Default 3/2/2011: Aston Villa vs. Man City: FA Cup - Friedel/Bradley - 2045 GMT

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by bct81, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dirty_South_Futbol

Dirty_South_Futbol New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    On the road
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley subbed off - he is not yet match fit, and understandably not used to the Premier League pace. He looked exhausted 10 minutes before he was subbed off....

2. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call.

Interesting debut from Bradley. Very solid first half, not quite as good in the second, but still ok. Looking forward to seeing whether he starts again at the weekend.

3. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't kept up with Villa this year but I hope this isn't their first-choice lineup, especially on defense. I know they have Bent but no way in hell does he make a difference today. What the hell happened to this team?

I don't think Bradley played a terrible game but he wasn't necessarily good either, kind of like the rest of the Villa squad.

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    No surprise Bradley is off he was bringing nothing to the game. All he did was make square passes and really wasnt influencing the attack. At least with bannan he is trying to make those passes. Hopefully we can get a goal so it's not such an embarrassment.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'd give him a 6. He never really was able to impose himself on the match. Some of that isn't his fault, some of that is his fault. His passing was generally pretty good though, and he made some nice runs, even if they were ignored. But Villa didn't put out an attacking midfielder who seemed capable of delivering good passes forward either.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I doubt Houllier told Petrov to play as a DM.

Neither Makoun nor Reo-Coker are playing, so MB is the logical deeper guy given who is on the field.

But as others have written, he may be more conservative/cautious in his debut start.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Keane was a Y-mid, not a destroyer.

Nicky Butt was the one who gave Roy his cover when he went forward.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Some good moments and some bad.

Seemed like he was instructed to stay at home. Got forward a few times, but not as much as we're used to seeing.

9. pwk1868

pwk1868 Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Chicago
    That was a nice finish by Silva, he is a class player. The defender clearing that ball basically passed it right to him. Seems like Bradley had kind of a meh match some good, some bad. Being his first start I'm sure there were some nerves, nice to see him out playing though. In the end I just think with the squad City put out there compared to the one Villa did it didn't leave Villa much room for error.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Other question in general though, why didn't any of the villa mids or defenders try to get stuck in with their tackles? They never made a conscience effort to win balls. They just tried to do it positionally. Is this just how Houllier deploys his players?

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 seems a little high. He was ignored a number of times which was frustrating, but that's going to happen to new players.

Some good, some bad. Some his fault, some not.

12. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa look pretty poor overall. I thought Bradley was OK. Nothing overly bad but nothing overly great either. Not a performance that screams put me in the 11 for the next game but still very early in his EPL career.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    If a 4 is horrible, 5 is bad, 6 is average, 7 is good, and 8 is out standing...I think 6 is what he was. Average.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, Held, Dunn and Bannan certainly got stuck in.

Bradley, going off the second half, mostly jogged around.

One second, he is on Silva. The next Silva makes a run and Bradley is marking no one. The third second, the ball is in the net. The fourth, Bradley is jogging off the field.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    For both his German club and the USMNT Bradley was very active. So this is new.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Under Frontzeck, 'Gladbach was very passive defensively.

They are not under Favre.

17. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    So the BS consensus seems to be that Bradley was "OK".

This, of course, means that he sucked donkey balls.

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Anybody still watching the game?

A bit of a laugher at this point with Man City dominant. Vieira got four touches without even breaking into a jog. Bannan with another giveaway.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah he should have been closer to Silva on the 3rd goal.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in that case 6.

I wouldn't blame that goal solely on Bradley. Positionally he was covering a gap in the defense when the cross was released. In retrospect he should have either been either man marking Silva the entire time or been more aware and active when Silva drifting away from him.

Regardless, why 2 Villa defenders followed a cross all the way into their own 18 and then managed to meakly head it directly to Silva baffles me.

21. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed he looked gassed before he came off.

Not saying he did well on the play by any means - but every player has to make a decision on when to leave his man and push back upfield. A normal clearance from the defender and this isn't a discussion topic. If that defender had been a Yank Abroad, we'd be eviscerating him for that poor clearance.

22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Friedel's been more involved lately, just made another good save.

23. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying and failing is better then keeping possession??

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Game becoming really half-assed.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It was a horrible clearance but City was playing with 3 pure attackers - how difficult is it to find one to mark?