Dear Next Week's Ref: You're welcome

Discussion in 'Referee' started by JeffG, May 22, 2018.

1. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my point - they get 3 tries, all three are untimed (USSF) - if you don't make 100 go try again. We have had multiple referees fail 3+ times

Open book

Untimed

Recertification class...:(

2. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s really sad.

But the people got what they asked for. Online tests and not having to go to a live class.

No sympathy from me.

3. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    No doubt. The last couple of recert classes I had in Alabama were really educational. I'm looking forward to the next one.

dadman repped this.
  4. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    That would be cool. We need more geeks.

When I challenge the kids, I don't tell them I got 100......

5. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    So someone fails twice, and then just barely passes. And he/she goes out on the pitch. I'll seldom defend a coaches complaint, but there can certainly be times when they have a point.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  6. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and passing is 80%

7. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    To some, it won’t matter. I got a 96 last July. I told a spectator that as I was heading to the referee building, and she said “So you’re not going to get everything right?” I told her the words on the page don’t move as fast as the players move on the field.

Doug the Ref, dadman and Kit repped this.
  8. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here's the thing (at least when I last was active), there's bad questions on those exams. Ones where the "correct" answer is at best misleading, if not actively wrong. On top of that, there is no feedback as to the correct answer or the reasoning.

These are not tests meant to teach. They are tests which are meant to determine if you're functionally literate. Missing a couple of questions on them are as likely to be poorly written questions as a lack of knowledge and retaking a test is a poor substitute of a classroom discussion covering the questions missed.

9. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    That's three times the number of times the coach has even tried to take a rules test.

dadman repped this.
  10. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would anyone do that? Why would anyone who's already passed the test, take it again? :confused:

I realize as refs we are gluttons for punishment, but there has to be a limit to that gluttony.

Kit and me116 repped this.
  11. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize this is prevalent, personally I want to know what I missed and learn from that and prefer having 100's in my record. If you go back and have missed one or two and realize your error, well and good. Most are not doing this and we have way too many scoring in the low 80's not to mention those that outright fail 3+ times.

Not knowing what to do per the LOTG 20% of the time is not good. The GA grade 8 recert test isn't that hard nor tricky and is largely taken from straight from the LOTG.

Don't ask about the new grade 6 one that is almost all opinion and no LOTG stuff, that one needs some work IMO.

12. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I do. If I get a passing grade on the online certification tests, I don't take it again. However, I do look up the answers that I got wrong.

meyers and dadman repped this.
  13. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I always take our online HS test twice. First time through its to see what I really know or don’t know. No book. No looking things up online. That tells me what I really know. I take it a second time carefully with the objective to get every question correct. That I keep the book handy for.

14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I hate that on our GA HS test you can't see what you got wrong on this year's test, only previous years (unless I'm missing something).

The one I always get wrong is the one about appeals, maybe with video. I think the "correct" answer is yes, such appeals are "correct procedure" – but I thought our rules don't allow appeals so I always get it wrong. Am I nuts?

Rufusabc repped this.
  15. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    For AR, the HS test (administered by NFHS) doesn't tell you what questions you get wrong. Instead it adds a note saying you should review rules 5.1.3 and 12.1.1 or whatever is appropriate. Supposedly you can go back at a later date and find out exactly what questions you missed, but that date is well into the season when most referees are focused on games and not test questions.

16. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    :unsure:

voiceoflg, kayakhorn, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  17. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do now allow appeals with video so as it's an ever moving target no telling what they score as the right answer, I did find one that was wrong - as in they said answer a was correct when it was answer b (or similar) and admitted it but didn't change my score :(

Well...:whistling:

;)

dadman, roby and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    OK... that oughta get me up to a 98 next year.

Rufusabc repped this.