car, and that's only from station to station. So that is 9-10 hours in total, from station to station. From time to time he used the train, including the 1998 World Cup, but also that was seen as something exhaustive. There are photos of him signing autographs (photos made by supporters) while he's sitting in the train.

22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Henry has stopped short of saying bergkamp was a better player than zidane but I’m pretty sure that’s what he meant
    Arsenal fans will have to wait approx 50-100 years for a player like bergamp to join their ranks

Even a World class attacking midfielder like ozil only possesses one of bergkamps defining traits (the ability to play a expert final ball- usually a through ball)
    Even then I would argue bergkamp was a more varied technical passer

In terms of finishing,big game mentality and close control dribbling the Dutchman is in another league all together
    remember at one brief stage ozil was actually challenging Xavi Hernandez in La Liga for title of best midfielder in Europe (around 2010-2012) according to MANY sources
    So is no average talent but compared to bergkamp there is a huge difference

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #48 carlito86, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    @PuckVanHeel
    Would you agree with Dennis Bergkamp being the most technically gifted European player of all time

Here where I’m referring to technical ability I’m mainly focusing on 3 aspects
    1.)1st touch and trapping skill
    2.)Passing range relative to his position
    He played SS for Arsenal and main striker for Ajax 91-93
    3.)shooting technique

I think there are a few players who can match him in some of these but definitely not all
    1.)Only zidane had his effortless 1st touch but I hardly saw him make goat ball controls in high pressure situations (usually he did so in acres of space)

2.)for a player who is essentially a striker Dennis Bergkamp is the greatest passer of all time
    Period

I never saw a European forward with his ability for the final ball and that includes prime Cruyff 71-74,baggio,Cristiano
    Maybe Cruyff When he played a deeper role for Barcelona and Feyenoord demostrated his array of passing abilities but till now I never saw him to be an expert in any type of pass even though he could perform most (including ones with a high degree of technical difficulty such as outside of the foot passes)
    Bergamp made more assists than goals for arsenal and scored more goals than assists for Ajax

3.)the vast majority of Dennis bergamps best goals involved a high degree of technical difficulty
    Whether that meant trapping the ball like he did against Leicester City or Argentina
    Dinking or lobing several keepers
    Or that piece of skill he did vs Newcastle that hasn’t been repeated before or since
    Bergamp was pure technique even if at Ajax he had a blend of athletic abilities aswell yet his technique is what always shone brightest

I have no reason to believe that bergamp is anything less than a top 20 European player of all time and a top 10 “league performer” of the last
    30 years(including all major European leagues)
    Bergkamp was consistently ranked top 10 player in the 90s including top 3 in 92
    Best player in eredivisie 92
    Best player in England 98
    Compared to contemporary “legends” like ibrahimovic,Suarez,robben and many others who did not match this level of consistency even playing with greater advantages (ie playing on completely dominant teams with more chances to shine and stat pad)
    Neymar only appeared to match this level of consistency due to his marketable image that enabled him to make top 10 ballon dor in years he clearly did not deserve it (2013)

Really I don’t think we’d ever seen a player with bergkamps overall technical skillset(maybe Ronaldinho but he was a weaker finisher imo and his ball control was elite but only comparable to bergkamps OFF THE PITCH
    For commercials and in training

Maradona can perhaps compare but not in finishing ability (a substantial amount of his goals were from set pieces and I think it’s clear bergkamp was better at trapping the ball and had better shooting technique)

Really bergkamp is a unique player and I know you think MVB deserves a spot next to Cruyff as Holland’s undisputed best but I don’t
    The truth of the matter is if Van Basten had maintained his technical level he showed pre 87(Ajax) for Milan and had a full career with the possibility that his best years were yet to come he could’ve even made top 5 in history
    I’m pretty certain of this

The reality is the Van Basten that played for Milan was largely limited in his capacity to influence a match beyond scoring
    Milan version of Van Basten wasn’t a more impressive dribbler or technician than ibrahimovic for example

Bergamp even with less collective achievements should rank above for being a more well rounded spectacular player
    And also a demonstrably technically superior player
    Van Basten for Milan was only really better at finishing chances

24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    “One night last year some legends of Dutch football gathered for dinner in an Amsterdam house. Around midnight conversation turned to an old question: who was the best Dutch footballer ever? Dutchmen have been voted European Footballer of the Year seven times, more than any other nationality except Germans. Yet Jan Mulder, a great centre-forward turned writer, chose a player who had never even threatened to win the award nor, at the time, a Champions League: “Bergkamp.” He had the finest technique, said Mulder. Guus Hiddink, the great Dutch manager, nodded, and so the matter was settled.”
    https://www.ft.com/content/017c244e-d6da-11da-b64c-0000779e2340#axzz1tS5U1MZp

25. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #50 carlito86, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    As per usual your observations are way of the mark
    Usain bolt does not have the required technical level to play football in any 1st tier league
    God knows he has been trying using his fame as a platform to get fast tracked
    There are rumours he will play for an obscure team in Mexico managed by Diego Maradona but we will see

You are completely deluded if you think a 45 year old zidane isnt a better footballer than usain Bolt.
    Less technical players Rivaldo and Romario were able to play football at a reasonably high level past the age of 40

Many players (world class players )in Real Madrids 1st team were still learning how to play football from a 40+ year old zidane in training sessions
    They only thing bolt could teach them is how to improve their sprinting technique and THATS IT

Secondly it is true bergkamp lost the fan poll to Henry for Arsenal’s greatest ever player

Personally i think it’s tight but I wouldn’t argue against it either because Henry was consistently World class during his peak.
    besides 1997/98 bergkamps form could fluctuate from terribly bad to absurdly great
    Bergkamps peak at arsenal would rank above Henry but Henry was consistently more devastating
    But here’s the thing:
    Henry’s career was effectively kick started at arsenal
    At Monaco and juventus nobody cared about who he was
    He was a faliure as a winger in Serie A and wenger comverted him to wide striker

Before arsenal Dennis bergkamp had a great career and in fact was ranked the 2nd best player in the world at a certain point for Ajax (1993) beating prime cantona and losing to the best ever year of Roberto Baggio
    He also outplayed top 50 all timer Rómario over the course of a season twice in Holland

So in the premier league Henry will be marginally ranked above bergkamp but historically( taking into account their whole careers) bergkamp simply blows him away
    He was a complete forward (and by most accounts also athletically gifted)

Link me some matches where Henry was able to dribble as fluidly as bergkamp did here in a Euro championship semifinal
    Also check 5:50-6:03 for his explosive speed something he did not really show in his arsenal days