Default 3/2/2011: Aston Villa vs. Man City: FA Cup - Friedel/Bradley - 2045 GMT

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by bct81, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Bannan just got a ball in good position but bizarrely pulled to a stop. That was a case where he should've tried something.

Friedel with another good save.

2. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    depends on which side you take in the argument...

Coming from some, "OK" could very well mean a "world class performance" ;)

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In retrospect, yes. Bradley should have man marked him. It would also have helped if:

1. The original cross was prevented.
    2. Two Villa defenders didn't chase 1 City attacker and then
    3. Weakly clear the ball directly to Silva.
    4. Silva wasn't Silva.

Bradely looked slow leading up to that. I guess his Dad isn't the only one who leaves players on the pitch too long.

4. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good first half, sloppy 2nd half. The DM role he was playing was not ideal for him. Petrov is a holding mid that can sit back and read the game, Bradley is not. Why Petrov was the one going forward and Bradley sitting back, I don't know.

5. iammrben

iammrben Member

Jul 27, 2007
    DC (Petworth)
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm not clear why, on a 10-point scale, a 6 is considered average and a 5 is bad. This is just grade inflation here.

The way it should go...

1-2: conceded multiple own goals (i.e. plays exclusively against ManU), got an early red card, punted a teammate(s) in the berries
    3-4: bad performance in a more run-of-the-mill way
    5: had neither a positive nor negative influence on the outcome (or the positives were well-balanced by the negatives)
    6-7: good performance
    8-9: outstanding
    10: transformed feces into unicorns

I think it could be argued that MB rated a 4 or 5 in this one.

6. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By your standard he was the definition of a 5 in this match.

7. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking 5.5 before this points discussion started.

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Disappointing that Villa didn't make more of a game of it. For all of City's possession, they created very few chances while Bradley was on the field. Unfortunately, the ones they did get were golden, and they converted them ruthlessly.

In the 20 minutes after MB was removed, City had several opportunities to extend their lead. That's not to say he was anything special, but without him, they really had no defensive presence in midfield at all. Friedel made several saves in that stretch, enough to say that he turned in a good game.

As for Guzan, he wasn't on the bench. Was he cup-tied by Hull, or does Houllier simply want to push him out the door?

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't play in Hull's one FA Cup match while he was there on loan. If I recall correctly the reason given at the time was that Villa didn't want him cup tied.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    In retrospect I should probably not have tweeted to MB at halftime the rumor of Gulati's courting Marcelo Bielsa to oversee all aspects of the US men’s national team program. :eek:

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked very rusty to me. Had a couple of nice combination plays and occassionally linked well with fellow midfielders, but had some real clunker passes and he, Petrov and Bannon seemed to get in each other's way more often than not. Also obviously got gassed much earlier than normal for him.

Obviously he hasn't started a game for about 2 months, and I think it showed, plus he was playing with entirely new teammates, and I think that showed too.

I don't think he'll be starting in the upcoming BPL game his weekend.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He should have followed Silva.

As the announcers said, ~ "This is why Silva is Silva. He looked for the ball and he found the ball. Then he finished it".

Obviously, he was lucky the ball fell to him but he was also smart for moving laterally toward the cross.

Mikey is actually very good with this himself when he plays a more advanced position.

Many of his goals are "garbage" goals but being at the right place at the right time is certainly not garbage and requires both the work and the ability to read the game.

But he just fell asleep here and was punished.

Now, this I don't buy at all.

He's been in training for two months. His shape should be fine.

There can be plenty of reasons why he did as poorly as he did - some in his control, some in Houllier's, some are just random - but his conditioning can not be questioned.

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did anyone expect much more than villa gave given the makeup of both sides?

villa lucky to get out of here with this scoreline.

also villa are paper thin at the forward position seriously.....

14. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since my friggin' Fox Soccer feed (for which I paid too much money) kept freezing, I was only able to watch parts of the match, but I agree with the sentiment quoted above.

It's hard to say much about Bradley's performance based on this game. I've certainly seen him look better, but it would've taken a sensational effort from him to look notably better than average. He was surrounded by new teammates in a weak line-up against a much stronger team. If he'd looked great, we could say that he's probably gonna excel at Villa. If he'd looked wretched, we could say he's probably doomed at Villa. But he looked mediocre, which leaves us (well, me) unable to say anything with much confidence.

15. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    The only good news from the Villa loss...Friedel'sAccent won't have to root for Reading against Friedel'sTeam

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    first his career was over because he did not start the first few league games,
    now it is over because he didn't impress on his first start.

I think I'll hold judgement until I have a slightly larger sample size.

18. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're going to worry about having a large enough data set on which to base our analyses, the terrorists have already won.