Democratic Failure Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MasterShake29, Mar 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1051904531913760768 is not a valid tweet id

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cherokee Nation did not appreciate the DNA test.

Who can be part of an Amerindian Nation is very political, so this is the Cherokee Secretary of State making a political statement to defend their laws of citizenship, basically using the PR to remind everyone that just because some 29.99 test may claim you have Indian blood, that does not make you an Indian legally.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-nation-slams-warren-dna-results/1656463002/

bigredfutbol and fatbastard repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

And more important, she did it just to troll some poor whitelandians. Bad Warren!!!

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that true? Because they are spending millions in ad money touting their expansion of spending on the opioid crisis, while suing to kill protection of pre existing conditions. Neither laissez-faire nor politically savvy in either case.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I spoke of two specific issues that you brought up. Look at how Republican representatives in general -at the federal, state or local level- vote when it comes to the minimum wage and to health care issues, and then tell me if it’s not true.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am telling you it is not true. Republicans in many US states are pushing for removing pre-existing conditions via a lawsuit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...trip-protections-for-pre-existing-conditions/

example from Wisconsin, last year.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...-floats-dropping-pre-existing-condition-rules

But if we wanted to focus on voting, just look at how little Congress has gotten done. The number of laws passed this Congress fall below the historically unproductive 2011-2012, 2013-2014, and 2015-2016 Congresses.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/statistics

I am sure there is an argument to be made that Republicans actually do care about more than reversing whatever Obama wanted, regardless of what it was, but you're not making that argument. Nobody is. I don't know what that argument is.

taosjohn, xtomx and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was an incredibly stupid move by Warren. Doing it just a few weeks before the Midterms was especially stupid. Hopefully it blows over soon.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I can't believe that it would change anybody's vote. But it was tone deaf, yeah. Plays into Trumpish stupidity. He wants to make political discourse about personalities, not policies, and she just did that.

superdave, Dr. Wankler and bigredfutbol repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You have posted this on several threads, without understanding the context.

Senator Warren is NOT claiming Cherokee Nation citizenship.

What Mr. Hoskin said, "A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship," Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin Jr. said in a statement,
    is not inconsistent with Senator Warren or why she had the DNA test done.

sitruc, Auriaprottu and fatbastard repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Cherokee S.S. is making sure people understand this.

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With that, we are in agreement, except he is saying that she is not "eligible" not that she is not seeking "citizenship" in the Cherokee Nation.
    There is a significant difference between the two and it is not just a matter of semantics.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She should not say that she is based on family tradition that she has Cherokee dependence (a free country, she and all can say what we want), just that if anyone want to claim Amerindian heritage, a family story or DNA test is not sufficient.

He (on NPR) specifically commented on heritage.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/15/6574...hallenges-trump-over-native-american-ancestry

Now this is a spokesperson of the Nation, he may not reflect the thoughts of the whole nation.

Plus he is just covering for the nation to let people know that it does not matter what DNA test may say (regardless of Trumps dumb challenge) you should not (again free speech and all) claim you are native American with out at least trying to go thru the steps of verifying.

Now, Warren is free to tell her family story and with the DNA to back it up she has more power to her story.

The Cherokee S.S. would just prefer she did not, but he has no power or recurse to stop her or anyone from doing it. Is just an ask, not a threat.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This doesnt contradict what I said. And getting rid of those regulations is part of the Republican agenda as well.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would think they care mostly about Warren’s actions not setting a precedent for people to claim Cherokee ancestry based on those types of tests.

soccernutter repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1065 ceezmad, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Actually, he may not care much about Warren or people doing it (by that I mean just saying out loud that they may have American Indian blood), but he is a political appointee by the Cherokee Nation, so he is making sure that on this 15 minutes of free PR he is getting his point across on what the political rules are for all of us to know.

In a way I do not fault him for that.

Because otherwise if his point is that no one should claim Amerindian descent with out actually having done the paper work, he can go fvck himself.

Most Mexicans (and many other Latinos that did not totally ethnically cleanse the natives) we claim Mestizo heritage all the time. No Cherokee Secretary of State can say that we can't do it.

But again, I do not think he is really saying that, just getting his message across when he is able.

So in that way @xtomx is actually correct.

xtomx repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's how Burlesconi (sp) won in Italy: whenever it was a personality contest, the professional personality won. When it was about policy, Belusconi lost. Incredibly stupid to play this game now.

soccernutter repped this.
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it? Right now Scott Walker is campaigning with an ad highlighting how important it is to save the pre-existing protections his lawsuit is attacking.

Do you see what I mean? They literally don't stand for anything.

sitruc, xtomx and superdave repped this.
  18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know what Scott Walker stands for, he fancies himself a moderate independent. But I can tell you that by and large Republicans stand for getting rid of - or at the very least against increasing - the minimum wage, and in general for keeping health care as much as possible in the private sector. On the other hand, Democrats who stand for the most part for increasing the minimum wage and for increasing the public role in health care.

Funny, the two examples you brought up do show a clear philosophical contrast between the two parties. I'm not sure if that was your intention.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't figure out why you can't figure this out, but if that's the objective

Attached Files:

sitruc repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I really do not think that Scott Walker "fancies himself a moderate independent."
    There is nothing moderate about his actions over the past 7 years.
    There is nothing independent about his thoughts or actions over the past 7 years.
    He is very conservative and is completely in the pocket of the Koch Brothers.

He was a "firebrand conservative."

NOW, he is trying to run a centrist.
    He has been that way for at least a month, maybe longer! :thumbsup:

http://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-scott-walker-wisconsin-governor-election.html

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Either way, the point I was making was that Republicans in general are more in favor of a larger role for the private sector in health care and Democrats in general are more in favor of a larger role for the public sector in health care.

If Mr. Walker is campaigning on something that contradicts this, as Brummie posted, it doesn't matter if he's doing it because he fancies himself a centrist or because he is trying to run as a centrist. That is not important at all in terms of my argument.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's stupid but it's not particularly important. Other than perhaps a few Cherokee Nation leaders, nobody is going to change their mind on Warren based on this.

superdave repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Hoskins being interviewed on NPR this morning (the same as in the link above, I'd guess), and I agreed with 90 percent of what he said about appropriation, heritage, ancestry, the Dawes registry, etc. And I certainly understand his concerns with how DNA results like this could potentially lead to more misunderstandings rather than fewer with regard to those issues.

But -- at the same time, I thought he was, at least implicitly, attributing arguments --- or perhaps positions is the better word --- to Senator Warren's decision to take the test, that she in no way intended. My understanding is she heard the family lore as a child, the idiot in the oval office has racially mocked her for it for nearly two years, but now she has test results indicating that there might be some basis to the family lore. No more, no less.

Funkfoot, sitruc, ceezmad and 2 others repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, that seems to be exactly the case.

This is a non-issue, really.

Thanks for the succinct description.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Forget about Elizabeth Warren's fictious family folklore, the real question is since she identifies as Cherokee and Delaware what exactly has she done for Native Americans in the 30+ years?