Democratic Failure Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MasterShake29, Mar 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I know this is a popular retort on the internet in general, but I'm struggling to see how it actually applies here.

(Insert retort of the type "hurr durr you said you were struggling!!")

2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1352 xtomx, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    1. The repeal of the ACA, which has been voted on by Republicans over 50 times, would by default repeal protection for preexisting conditions.

2. See this from Kaiser Health News quoting politifact.

There is NO health care/insurance plan to replace the ACA. Since preexisting conditions coverage is allegedly very expensive and less profitable, it is not surprising that there not be a plan or proposal to cover them.

https://khn.org/news/trumps-talk-on-preexisting-conditions-doesnt-match-his-administrations-actions/

3. 183 Republicans voted against protections for preexisting conditions this year.

https://thinkprogress.org/republica...-against-bill-to-do-that-hr-986-67718530f5ff/
    I could show more "work," but I am on my phone.

ToMhIlL, sitruc, Pønch and 2 others repped this.
  3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing I don’t support Trump and the republicans!

[emoji23]

4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1354 charlie15, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Funny, isn't it? I am willing to bet though that you knew that information. It is public knowledge and the D's made it one of the central parts of their campaign in 2018.
    For you it may be funny, it may be a game, but for a lot of people it is as close as life and death as it can be.

ToMhIlL, sitruc, Auriaprottu and 2 others repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re apparently unaware how John McCain’s thumb saved your children.

I’m going to make an equally controversial point...Bush II led us into Iraq.

Are you trying to win some contest for worst OG to own the libs?

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice effort but do you seriously think they didn't know about it? That has been in the news regularly for the last 8 years. The R's have been trying for years, since the ACA was passed, to undermine and destroy pre existing coverage conditions coverage. One has to be under living under a rock to pretend to not know anything about this.

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, but the demand was "show your work," so I did.

Also, he stated "none" in his group mentioned it.

And, he accused people of "scaremongering."
    Clearly, it is not.

Dyvel repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Gettin' voted into the White House
    Everything lookin' good to the people of the world
    But the Mafia family is my boss
    So every now and then I owe a favor gettin' down
    Like lettin' a big drug shipment through
    And send 'em to the poor community
    So we can bust you know who
    So voters of the world keep supportin' me
    And I promise to take you very far
    Other leaders better not upset me
    Or I'll send a million troops to die at war
    To all you Republicans, that helped me win
    I sincerely like to thank you
    'Cause now I got the world swingin' from my nuts
    And damn it feels good to be a gangsta

charlie15, xtomx and Smurfquake repped this.
  9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    John McCain, Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski

ceezmad and charlie15 repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't believe I've ever said it this plainly.

Thanks so much.

charlie15 and xtomx repped this.
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be multiple not Trumps, some will be far better than Trump, others will just be better than Trump.

Only one will have a chance to beat Trump.

luftmensch repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But why didn't your newsletters tell you that information?

13. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What "information" are you referring to?

As some of you know, I am intimately involved with our healthcare system on more levels than most, both personally and professionally.

Personally, I am involved in support groups for both the condition that affects my children as well as groups that aren't condition specific but offer support for families that deal with chronic conditions. None of those groups, of which some have people that specifically look for legislative issues that could become an issue for those in the group, have voiced a concern for the existing conditions provisions to be taken away.

Not one.

So yes, when people post in here about them being taken away I look at that as partisan scaremongering.

I am also involved with the Community Plan offered through UHC as well as UHC's Medicare division. Part of what I do is meet with groups of people that are aging into Medicare in an educational role, not a sales role. We run meetings all over the state to educate people on how Medicare works, what they have to do to not incur a penalty and lay out the different options. Most of these people are transitioning directly from an employer plan to Medicare but we do run into quite a few that are leaving an ACA plan.

I have never encountered anyone that was happy with their ACA plan. Not one. The biggest complaints are cost and what you get for that cost. There are couples in their early 60's that are paying $1000+ a month to have minimal coverage.

As a few posters like to point out, I have never been a proponent of the ACA for selfish reasons, I was concerned the change in structure would adversely effect my kids. Some of my fears were unfounded, true, and the fact that the existing conditions cat will never be put back in the bag has been the largest success of the program IMO.

But it's still horrible, expensive coverage, according to those that have had to have it that I have dealt with.

Any other snide questions?

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Not a fact.
    2. The GOPs have never proposed a replacement bill, have they? I'm being serious here...maybe they did and I forgot it because it wasn't a sincere and/or workable program.
    3. Even if the GOPs proposed such a bill, any health care wonk will tell you that in the long run the GOPs would either have to ditch the preexisting conditions guarantee, or their whole system would collapse.

xtomx, sitruc and charlie15 repped this.
  15. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really need to expand your circle of friends/acquaintances if you have not encountered anyone who was happy with their ACA plan. If I knew you, I could have introduced you to quite a few.
    At least you acknowledge being selfish with regard to the ACA.....Now if you could admit being selfish/self centered in general as well, that may be a good step toward redemption. :sneaky:

xtomx repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1366 ceezmad, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Forbes is no Liberal magazine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshua...moval-of-pre-existing-conditions-protections/

You can bury your head in the sand, but it does not mean that republicans are not trying.

The individual mandate was passed in exchange for insurance to cover per-existing conditions, so no individual means higher premiums for all to cover people with per-existing conditions.

That is why republicans want to kill the per-existing condition part of the ACA.

xtomx, superdave and charlie15 repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know what you mean by this response.

18. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article was written almost a year ago and stated there would be a vote "by the end of the year", which would have meant LAST year.

Was there a vote? Did all the groups I am actively participating in just miss the largest reason we have a legislative watchdog?

19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, my original motives were selfish, but the rest of my post stands.

And these aren't "friends/acquaintances", I and my group have dealt with 5000+ people in Ohio over tha last year in an educational role with UHC.

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fact.

2. Not that I am aware of. The Trump administration has a tendency to blather without actually doing anything so I am not surprised.

3. There is way too much support publicly to ditch the preexisting conditions guarantee. It won't ever be touched.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    luftmensch repped this.
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things take time

https://www.medpagetoday.com/publichealthpolicy/healthpolicy/81868

The article does think Roberts would side with the ACA if it goes to the SC.

But again, this is the Republicans trying to kill the ACA and that means killing the per-existing condition, they know the pre-existing condition is popular, they are just counting on people being to dumb to realize that the GOP wants to kill it.

They may not be wrong, example below.

The same people bitched that the individual mandate was too much government interference, ignoring that it was a compromise to cover things like pre-existing conditions.

And now that the individual mandate was killed and insurance companies have to make up that revenue from somewhere else to cover things like pre-existing conditions, those people bitch about the ACA getting too expensive.

So yes the GOP may get away with killing the pre-existing condition and those people will blame Obama.

dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may not be wrong, true.

But until there is real action toward that end, it’s all partisan scaremongering.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is real action, it just has not happened. It is scaremongering until it happens I guess.

That mentality is why it may actually happen.

As someone pointed above, it has not happen yet because 3 Republican Senators stopped their party from making it happen and voted against killing the ACA.

xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    More anecdotal evidence. Obamacare saved my brother's life in the past year.

xtomx, sitruc, charlie15 and 1 other person repped this.