News: DCUnited Off-Season thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    It will be interesting to see what numbers you guys come up with. Goff indicates says we have room for one more high priced talent and it will be a DP striker. Most will agree that's an important piece.

I'm hoping there is room for a couple more 250K-325K players who can provide some real polish to our team. That would be either a center back who can win the ball to a teammate or a fullback who can invert and support the midfield when we inevitably get out numbered in the middle of the field.

I can also see the team holding back some flexibility for a summertime addition.

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff already said Canouse's salary is going up significantly.

I would assume that Clark will be the starting goalie and Hamid is gone for 2018 for any roster construction you'd like to make.

Goff has also said Lucho is a guaranteed DP next year, along with Arriola. I think his salary will be too high to be bought down like they were able to do this year.

GumbyG repped this.
  3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the US player pool, now that players aren't worried about little things like the World Cup... On the centerback point, Tim Ream checks that box. Cameron would be a coup for his versatility, but would definitely require a full DP contract. Eric Lichaj would have an immediate impact, but is, like Ream, most likely in the pay-downable DP zone.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that just a change in Lucho's status from young to full, or did his salary change?

5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Of your “discard” list, Rolfe obviously is gone. Sarvas either will be gone or renegotiated at a much lower salary. Nyarko probably will retire due to concussions. I would keep Sam unless you find a veteran midfielder who can play the late game sub/spot start role better than him. Jeffrey is a “meh” — he’s a sub now, can you find something better for the same price?

I would keep Clark — Hamid is gone. Anyone who believes otherwise also thought the Nationals would win a playoff series.

I also think Vincent is done given his knee problems. Unlike Korb, you don’t come back from bone on bone in the knee. His body just wore out.

Winoman, GumbyG and Eastern Bear repped this.
  6. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope in your scenario we could get Sam at lower salary next year. I think he was a good bench option/spot starter this year, but not starter quality.

7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine it has something to do with a salary change and whatever transfer fee was paid to secure his services. I know he's at a $500k salary now ($635k guaranteed), which is in the range you can pay down, but if he's definitely a DP next year, then it's be beyond the amount you can pay down.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotta feel for Hamid

He probably would have had a shot for next year's tournament as a no.2 or no.3

Hope this doesn't deter him from going abroad.

9. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably makes it easier if anything.

Leaving comes with uncertainty and if he winds up not starting every game that could affect his chances of making the WC squad. Now if he leaves and gets off to a slow start/gets hurt/whatever there is no pressure to try and make the WC squad.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  10. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems unlikely. If anything, he's now free to risk sitting behind an aging world-beater somewhere in 2018 for a big payday and the promise of becoming the #1 on a storied team.

11. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his article about this at the time, Goff said:

In addition, United reworked Acosta’s contract. Terms of the multiyear pact were not disclosed. United will use targeted allocation money to offset his 2017 salary, meaning he will not be classified as a designated player until 2018. TAM funds are available for players earning more than the maximum salary cap hit ($457,500 in 2016) and less than $1 million.

But if his reported salary is $500K base, $602K guaranteed, that's DP territory and must be pre-offset. Which leads me to suspect that his salary isn't going to change between 2017 and 2018, and what Goff meant by this was that what DC would do about his salary and DP status in 2018 was not decided, but if they did nothing, he'd be a DP.

At least that's my hopeful take. :D

Boloni86 repped this.
  12. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    You could walk away from literally anyone on this team right now or even everyone and it’d be fine. No one is irreplaceable and it’s possible that starting entirely fresh would simply be better, given expansion draft team success relative to ours.

What I am saying is we should literally let everyone go that we conceivable can.

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think the salary cap is indexed, so expect it to be closer to 4 million next year.

There's also word that they're injecting a league wide boost in allocation money for next year. Plus the "you suck" allocation we get for missing playoffs.

I also suspect the DP threshold will go up slightly. Probably to the point where Birnbaum won't require a buy down.

Arriola is the only one that cannot be bought down. He'll be a DP no matter what. The good news is that he only counts $200K towards the cap.

Stieber, Acosta and Hamid (if he signs) would all be over the DP threshold, but low enough that they can be bought down if the team decides it's worth it to use allocation money on that.

