DeMerit to Wolfsburg?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by JYDA, Sep 6, 2010.

1. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
  2. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally some news on Demerit!

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    For the record, Italian international Andrea Barzagli and the very young Danish international Simon Kjær have started the first 2 matches for Wolfsburg this season at center back.

On paper that's a tough pairing to jump ahead of although Wolfsburg lost both matches.

4. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian Johnson, who could technically play for the US is also a defender there as is World Cup starter Arne Friedrich. Tough to say no to the wages Wolfburg will be able to offer, but Schalke and Werder Bremen will have less competition.

Has anyone else noticed the German league is bringing in a ton of very good players? I say it's clearly overtaking Serie A and as a whole you can already argue that the Bundesliga is overtaking La Liga (in terms of top to bottom). The money is really being spent-responsibly. Hopefully we get more German soccer on free tv.

5. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    very funny to hear English rags called it a 'shock move'. Jay is good enough for BL + he's proven he can go overseas, and gut out the toughest of situations already.

McClaren, being English coach, will naturally look for some he is familar with....but there is a shockingly low amount of English who ever even think about going to the BL and actually do it...so if there was ever a risk- its taking an Englishman to try to succeed in Germany, not Jay. We actually have a history there (unlike the English).

6. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fyp

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A much better than expected list of suitors. Jay D has done well for himself!

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bundesliga is going to pass Serie A for #3 in the UEFA coefficient rankings this season. Next year, their poor 06/07 campaign falls off and they'll have a decent shot at Spain. If Germany does well the next two years and England stumbles, they could even challenge for #1.

9. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be nice and all, but does anyone really see him getting playing time at any of those 3?

10. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not completely surprising, you could kinda tell he was just waiting for the right offer.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    can't see him getting in over Mert Naldo or Prodl at Bremen, which would put him at least 4th on the CB depth Chart at Bremen.

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know. But it'll be a nice payday for him regardless

He probably doesn't have too much of a USMNT future left so it'll be nice to see him rewarded playing in the big time even if he only gets occasional playing time.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Screw the Nats. The man is getting P-A-I-D. This is the culmination of the most amazing successful YA story.

14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm completely shocked. I'm still not willing to believe it. I was surprised that there wasn't an lower EPL side or two interested in his service, but these teams are very good.

15. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's starter material for Wolfsburg but as a 3rd or 4th choice CB, I think he's a very solid option to have.

16. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

And no offense to Jay, but I don't see much validity to any of these three teams beyond some lazy English journalist just putting two and two together and drawing conclusions based on incomplete information.

Werder signed Mikael Silvestre last week to act as their 3rd choice CB and temporary cover for Naldo while he's recovering from an injury. Their search for another CB stopped as soon as that signing was made. And no offense to DeMerit, but he is a class below both Per Mertesacker and Naldo, and would almost certainly also be behind Silvestre and possibly Sebastian Prödl in the pecking order.

With Wolfsburg, they are set for starters with Simon Kjær and Arne Friedrich, once he's healthy again in November. In the meantime, Andrea Barzagli is more than apt to hold down the fort. DeMerit would certainly be behind all three of those guys, and probably also Alexander Madlung, who was an undisputed starter for all of last season, and is only on the bench now because Kjær and Friedrich are around.

I suspect the Schalke mention is only coming up because Christoph Metzelder has been less than spectacular in their first two league games and the club is having a generally "disastrous" start (if 2 losses in 2 games can be called disastrous) with all the usual overblown press garbage and questioning every person involved down to the ballboys going on. They aren't looking to replace Metzelder after just 2 games, and his usual partner Höwedes is not in question either (one of the big young CD prospects in Germany). Maybe if Magath is looking for a 3rd or 4th guy to cover in league play in the off-chance of a severe spate of injuries or cards (too late for new signings to be registered for Champions League) it could be possible, but even that seems like a long-shot.

Maybe I'm wrong, and in a way I hope I am since it would be great to see DeMerit in the Bundesliga, but I just don't see anything to this...not with any of these three teams.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see him playing for Bremen. Sorry but NO.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great news. I'd imagine DeMerit would just be added to teams of that stature as "depth" but better GLORY and pay than playing in the Championship or PL relegation fodder clubs. I hope he goes for it. Wonder what Spanish and Italian teams those could be?

19. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not really a shock. People go down hard on him because he played in the championship and hasnt signed on yet. He has a pretty impressive resume against who he has limited internationally. David Villa, Fernando Torres, Rooney. It was obvious he could play at the level. It may not be these teams, but it probably will be a decent club. Like Bob, he has a lot of respect in Europe than in the USA.

20. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    If he can catch on as a relatively cheap (for the clubs), battle-tested No. 4 CB at any of these places, he should do it - it's a good contract for him; his earnings started later than a lot of his peers. It'd be decent money, a good experience, a chance to play at a larger club and a new environment, and he seems like a real pro who would accept his role and work hard. Sounds like a fine situation for all parties really.

21. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Friedrich's injury is much worse than you state here. He had back surgery and could miss the entire season. DeMerit as cover makes a lot of sense for Wolfsburg

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    A quick note for all those attempting to trust UK rag writers with no divulged sources: Bundesliga rules dictate that a free agent signed now could not be registered to play until January (think back to Kamani Hill and Wolfsburg).

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have wanted a Bundesliga move for Jay for the longest time. I have always felt he could find his niche in that league. I like the names of the clubs mentioned. I do not know of thier needs at CB per se but I do know that Wolfsburg has looked particularly poor in the back in the first few games. It would be tough to break into the lineup but with Wolfsburg's league and Euro schedule games could be had for Jay. I like this option for Jay but if it doesn't materialize maybe there's an option further down the bundesliga table possible like an Eintrancht Frankfurt, St. Pauli, Hannover, etc.

24. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most recent thing from the club I read after the surgery was saying Friedrich is expected back in late-November - unless there's been come complications since then that I've not seen. I could see Wolfsburg maybe wanting to pick up an inexpensive veteran 4th option behind Kjær, Barzagli and Madlung in case they decide to take it slow with Friedrich (or are planning to offload one of the backups in winter). But generally speaking, they are pretty stacked at CB and Jay would have a hard time getting much time at all on the field - especially with the team having no European play this season.

As others have said, however, if they are offering a huge payday to primarily sit on the bench, one could hardly fault him for taking it.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn if that's the case. But I thought the BL had gone away with that rule on free agents. However you would know better than me. ;)