Dempsey: Fulham v. Middlesbrough 12/20 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by dcochran, Dec 20, 2008.

1. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Have Fulham lost since Clint regained a regular starting place? IIRC, no.

2. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize Proxy...didn't mean to spoil that for you. I will avoid that in the future.

3. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure but they are unbeaten in 6 or 7 matches though.

4. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico

anyone? Beuller?

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't say I didn't tell u so....

6. proxyone

proxyone New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. It's not like it's tragic. But in these days of DVR....

Again thanks for the consideration.

7. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone post the ratings when they find them. I think Clint had a really solid game and it will be interesting to see how they rated him.

8. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Here's a quick look at the big picture with Fulham so far and Clint Dempsey:

With Clint Dempsey in First XI: 3 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss.
    With Clint Dempsey on bench: 3 wins, 2 draws (including at Portsmouth where CD tied it off the bench), 4 losses

Draw your own conclusions.

10. Hungry Dave

Hungry Dave Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    One more thing about Fulham (not CD-related) - guess which team is currently leading the Premier League in points accumulated at home? (of course, there are other games to be played still this weekend)

It's funny how much two months can change the perspective of a manager's ability (Hodgson).

12. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    He's one of Fulham's best players?

He's been hugely important for two seasons in keeping Fulham up?

Now, even after some clear upgrades in multiple positions, Fulham are a much better side when Clint is playing. Even in the draws lately, Clint has been good at linking up well, helping open defenses. He's also been putting good chances on target, it's nice to see him get an easy one (and finish it cooly).

Great pass by Murphy there, Clint didn't have much work to do, but did it well.

While I was disappointed his comments came out in the Press, I'm very happy with Clint for fighting through another rough patch. He does this time and time again. He'll have a slump, have the BS mob will point out that he lacks pace, isn't really that good, etc.

Then he ALWAYS comes back, always shows his quality, always puts his head down and earns his spot back. Now he's locked a starting spot down on a top-half EPL side, and it's not a fluke. They've been playing strong football, their defense is just spectacular, and Hodgson has them doing things they couldn't last year.

FINISHING GAMES. I can't remember the last time they've conceded boneheaded goals in the last 5 minutes. IMO the only thing that can really knock Fulham off the path is January transfers. Hangeland is going to draw some real attention, and Bullard could leave. They can handle losing Bullard if they find a decent replacement, but Brede is Fulham's best player.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brede has helped make fulham's defense one only Arsenal can dream of, and even Liverpool envy. Solid as a rock back there. Roy has got to be given alot of credit for building that marble slab that is the Fulham defense.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Why does someone have to come along evrey single time and say something off the wall and ruin a good YA day?

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your right, Hangeland has definetly not been sought out by Arsenal as a solution to their backline problems. Care do edumicate me on how many goals Fulham have given up in the past 5 games compared to Arsenal?

Or how about how Fulham were going down last season ;)

16. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    My conclusion is that these stats are totally meaningless.

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I've cleaned up the spoiler (Ragin, I sent you the PM before I saw your subsequent post to Proxyone). I've also cleaned up the unnecessary debate about the spoiler. And I've cleaned up some random aggression.

I hate to think what this thread would be like if Clint hadn't scored.

18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you have against random aggression? It's what keeps the world turning.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not completely. It says Dempsey's started half the time, and in the games that he hasn't started, Fulham has lost more often.

That's all -- but infer what you will regarding Dempsey's influence when he does start. And I'm sure we will. :)

Can't wait to see the highlights later...

Match report -- sportinglife.com

Player ratings -- skysports.com

As for the ratings, Dempsey gets a 7 from the skysports.com panel, behind teammate Bullard's man-of-the-match 8.

Next up for Dempsey and Fulham: a trip to White Hart Lane to face Tottenham Hotspur on Boxing Day.

20. Cornnolio

Cornnolio Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Simon Davies and Dempsey both get a 7? That is a complete joke.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

I thought he was giving props to Sigi.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was giving props to Sigi he would of made trophy gesture along with the belly rub ;) :D

23. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Dempsey's goal was great. Good vision by Murphy and good positioning by Clint, he was wide open. Nice to see him score again. He never gives up.

24. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Good thing Clint isn't at Villa. Not exactly the same celebration but you get the point.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has revealed that he hates it when players celebrate scoring goals by cradling their arms together. "If it is any one of our boys I don't care whether they have had twins, quadruplets or 19 children at the one time," he said. "I will go absolutely apoplectic." (Daily Mirror) http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7793153.stm

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I find it interesting that with every manager that Fulham hires, Clint makes his eay to the bench, ands then re-wins his place in the XI. The kid is very resiliant, and he's actually surprised me. He's better than I thought he was.

Well done Clint