DeAndre Yedlin: This could be a golden generation for the US

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Mar 20, 2019.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Interesting quotes from Yedlin...

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/us-soccer/deandre-yedlin-golden-generation-usmnt/

"I always say that this group of players and a couple of the younger guys, this could be a golden generation for the U.S, I think.”

“I think a big part of that is players taking that step early and getting over to Europe,” Yedlin said. “I don’t like to talk badly on MLS and I’m not talking badly on MLS, I think just making that step and getting out of your comfort zone, it gives you … once you do step out of your comfort zone and then you do find some success, it brings even that much more confidence to you.

“I think that’s what [Adams has] experienced, that’s what Weston has experienced, obviously Christian. You see these guys, they’re playing with so much confidence, which, I don’t think we’ve seen so much with younger players.”

Yedlin said he expects people watching the USMNT to be “wowed” by the growth it’ll show over the next year.

“I think, with the system that Gregg has set up and just kind of, you know, his goals for us over the next year,” he said. “I think people are going to be pretty wowed just by the growth of this team. I think this team has the capabilities to learn so much and take in so much and just take it that much further.”

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define "golden generation": Semi-final of a WC in the next 8 years?

I will get excited when we start winning on the road consistently during qualification. Otherwise, yes, we have some young players with potential which may or may not carry forward towards results.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I agree. I think we have enough young prospects, that even if a lot dont pan out as expected, which is to be expected, we will be a good team that can give top teams a good game. I also dont think this is a golden generation but a new normal at worst and likely still improving. The of prospects is growing each two year cycle and that generate more competition.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Yedlin including himself as part of that generation or not?
    He's only 25 and one of our only Premier League starters, but the fanbase is pretty eager to ditch him for half a dozen younger shinier RBs like Dest...

LouisianaViking07/09 and btlove repped this.
  5. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I think Yedlin's perspective may be a little skewed because he was one of the few decent players in the age group that was in their prime during the last WC. He was part of an unusually bad cohort, so even if the next cohort turns out to just be the new normal, they would look fantastic to him.

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree. A very tangible and attainable goal for growth for the USMNT is to start winning those away CONCACAF matches against teams we should be better than on a neutral field.

7. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    That's entirely possible, given the record so far of our young players plus the fact that we're hosting.

Take a look at Croatia's World Cup final starting lineup. I only see one player (Rakitic) who was playing at a level comparable to Pulisic, McKennie, or Adams at age 20. Most of their starters - including Modric - were still in the domestic league at that age. Perisic was playing in Belgium.
    Being a strong Bundesliga player as a teenager is more than just "potential." And having several players who fit that description is a golden generation by almost any country's standards.

If the current level of youth talent is in fact the "new normal," as other posts have suggested in this thread, then the US can expect to be a perennial world power.

I certainly wouldn't assume that'll be the case - we might end up being like the Czechs, who had Nedved, Koller, Poborsky, and Smicer all born within about a year of each other, but haven't done much since those players retired. At the same time,even if McKennie, Pulisic, Adams, Weah, and Sargent all suffered career-ending injuries tomorrow, the current youth class might still be the best one we've ever had. So the current success is probably more than just a random blip.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Golden generation is actually the 2026 cycle.

And even that relies on forecasting potential.

9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, so-called "golden generations" are more prone to Fredua-like failure than any form of success. I'm tired and leery of this phrase of would-be praise. The current crop that will play tonight, along with those who will contribute in the near term, are simply a serious step up in quality from any group the US has put on the pitch since WC02. I look forward to watching them, but they are not "golden." What a horrible burden to bear.

striker and QuakeAttack repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't really define it based on a single World Cup. It must be defined by the totality of the talent in the pool. We could draw Argentina in the Round of 16 and get knocked-out, but it could still be our golden generation.

11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It's good to know Yedlin has some comedic chops to fall back on when he loses a step.

Master O and striker repped this.
  12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that it's a combination of talent and results. A group of players who are successful at the club level, but don't produce at the national level is not "golden" in my book.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree, but it can't solely be based on a single world cup performance because of the randomness of the tournament. We could win our group but then get Argentina or Brazil or something in R16...wouldn't make the generation any less golden.

Winoman and QuakeAttack repped this.
  14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. In that respect, would you say the 2002 Team was a golden generation. They lost to Germany who went on to the finals. I would suggest that they were a golden generation with many of them playing overseas:

Frankie Heyduk - Bayern Leverkusen
    John O'Brien - Ajax
    Eddie Lewis - Fulham
    Joe Max Moore - Everton
    Steve Cherundolo - Hannover
    Tony Sanneh - FC Nurnberg
    Claudio Reyna - Sunderland

That doesn't even include some of the older players like Freidel and Stewart.

