Defensive World Cup left a sour taste?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Native Aztexan, Jul 25, 2002.

?

Overall this year's World Cup was

1. Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    my opinion

the world cup was a success, however much of the quality faded in the knock out rounds... it wasnt defensive its just that their was a lack of quality and especially a lack in individual class(ie the team over the individual proved successful for many teams) except for Brazil(ronaldo,ronaldinho,rivaldo,juninho,denilson,roberto carlos, cafu, etc.)

the conclusion i make is that there are many issues needed to be adressed before 2006 qualifying starts so that star players like zidane and figo are not battered and exhausted and a change in tournament format so that any team can play any team in the finals and a shorter season

3. kevmmor

kevmmor New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Interesting article. I think it's funny that the world cup is seen as defensive considering that Brazil, a team with a relatively poor defense, was the tournament's champion. Furthermore, the offensive minded brazilians defeated the strong defensive teams of both England and Germany. Clearly, defense prevails!
    Also, the real star player of the tournament was a forward, Ronaldo (I don't care who got the golden ball). Just because many teams in the tournament played defensively, it doesn't mean that the strategy works or that it's worth emulating. Just look at what happened to Italy (in previous world cups as well...)
    Coaches who have watched this cup and still think that playing defensively works all the time are quite clearly fools.

By the way, the article mentions "Ronaldo's continual unsportsmanlike conduct in the tournament." What conduct is he referring to? Oh, I see, I guess, considering the ultra-rich modern athlete, the fact that Ronaldo donated his World Cup earnings to charity is very unsportsmanlike.

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Where in the hell did he get that from...?

Part of the problem here is you don't have to be any smarter than a few of the trolls in Bigsoccer to have an article published. And just because it's in print doesn't make it 'gospel'..!

5. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    I was disapointed!!!

I really thought this was a too defensive wc..... Some teams that shouldnt have even looked good to a bored old man with nothing to do .... Some teams just played boring defensive soccer and that sucked... *cough* USA,German

It sucked mostly for high quality teams like soo..
    Argentina
    France
    Mexico

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I was disapointed!!!

And that's what we call making excuses.

Hey, Argentina, France and the other high quality teams didn't make it out of the first round because they sucked. They played horrible. They combined for 2 goals in 6 games. France bored me stiff with their inept attack. You should be disappointed in the Thierry Henry's and Ariel Ortega's of the world for failing to deliver the goods and not the defenders who did their job of containing the "super forwards".

Hey, I'm really sorry that Latin fairy-ball didn't work in this world cup. But look to your own selves (*cough*, Mexico) for the blame.

7. Sao Taffarel

Sao Taffarel New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Well, one could hardly accuse Brazil of being defensive. For a period in the 2nd half v Belgium poor old Gilberto Silva was looking for someone to run back and put in a tackle!

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would imagine that he meant Rivaldo.

Sloppy journalism. Worse editing.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The article, at least the version I clicked on, specifically mentions Rivaldo's conduct, not Ronaldo's. They might have changed it, but in any case, it says Rivaldo.

10. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The fact that Brazil won the cup was a triumph over the defensive teams but that doesn't take away the the WC was defensive and left a sour taste. You all should remember that Germany went to the final by winning three 1-0 games. They were defensive to the max. Yes all the great teams like Argentina and France sucked and deserve what they got but that doesn't mean that the other teams played to a great level. It looked like a test with a curve so that people get A more because of what other teams didn't do that why they did. All the upsets would have been great had they been because those team played at a high level not because they other teams dropped down a level.

As for you Toot don't be a hypocrit. You say how Luis Hernandez can't be trashed for this WC after all he did for Mexico before and yet you said this cup sucked for Mexico because we lost to the US and don't recognize how good a first round they played and that it didn't suck for them. And that the main reason they lost to the US was because of Luis.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001

How did Mexico ever get to be a high quality team?
    Argentina have won 2 WCs and France 1.
    Mexico have made the QFs twice; not in the same league by any stretch of the imagination.

12. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    It is worth noting that from the Round of 16 on, only once did a team give up a goal first and come back to win in regulation (Brazil 2, England 1).

For that reason alone, perhaps, Brazil's penta was well-earned.

13. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002

surely mexico played 'offensive' during game.

Mexico was down 2-0 to US in 2nd half, and maybe their coach was yelling at their player to play offensive.
    so their captain head butted on Cobi Jones's face..
    different kind of offensive but still offensive.