PBP: Dempsey: Europa Cup Final; Fulham vs Atletico Madrid 05/12/10

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by jcsd, May 11, 2010.

1. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I understand that (you need not be so condescending...). And as I said above, I believe they are a better team with Dempsey in the side than with Davies.

2. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats fine, but its the comment that he should move because has to keep proving himself at Fulham drives me insane. Should he just be guaranteed a starting place? Of course he should have to constantly prove his worth in a team with other good players that play his position - its called being a professional. Out of any of our players in Europe, Dempsey has proven that he is capable of competing for his place and should be the last person we should be worrying about in their current situation - except maybe Timmy and M.B.

I am not saying that he shouldn't make a move, but my issue is with people that think he should move because the situation would automatically be better than the very good situation he has at Fulham currently.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game away to Portsmouth a couple of years back was also very big....

4. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    He should move if what was keeping him at Fulham was out of a sense of loyalty, a trait most Americans playing in England have exhibited.

Fulham haven't shown him a great deal of loyalty (in spite of his production), aren't a particularly good or ambitious club, and I think it's safe to say that a club who is willing to splash cash on him will also give him at least as much of an opportunity to prove himself.

5. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I am not being condescending you horrible little man :p

I can see why (beyond being a Dempsey fan) you might prefer Demspey there. Demspey is maybe Fulahm's most skillful player (certainly in the way you'd traditionally use the word 'skillful') and defintely their best finsiher, but Davies is Fulham's best crosser whereas crossing is something that is conspicously lacking from Dempsey's game.

Myself I don't know, I wouldn't come down strongly on either side as to who's th best leftwinger for this team. With Davies the team has a better attackign shape which is what Hodgson has gone for.

6. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    I can't believe people are 2nd guessing Hodgson at this point

7. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    Nobody's saying he shouldn't be receptive to offers from top teams, if there are any. But he's in an incredibly good situation right now. There is no reason to go actively seeking something else.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    BBC Matchtracker again:

From Pete in the USA "Biggest game in Fulham history, looking for glory from Dempsey today.. GO ON YOU WHITES!!!"

Rep to Pete.

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said I was a Dempsey fan? I was a Fulham fan before I'd ever heard of Clint Dempsey. I've watched a lot of Fulham this year (more than you, I'd guess) and their best performances against good teams featured Gera and Zamora up front with a Dempsey, Duff, Murphy and Etuhu in midfield.

10. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    He won't have to actively seek something else.

My point is really pretty simple. Hopefully any sense of loyalty that was keeping him at Fulham is no longer present. If he deems it his best situation, then stay. If not, then go.

11. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Agree with this. The reality is that mid-table EPL is basically where Dempsey (and, for example, Donovan) belongs...and FFS his club is in the UEFA cup final today

12. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, like I said, I understand why he's going with the lineup he's used with success in the past few Euro games (and I think he's done an amazing job this season). With that being said, Roy isn't infallible... If he had had his way, Bobby Zamora wouldn't have been with Fulham at all this season....

13. gmodo

gmodo New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone else getting an error from the UEFA.com website?

totally worth throwing down the tenner for this match but does not seem to be working in three different browsers! ARG 9 mins to go

14. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i AM OUT OF HERE, IF HE'S NOT PLAYING WHO CARES ABOUT FULHAM

15. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    drop the puck

16. Dirk Muijskens

Dirk Muijskens New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If not starting in the final which should be a reward for the work put in to get there as well as being easily one of the top 10 players on the club then he should rightly leave as this is anything but a incredibly good situation. This man is the main reason they are in fact still in this competition.

17. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    He'll be in soon enough. If Zamora is anything like he was against Hamburg, he shouldn't be starting and will eventually be pulled.

18. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    mmkaygby

19. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I assumed as there weren't many Fulahm fans in the US before McBride (that aren't even that many Fulham fans in London)

What I am saying is is wahtever you're feelings about whether Dempsey should start or not the fact that he hasn't started should not be seen as a snub and to be fair I don't think you're syaing it is.

20. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Not sure about your last sentence, but unlike Davies, without Clint they wouldn't even have been in the competition in the first place.

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope for Roy and Clint's sake Fulham hasn't dug too big of a whole before Dempsey comes on, like almost occurred against Hamburg, or Hodgson deserves a lot of flack for the failure. Roy is not infallible (iad beat me to this exact point and wording). In games that mean something you play your best. You don't base your decision on some small sample correlation. If it was over a much longer stretch, and applied to multiple situations (like in the PL), I could understand it. But it wasn't and didn't. So you employ Clint. It's not that hard to figure out.

22. Dirk Muijskens

Dirk Muijskens New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was going to take an incredibly audacious shot to beat the Juve defense in that game after they tightened up the back to secure advancement. Who else has the nuts on Fulham to pull that off?

23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not working for me either.

24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. And yes, I've been following Fulham since Marcus and Eddie were over there...

25. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    No one, but given the game situation, they probably had a 50% chance of advancing even without that shot.