Defending the Through Ball

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Timbuck, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I have a g2004 team. Mid tier competitive. We played a friendly yesterday against a g2003 team. They gave us a heck of a time on through balls. We've had some struggles defending them before, but yesterday was pretty bad. The age gap (size and speed) was a gap for us, but shouldn't have been that big of a deal.
    I could use some tips for my center backs.

A few things that we could have done better:
    1. Offside trap - There were at least 2 times that if we had stepped a few seconds sooner, they could have been offside.
    2. Keeper awareness- There was at least 1 time where our keeper reacted a bit too late and could have made an earlier play on the ball. We used a guest keeper in the 1st half who is good 1v1, but I think we play a higher back line than she is used too. In the 2nd half, there weren't as many chances. Possibly because the other coach called off the dogs a bit. It was 5-0 in the 1st half and ended 6-0.
    3. Hold our shape better. We play a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield. Our holding mid got caught a bit too high and wasn't able to provide 1st line of defense.
    4. Possess the ball better. We made some errant, forced passes when attacking that led to a turnover near midfield.

I guess I'm looking for specific Center Back tips and tricks. Which shoulder of the attacker to be on? How close to be? When to step? When to sit back?

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #2 rca2, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    In terms of defensive principles, cover defeats through balls.

In terms of team tactics, the likely problem is immediate pressure. In a solid team defense, the holding midfielder is not the first defender. Regardless of assigned position, the player closest to the ball is the first defender and applies immediate pressure. If that is done right, then the first attacker won't have time to lookup or the space to play a threatening through ball. The first defender approaches on a path that takes away the best passing lane.

Good defense starts while attacking. The position of holding midfielder is played behind the ball or on the ball, not in front of the ball. When the holding midfielder runs forward, he is leaving his position and someone needs to take over his responsibility to guard against the counter. This is why I don't like using role playing positions to teach youth. I like having the different midfield roles a shared responsibility so players learn to watch the game and adjust to what the other players are doing. Everybody should not hold back just as everybody should not run into the box.

I expect that you are playing a zone defense with 2 lines of 4 behind the ball. Think about adjusting your line of confrontation in response to your opponent's lineup and system and the substitutions made during the match. Think about how much space you want between the lines? This is largely dependent on the ability of your players to anticipate the play--their tactical quickness determines how much space they can influence. The faster the opponent plays, the smaller space your players can influence.

3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #3 rca2, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    A little more clarification how this fits together.

Typically a team is not high pressing and often the ball is turned over deep in the opponent's end above the line of confrontation. (The line of confrontation is often near the half line.) In that case, the role of the first defender is to delay giving time for the team to organize the 2 lines of four at the chosen line of confrontation. The first defender gradually withdraws and assumes his normal position in the team defense.

If the ball is lost at or behind the line of confrontation (but not right in front of the goal), then the 2 lines of 4 are formed on the first defender who is taking a place in the midfield line. If the ball is lost at the area near the goal where you don't want the defense to give up any more ground, then the midfield line forms above the ball and the first defender is part of the back line. The keeper is the cover.

The defense doesn't have to be organized this way, but this is pretty common.

4. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find this often happens when defenders ball watch, see the through ball coming and briefly freeze. Remember, defenders are facing the "wrong" way to track down such a ball, and the attackers are already facing goal ready to run. If the defender watches the ball, they'll be late on the turn and already chasing the attacker.

The back line needs to learn to recognize when the through ball might be delivered, and immediately drop off 3-4 steps, to get a head start on the ball in behind. If the delivery doesn't come, of course, they can step up again. 04s ought to be able to grasp this.

This is also how a back line can overcome a lack of speed. By dropping off early, not only do you get the head start, but you leave less space for the ball to be played into.

And as rca says, applying early pressure on the ball can keep the through ball from being delivered in the first place. The entire team, attacking mids and wingers plus forwards, must be willing to step and apply this pressure anywhere the through ball is a possibility.

rca2 repped this.
  5. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    If markers are facing the "wrong" way to track down a ball, then I think it is time to revisit fundamentals, specifically the proper defensive stance with one foot back instead of a "horse stance" (feet side by side).

If you are watching a pro game with a good view of the field, you can see the back line drop off whenever the ball is passed to an unpressured opponent.

6. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe "wrong way" is a bit too strong, but even if a defender is in proper stance as you describe, they are still facing primarily upfield away from their own goal. The attacker is primarily facing toward that goal, and it if the two are even it will still cost the defender a split second more time to get completely turned and sprinting back to cover. They still need to drop off early to get that cushion.

7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Main thing is that a "flat-back 4" is never actually flat. They need to execute Steps and drops.

We train a lot of our tweens/teenaged teams with a game called "Ditch". Set up a grid, say 15 long x 15 wide. Divide the area into 3 horizontal zones with 4 players in each zone. The objective is for the teams in the outer zone to play through balls through the middle zone for a points. You can also do a more defensive-focused scoring. Each team starts with ten points and each time they let a ball through they lose a point. Try not to be the first team knocked out.

Works on steps/drops and closing up the spacing and defensive communication.

Also give your GK a higher starting position (like penalty area) and have her ready to sweep away through balls.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Agreed. Generally speaking there is no difference between a diamond back 4 and flat back 4, except in a flat back four the role of stopper and sweeper is a shared responsibility. In all systems, players should adjust to maintain good positioning for the circumstances.

9. Malabranca

Malabranca Member

Oct 6, 2016
    I have definitely noticed that the greater occurrence of kids with "puberty power" has accentuated the use of the through balls. Thanks for the tips.