Democrats In The Wilderness

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2176 Dr. Wankler, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Brilliant political calculation by former Democratic presidential candidate Sanders this week, BTW...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/20/us/politics/berea-college-bernie-sanders-mcconnell-tax-cut.html?rref=collection/newseventcollection/The Republican Tax Plan&action=click&contentCollection=Politics&module=Collection&region=Marginalia&src=me&version=newsevent&pgtype=article

HOW A TUITION-FREE COLLEGE TURNED INTO A CASUALTY OF THE TAX WARS

Berea College would seem to be an odd target for Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, a liberal hero and champion of the little guy. Celebrated as a model for how postsecondary institutions can help fulfill the American dream, the Kentucky liberal arts college admits only students whose families cannot pay for college — 98 percent use federal Pell grants, and 64 percent are first-generation college students.

The median family income of a Berea family is $29,000.

But a last-ditch effort by Mr. Sanders and Senate Democrats to embarrass Republicans — or at least delay final passage of the tax bill — rendered Berea collateral damage in the partisan wars in Washington. A provision in the tax bill, introduced by Kentucky’s senior senator, Mitch McConnell, would have exempted Berea from a 1.4 percent excise tax that will be imposed on the nation’s wealthiest colleges.. . .

By Wednesday morning, Berea’s president, Lyle Roelofs, was fielding calls from apologetic politicians. Republican leaders assured him that he still had their support. Democratic leaders told him the move was not personal.

But Mr. Roelofs said it will be personal for students whose education can no longer be funded.

“We’re a casualty of polarized decision making in the Congress,” he said. “We think the federal government supports what we do, but we aren’t particularly pleased that they’re making it harder for us to do it.”

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should take your whining over the Customer Service forum.

totti fan repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I voted for Stein. If she was being funded by a foreign government attempting to derail American democracy then we deserve to know about it. If I was conned, I'm prepared to admit it.

4. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Do people actually believe that Stein is a Russian agent or spy sent to deliver Trump the election? Anyway, great time for the establishment to punch down and exploit the situation to further attack the left.

5. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The memory-holing of the Clintons' relationship with Russian VIPs (and Saudis, for that matter) has been truly breathtaking.

stanger and Moishe repped this.
  7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you guys believe that Burr and Warner are investigating Jill Stein solely on the basis of that one photo, and please don't respond, in doing so making me think less of you.

The real reason they're investigating her is because the goal was always to cause chaos (and end sanctions). When Trump won counter to their expectations, all that was needed was for some influential people to tell Jill to ask for recounts in close states to fuel the illegitimacy of Trump's election.

And perhaps, the pervasiveness of Russian oligarchs in American political life is a sign that we're spending too much money on politics. It sure sends a signal to the Chinese aristocracy that they can buy an election, and if Trump is the outcome of this nonsense, I shudder to think who their preferred candidate would be.

sitruc and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get it?

Is the tax on their college endowments?

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, just another usefull idiot like Trump.

Asia Pacific economic zone meeting.

I mean Obama and Bush also did meet with Putin as Presidents.

But I do agree, the picture thing is a lefty internet meme, there are other things that the FBI allegedly has on Stein.

Probably undisclosed donations.

sitruc repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. And Berea has a relatively large endowment. That's how come students go there tuition free (though all have to do some kind of work on campus or on the college's farm).

And students won't be admitted if their parents make too much money. It has a very specific mission to educate poorer students, with priority given to students from Appalachia and international students from developing countries.

sitruc, Boandlkramer and ceezmad repped this.
  11. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/alimwatkin...vestigation-de?utm_term=.pm0dmpNnp#.xwNKnbj1b

"The Democratic National Committee refused to give FBI investigators access to their hacked servers, according to an FBI statement"

Contrast with:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/19/jill-stein-trump-russia-investigation-documents

"Stein says she’s cooperating with investigation into Russian interference"

Who in this situation looks like they have more to hide? The organisation (DNC) that is a whipping up a frenzy over Russian interference to distract from blame for their poor electoral performances and to avoid having to provide effective 'left' opposition policies to the government OR Jill Stein who clearly opposes Trump and is guilty of being too progressive for many.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  12. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great...a lot of people were invested in this organization.