And one final variable to consider is that we will have an expansion draft ... (please take Franklin!)

Eastern Bear, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't want him. Arriola would be nice though.

15. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid,Arriola, Canouse, Acosta, Mullins,,
    New MLS rule: You can discard all your cards and ask the dealer for a new hand at any time.

16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Ben, zip up, buddy. Your Franklin's exposed..."

"I know."

17. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he crushes it into fine powder these last two games, I'd also consider leaving Birnbaum exposed. Although TBH, I'm not sure who I'd protect instead.

SB: You left me exposed in the expansion draft.

Benny: Sorry, man. We had to make choices - at your salary, we're pretty sure you're safe.

SB: You only protected 10 players.

Benny: Look at the time! I have to go pull Chad out of the dumpster behind the Chili Bowl...

Boloni86 repped this.
  18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Aside from Hamid who isn’t necessary if our starting field players were better, sure, replaceable and not that great.

19. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Roster purge Pre-Final Call game:
    *These are the 28 players listed on DCU's site.

Forwards
    Mullins, Best forward we have
    Brown, cut--hasn't produced enough imho
    Miranda, MF with upside
    Rolfe, cut--medical retirement

Wings
    Arriola, DP
    Steiber
    Sam/Nyarko, think we'll keep one and release the other

Central Mids
    Acosta, DP
    Harkes, HG that hopefully continues improving next year
    Buescher, cut---worst sophomore slump I can remember. Hope he could earn a roster spot honestly

Defensive Mids
    Canouse
    Durkin
    Sarvas, cut--but afraid they'll keep him as this is a young group
    Jeffery, think he'll earn a roster spot
    Vincent, probably a medical retirement due to his knee

Full/Wingbacks
    Odom-Atsem
    Korb
    Kemp
    NDL, utility man stays
    Franklin, cut or part ways
    ***need better performances from this group either by coaching or by new players

Centerbacks
    Robinson
    Opare
    Birnbaum, worried about recent amount of concussions

Goalkeepers
    Hamid, probably off to Europe, would love to keep him
    Clark, cut---not sure he's the future after watching these past few performances
    Worra, cut--not too wild either
    Klenofsky, young developmental GK

Team needs, in order:
    1. DP Striker, need a baller that strikes fear in the opponent's back line and can be a centerpiece for this franchise
    2. Starting GK, unless Bill re-signs
    3. Wingback, I have Franklin moving on and possibly one of Korb or Kemp too, that leaves us with NDL, O-A and maybe Robinson.
    4. Attacking mid depth- if Acosta gets injured, don't really have any replacements and would need a formation change.
    5. Striker, a TAM level player preferably to make solid group of 4 striker options
    6. Backup GK

Expected incoming players:
    DP striker
    High 2018 Superdraft Pick
    Homegrown MF Eryk Williamson, U. Of Maryland

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    has there been any news or rumors regarding Hamid's potential move?

21. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Nothing new since Goff leaked DC's rebuttal to Hamid's agent calling out the club for not playing him in front of some euro agent.

Ideally, all focus this week will be on RFK's final match. We should hear things after the player end of year exit interviews or whatever they are called.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That's what social page gossip columnists are paid to do.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The longest road trip in MLS history was Kansas City's 10-game camino in 2011. They played their first home game in early June. There was no World Cup break that year.

We've all been hearing rumors that Audi Field might not open until August. But even if we're charitable and assume those rumors wrong and assume that everything in construction goes without any delay whatsoever, we're still talking about fitting all of the team's home games into a span stretching from late July until mid-October. That's 16 home games in 12 weeks. And that's assuming they play their first 16 games in a row away and their last 16 games in a row at home. Which seems extraordinarily unlikely.

That's a long way of saying next season is going to be dire, especially the first half.

Now Kansas City in 2011 did make a go of it, qualifying for the playoffs in fact. But there's a big difference between a 10-game road trip and a 16-game road trip. (Well, six games if my math is correct. :D)

It's going to take an extraordinary coaching spell to keep these players confidence from falling off a cliff. For all of Ben Olsen's warts as a coach, calmly holding on to the team while they should by all rights be in hysterical panic is a big strength.

fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS teams play 34 games, so your numbers are off by one on each side.

25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That makes it even worse. :D