Winoman and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure I think everyone agrees that was our best squad.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Sadly, the 2002 team was a flash in the pan that overachieved in one tournament, not a real Golden Generation.

IMO, the 2013-14 teams were the closest thing that the U.S. had to a Golden Generation. The greatest U.S. player of all time, two lung-busting box-to-box midfielders, excellent (by US standards) fullbacks, a goalkeeper at the peak of his powers, and the best U.S. goalscorer of all time. Of the vital players, only Howard was older than 32. It was the best of the Bob Bradley era teams combined with the best of the influx of new players following the FIFA rule change on dual nationals. Compared to other U.S. teams, the relative weakness would be center backs, IMO.

olephill2 and Geneva repped this.
  17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    My personal opinion is the 2009-10 team was probably the best one we ever had.

olephill2 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  18. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion is that the 1995 Copa America team was our best, but it's very close.

MPNumber9, Winoman and QuakeAttack repped this.
  19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Certainly not a bad answer; I feel the '95 team was probably more solid top to bottom, but lacked the high-end dynamism that the '09-'10 side had.

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I could get behind this. A good 1994 WC followed by a coaching change which relaxed the team and allowed the team to play more freely. Unfortunately, three years later it went the wrong direction after the team started to age out.

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Amazing how history ended up repeating itself...

olephill2, Winoman and QuakeAttack repped this.
  22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The previous Golden Generation was Donovan, DMB, Convey, Dempsey and Gooch. Born within a year of each other.

I think Pulisic, McKennie and Adams, with a couple others, could be better. A lot of things need to go right, including avoiding injuries. But they could take the team further than the previous GG.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Golden generations are usually defined by talent of players within a couple years of each before they have reached their prime when they are expected to win. I dont think our 2002 team qualifies. I think that team was easily our best as it had a great mix of youth, early to mid 20 yo guys with experience, guys in their prime, and veterans. It had good depth at every position, with excpetion of the three 32-34 (oh Arena). The group of players in this team that would have been considered a golden generation were...

20 FW Brian McBride 19 June 1972 (aged 29) 58 Columbus Crew
    10 MF Claudio Reyna (c) 20 July 1973 (aged 28) 86 Sunderland
    3 DF Gregg Berhalter 1 August 1973 (aged 28) 25 Crystal Palace
    23 DF Eddie Pope 24 December 1973 (aged 28) 48 D.C. United
    7 MF Eddie Lewis 17 May 1974 (aged 28) 38 Fulham
    2 MF Frankie Hejduk 5 August 1974 (aged 27) 38 Bayer Leverkusen

This is a nice group, but not sure it cuts it. Is it really any better than the generations from 1998 and 1994? I consider them all pretty close.

8 MF Earnie Stewart 28 March 1969 (aged 29) 47 NAC Breda
    11 FW Eric Wynalda 9 June 1969 (aged 29) 100 San Jose Clash
    18 GK Kasey Keller 29 November 1969 (aged 28) 33 Leicester City
    22 DF Alexi Lalas 1 June 1970 (aged 28) 98 MetroStars
    13 MF Cobi Jones 16 June 1970 (aged 27) 107 LA Galaxy
    15 MF Chad Deering 2 September 1970 (aged 27) 10 VfL Wolfsburg
    4 DF Mike Burns 14 September 1970 (aged 27) 73 New England Revolution
    9 FW Joe-Max Moore 23 February 1971 (aged 27) 68 New England Revolution

14 FW Frank Klopas 1 September 1966 (aged 27) N/A US Soccer Federation
    9 MF Tab Ramos 21 September 1966 (aged 27) N/A Real Betis
    6 MF John Harkes 8 March 1967 (aged 27) 45 Derby County
    17 DF Marcelo Balboa 8 August 1967 (aged 26) 88 US Soccer Federation
    1 GK Tony Meola (c) 21 February 1969 (aged 25) N/A US Soccer Federation
    12 GK Juergen Sommer 27 February 1969 (aged 25) N/A Luton Town
    8 MF Earnie Stewart 28 March 1969 (aged 25) 16 Willem II
    11 FW Eric Wynalda 9 June 1969 (aged 25) 52 1. FC Saarbrücken

Ironically, the Portuguese team that took us for granted in 2002 and ended up not getting out of the group had a golden generation. They may not have ever won anything, but they went to the semi finals of the 2000 Euro Cup, the finals of the 2004 Euro Cup, and the Semifinals of the 2006 WC.