The SJWs have just committed fratricide among one of the small organizations that was making some progress...

Cenk and Kyle Kulinski are out of Justice Democrats. Probably their biggest PR mouthpieces gone.

The poor comments Cenk was accused of were almost 20 years ago, when he was a conservative. I was conservative 20 years ago. Everybody changes. He apologized...

BTW, I’m not a huge fan of Cenk, but JD just shot themselves in the foot.

totti fan repped this.
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/justice-democrats-ousts-cenk-uygur_us_5a3eb4d1e4b025f99e178181

“The words and conduct in Mr. Uygur and Mr. Koller’s posts degrade what it means to be a Justice Democrat,” Justice Democrats executive director Saikat Chakrabarti said in a Friday evening statement announcing the board’s decision to demand Uygur and Koller’s resignations. “We do not feel that Mr. Uygur is fit to lead or participate in an organization that truly believes women’s issues and the issues of black and brown people are all of our issues.”

The Justice Democrats board reached its decision to call for their departures after hearing Uygur’s “side of the story” and consulting with the political candidates the group has endorsed, Chakrabarti said.

I posted a couple links in the "criticism of the political left" that addresses exactly this sort of "thinking."

Here's Uyger's side of the story...

Uygur apologized profusely for his past writing, telling The Wrap in an interview that his comments were “really insensitive and ignorant.”

“If you read that today, what I wrote 18 years ago, and you’re offended by it, you’re 100 percent right,” the progressive pundit said. “And anyone who is subjected to that material, I apologize to. And I deeply regret having written that stuff when I was a different guy.”

Uygur also noted that at the time, he “was still a conservative who thought that stuff was politically incorrect and edgy.

Sorry Cenk. Can't change your mind. Can't apologize for having once been an idiot or done stupid things. Once impure and unclean, always impure and unclean. We can't win elections with impure and unclean people men around, that's for sure...

14. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I’m ok with judgment of recent anti-progressive platform support. Take CA for example: they have the juice to implement UHC...and they undermined it

Purity test when it comes to policy? You’re goddamn right.

This was a hack job IMHO.

15. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And then there’s this piece of work..same person, different handle

IMG_7240.JPG

IMG_7241.JPG

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2191 superdave, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    I’ve never heard of the Justice Democrats. Crap like this is probably why.
    1. The last sentence doesn’t really connect with the first two. Not sure why theyre in the same paragraph.
    2. I suspect that Dems think superpacs are bad, but unilateral disarmament is worse.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    She wouldn't be my first choice but, hell, at this point I'd take Morton Downey Jr.

crazypete13 repped this.
  19. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Got my vote :coffee:

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oprah would not be a good President.

Kamala Harris might. Gillibrand might. Hassan might.

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Right now I'd vote for a ham sandwich over the incumbent.

22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    After the dumpster fire that is in office now, Charlie Sheen would be a better president.

I miss all the Biden memes - isn’t he in the running?

American Brummie repped this.
  23. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I like about Oprah is that, every reason Trumpites gave publicly (*) for supporting Trump, Oprah does it better. "Trump's a successful businessman!" Oprah built a bigger business, without a head start of millions of dollars from her dad, without ever declaring bankruptcy or getting into debt with dodgy Russians. "Trump had a successful TV show!" Oprah had a better show that ran longer and won more awards. There's basically no way a Trumpite can say they support Trump but not Oprah without admitting that it's about race or gender.

(*) not including the white supremacists or other variety of racists.

Val1 and charlie15 repped this.
  24. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    The fact that people are clamoring for Oprah Winfrey as a presidential candidate just shows how f*cked our system of government is. For the millionth time, business people make awful, terrible politicians. And she is just as vain as Trump. It's why she's on every single cover of her own magazine. It's not enough to let people know you have your own magazine. You have to plaster your face all over it, too. We're turning into a banana republic. I'm starting to think that the Middle East should bring democracy to us.

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Just citizenry with operating brains would be sufficient.