DeMerit to Wolfsburg?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by JYDA, Sep 6, 2010.

1. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how reliable TEAMtalk is, but MLSsoccer linked it.

http://www.teamtalk.com/papertalk/6379109

2. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Kind of suprised there has not been more interest from the Hammers prior. His style and grit are desperately needed along the back there and as a relatively inexpensive "team" guy, could be a great locker room presence to improve their lot and/or easily follow them down to the Championship without requesting a move.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very much agree with that, West Ham's D is in shambles right now, it has been previous years but theyve gotten away with it due to the lower end of the table being so poor. They will not have that luxury this year as Newcastle and West Brom are more than capable of survival. West Ham dont have one defender with the exception of Upson that establishes control of the backline, and even he doesnt have the tenacity and bite that Demerit would bring.

4. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. agibson

agibson New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Prévessin, France
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Color me skeptical this morning (well, these are rumor stes, they're supposed to be junk, right?). But, it begins to sounds like they're just making all this stuff up.

We go from rumors of a suite of three German clubs interested, to a suite of three Premiership clubs, to
    "Everton in battle with Wolfsburg for ex-Watford defender"?

How does this become a battle, and not just rumors on top of rumors?

6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say it's "picked up speed". This is still just a Talksport (or "Talkshite" as some call it across the pond) story that BBC has cut and pasted into it's Friday football gossip report. We're still waiting to hear some news about Jay from a reputable source...

7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Further to this, out of curiosity I just checked the Premier League website to see whether any of the three mentioned PL clubs (Stoke, West Ham and Everton) actually named less than 25 players in their squad. Turns out both Stoke and West Ham named full 25 man squads (as such, Jay couldn't play in the league for either of those teams until January). Lazy, lazy journalists... If you're going to make up links, at least pick teams with available roster space....

8. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Everton have 25 players. I saw them with 21 players announced.
    http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/09/01/blues-squad-of-21-confirmed

One of their 25, James Vaughn, is on loan at Crystal Palace (scored a hattrick on the Tuesday) but I don't know how that affects that.

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    To me Everton makes A TON of sense.

DeMerit would be a fantastic squad player at a club like Everton. He's frickin' free for Christ's sake. That's not a club with a ton of money to spend, and aren't deep. Jay, at this point, is probably cheaper than players of equivalent value.

The guy just started, and I thought did well, against some very good players at the World Cup. How can he not have a team? I'm sure he's not asking for too much money. Is the eye problem bigger than I realize?

11. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The impression I've gotten is that he is waiting for the perfect situation and that, therefore, he's in no rush to jump into a squad.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's a lot more reasonable.

13. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    makes sense. And they'll have a pretty good defense for an expansion club.

14. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The longer this process goes on the more Jay is starting to sound like that 36 year old single woman who constantly complains to her married friends how she can't find that great guy: tall, handsome, a surgeon, loves kids, great listener, killer in the sack... But in reality her ideal man either doesn't exist or wants nothing to do with her but her friends still encourage her to not give up when they really know she's doomed if she doesn't change her ridiculous standards.

15. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    More likely he got offers from League 1 or 2nd Bundesliga and he decided he'd rather go to MLS, which required waiting until the team with allocation rights started playing.

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for designated player money, it doesn't. Demerit can't get a club anywhere (because he is past it) but Vancouver is going to pay him DP money? If this is typical of Vancouver's thinking, it will be interesting to see what their roster looks like.

17. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gimme a break, you think Demerit is getting regular MLS money from the clubs offering him contracts (and will be clubs offering him contracts)? Ya right. He's probably been offered some pretty good money at a club he just doesn't want to go to. DP money makes sense for both parties.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think any MLS team would be foolish to tie up DP on Demerit. He was poor in the World Cup and isn't going to get any better. Plus, it's just not smart to tie up DP money on a defender or a goalie, which is why most MLS teams don't do so. Poor decision by Vancouver, assuming it isn't BS.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd imagine heading to MLS would be a "backup" for him if the rumors with him heading to Everton or Wolfsburg are true. Even if he would be brought in for depth, he would eventually get a chance to start. Plus getting a good paycheck.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Eh, paying him $400K or so wouldn't be a bad idea for an expansion club.

Philly lost a bunch of points due to its porous central defense (and a series of GK blunders).

A guy like Demerit could anchor and organize/lead the troops around him.

It'd make sense for a new franchise to do this.

21. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im certain he was being offered better money in europe, but that doesnt make it right to fork over DP money on a CB, especially a CB who is injury prone. I mean this guy was injured more then healthy in this past WC cycle.

While he certainly could demand DP money, and rightfully so, i couldnt see any team using a DP slot on a CB.

Outside of Donovan, has any returning Yank earned DP money?? Both BMB and Keller rank up around 325k.

22. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guess 400k would be labeled DP money so i guess its not always an outrageous sum. Assuming he stay healthy, i guess that wouldnt be a bad option. Though he would be the HIGHEST paid defender.

i guess its ultimately up to Vancouver if they want to make him a Des.Player, but im assuming if he returns he'll probably get paid 225-300k

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Remember a little guy named Claudio Reyna? Earned 1 million/year from the Red Bulls. Wasn't considered the best investment, since he produced close to nothing for the team.

24. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, guess i missed one. didnt help he was injured so long