6 MF Paulo Sousa 30 August 1970 (aged 31) 50 Espanyol
    8 FW João Vieira Pinto 19 August 1971 (aged 30) 77 Sporting CP
    2 DF Jorge Costa 14 October 1971 (aged 30) 46 Porto
    19 MF Capucho 21 February 1972 (aged 30) 29 Porto
    10 MF Rui Costa 29 March 1972 (aged 30) 67 Milan
    7 MF Luís Figo 4 November 1972 (aged 29) 81 Real Madrid
    3 DF Abel Xavier 30 November 1972 (aged 29) 18 Liverpool
    23 DF Rui Jorge 27 March 1973 (aged 29) 20 Sporting CP
    9 FW Pauleta 28 April 1973 (aged 29) 33 Bordeaux

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe he'll be right but a golden generation needs results, not just a club resume. The previous gen that's largely seen as a failure had plenty of players that left their "comfort zones" and played in Europe. Plus is "comfort" always a bad thing? I imagine CP initially having his dad with him and involved in the organization helped him get where he is today.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This is the closest I think we have to having one, but still dont think this group qualifies. I dont think it is that much different than the ones posted above.

Based just on who is on current rosters, we have the most talented player we have every produced an two central midfielders who are ahead of our best all time midfielders at their current age, and two forwards who are doing things our past forwards were doing at 19. There is a very good chance that a couple of the rest of the guys that will be at at least of the level of players that were considered top US talent in the past. I picked a two year period that started with Mckennie's brithday and added another 10ish days so Mendez could fit in...

MF Weston McKennie August 28, 1998 (age 20) 7 1 Schalke 04
    MF Christian Pulisic September 18, 1998 (age 20) 23 9 Borussia Dortmund
    MF Tyler Adams February 14, 1999 (age 20) 9 1 RB Leipzig
    FW Josh Sargent February 20, 2000 (age 19) Werder Bremen
    FW Tim Weah February 22, 2000 (age 19) Celtic

U23s
    MF Djordje Mihailovic November 10, 1998 (age 20) Chicago Fire
    DF Marco Farfan November 12, 1998 (age 20) Portland Timbers
    DF Jack Maher October 28, 1999 (age 19) Indiana Hoosiers

U20s
    FW Justin Rennicks March 20, 1999 (age 20) New England Revolution
    FW Jonathan Amon April 30, 1999 (age 19) Nordsjælland
    DF Matthew Real July 10, 1999 (age 19) Philadelphia Union
    MF Juan Pablo Torres July 26, 1999 (age 19) New York City FC
    GK Trey Muse July 26, 1999 (age 19) Seattle Sounders FC
    MF Christian Cappis August 13, 1999 (age 19) Hobro
    FW Ayo Akinola January 20, 2000 (age 19) Toronto FC
    MF Chris Durkin February 8, 2000 (age 19) D.C. United
    DF Jaylin Lindsey March 27, 2000 (age 18) Sporting Kansas City
    DF Chris Gloster March 28, 2000 (age 18) Hannover 96
    DF Aboubacar Keita April 6, 2000 (age 18) Richmond Kickers
    MF Andrew Carleton June 22, 2000 (age 18) Atlanta United
    DF Chris Richards July 28, 2000 (age 18) Bayern Munich
    FW Sebastian Soto July 28, 2000 (age 18) Hannover 96
    GK C.J. dos Santos August 24, 2000 (age 18) Benfica
    MF Alex Mendez September 6, 2000 (age 18) SC Freiburg

Some impressive guys too young for the window picked...
    MF Frankie Amaya September 26, 2000 (age 18) FC Cincinnati
    DF Sergino Dest November 3, 2000 (age 18) Ajax
    FW Ulysses Llanez April 2, 2001 (age 17) Unattached
    FW Konrad de la Fuente July 16, 2001 (age 17) Barcelona

U23s that are too old for the window picked
    GK Jonathan Klinsmann April 8, 1997 (age 21) Hertha BSC
    GK JT Marcinkowski May 9, 1997 (age 21) San Jose Earthquakes
    FW Jonathan Lewis June 4, 1997 (age 21) New York City
    MF Eryk Williamson June 11, 1997 (age 21) Portland Timbers
    MF Cameron Lindley July 18, 1997 (age 21) Orlando City SC
    MF Keaton Parks August 6, 1997 (age 21) New York City FC
    DF Antonee Robinson August 8, 1997 (age 21) Wigan Athletic
    FW Emmanuel Sabbi December 24, 1997 (age 21) Hobro IK
    DF Cameron Carter-Vickers December 31, 1997 (age 21) Swansea City
    FW Joshua Pérez January 21, 1998 (age 21) Los Angeles FC
    DF Lucas Pos February 16, 1998 (age 21) FC Lausanne-Sport
    DF Matthew Olosunde March 7, 1998 (age 21) Manchester United
    DF Donovan Pines March 7, 1998 (age 21) D.C. United
    FW Haji Wright March 27, 1998 (age 20) Schalke

coldfusion and Eighteen Alpha repped this.