News: DCUnited Off-Season thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Sep 16, 2017.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which is why i said it. :D

fatbastard repped this.
  2. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, consider who Seattle has ahead of him at outside back. Not surprising he didn't make much of a dent in their starting lineup.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Somebody at the JFF forgot to pay the GODaddy bill.

Thx,

Jay!

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Does he have both legs?

Dizi repped this.
  5. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $50k in GAM is the price per Goff.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Birnbaum, Asad and Stieber start for practically any other MLS team. Canouse starts for many. Most teams don't invest big in fullbacks, so Kemp and De Leon could start in many places. And while Mullins worries many posters, the bottom line is that he scored 13 goals in 34 games which would make him a starter on some teams.

I haven't seen Moreno, but several teams have scouted similar caliber players into starting roles ... Columbus just dropped big money on a Venezuelan 21 year old with no caps. Vancouver brought in a 23 year old Venezuelan with one cap as their projected starting striker. NYCFC signed a 20 year old Venezuelan with 5 caps who walked right into the starting lineup. RSL brought in a 21 year old Venezuelan with 1 cap from the same team Moreno came from and he walked right into their starting lineup. Young Venezuelan players are very much in fashion and many MLS teams are looking there for starters. Same can be said for young Costa Ricans. There's no shortage of Saprissa alums who walked directly into MLS starting lineups ... Christian Guzman, Francisco Calvo or Kendall Waston just to name a few.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's tough if Odoi Atsem doesn't make the team, but it's just a sign that it's getting harder and harder to earn a spot on an MLS team. It's hard to argue that someone like Fisher isn't more immediately useful to us. He has some MLS experience and even has some international caps for Jamaica.

Also I wouldn't close the door on Odoi Atsem yet. Remember that De Leon is a bit of a utility player and Ben does play him on the left or in midfield from time to time, so an extra right back on the roster isn't out of the question.

Winoman repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff's latest report from camp says Odoi-Atsem is the most likely to be the first of the trialists to be offered a contract right now.

Winoman, sitruc, benni... and 3 others repped this.
  9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good to hear. I think he's fine on either side, btw, not worried about that. I liked him last season and I think he played a few minutes on the left.

Winoman, Boloni86 and jason1551 repped this.
  10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can have whatever role you want.
    You're choosing pessimism.

DCUfan101 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, it wasn't clear whether Goff was giving HIS opinion or whether he was reporting his interpretation of what management was saying or whether they ate outright saying odoi-atsem is the frontrunner.

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No realist.

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask around. People here know how your posts sound. Why not just accept it?

DCUfan101 repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I might be off by a couple, but I think every team in the league has a black jersey this year.

DCUSA and benni... repped this.
  15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A realist can be pessimistic.

fatbastard repped this.
  17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Or if he even knew.

Heist repped this.
  18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #1818 Q*bert Jones III, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    I think United has all the tools necessary to be a playoff team, or better, this year except for one: the schedule. But that one thing is going to ******** everything else up good and hard.

DC will absolutely be in last place on July 13th. You can take that to the bank. When you're losing every week, confidence fails, injuries occur, team chemistry reacts, bad shit happens.

There isn't a coach in the league I'd rather have than Ben Olsen to try and navigate the shoals of effectively being on the road for 14 straight league games. For all of his failings, which are not insubstantial, Olsen has been able to keep the locker room behind him through thin and thin for years.

My preseason prediction is that Olsen will be fired after barely failing to make the playoffs at the end of this season. I also predict that whoever takes over the team will be the 2019 COTY because they will have a talented team that doesn't have to play their first 14 league games away from home.

Let's not ever forget that the owners **chose** this. They consciously decided that they would rather have the team fail than pay EventsDC for the use of their home stadium. They think that running a sports team is a business, which is a phenomenally stupid notion. The fans, the coaches, and the players are going to pay the price for that shortsighted ignorance.

Funkfoot, Rick77, majspike and 10 others repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This needs to be bumped at least once a week through the rest of the year.

Freestyle2000, Winoman and dcchelseafc repped this.
  20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't know what those words mean then. You might want to look them up.

21. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    but you didn't have the internet back then

22. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imitation... flattery... yada yada...

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    So it turns out that Andrade just recently had surgery on his knee and will be out for a while. This news broke about a week by the head coach, so that may explain why the rumors to a player at Deportivo Cali dried up.

However, there's news about a Costa Rican LB headed to MLS after his team finishes the CCL:

https://www.teletica.com/185498_sap...s?hootPostID=801749c0b0b1e29d70143b0e24ab2cbf

Three guesses who he's repped by...

Requisite google search info for Joseph Mora, 25:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joseph-mora/profil/spieler/131255

Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Our scout is also an agent?

(That's almost as bad as Shep Messing gushing over players as PBP for the Red Bulls in the afternoon and then repping them as an agent that night.)

I guess I missed the announcement that Morsink had left the team.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happened quite a while ago. Probably saw how easy and better-paid that job was over being an MLS scout while he was working for us :)

Another ex-player of ours is listed a lot as an agent for MLS signings: Lyle Yorks.

I remember when Yorks was just a deck chair for DC United and used to be a bi-weekly guest coach for my ex-GF's daughter's U-13 team in Loudoun. Pretty sure that girl has graduated from VCU by now, even if she did post-graduate stuff, this was a long time ago :) Nice guy.

Winoman repped this.