News: DCUnited Off-Season thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/01/15/sigi-schmid-forward-search-there-are-more-moves-come-us

LA Galaxy coach on looking for a number 9:

Speaking to MLSsoccer.com’s Andrew Wiebe at the 2018 MLS Combine on Saturday, Schmid addressed rumors linking the Galaxy to Columbus Crew SC forward Ola Kamara and the team’s pursuit of a striker.

"There are some more moves to come from us. We haven't filled that forward position. [Ola Kamara] is a talented player who has scored a lot of goals in this league so I don't think we're the only team in this league that's weighing him as an option. We have to weigh our options. It's a situation of what we have to give up to get that asset,” Schmid said. “Teams have been able to make trades where it's been acquiring something for pure money or players going both ways. For us, it's a situation where we don't have as much money because we ended up spending more on Kitchen and Bingham than we wanted to. Not wanted to, but for sure that’s money that we don’t have to spend next year. For us, we just have to look at the right fit. Can’t give you any answers.”

2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eastern Bear, TowsonDad and jason1551 repped this.
  3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It used to be that Garber would just make up a rule to help the Galaxy. I guess there's a new team in town out there now...
    Sad.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah, the Galaxy need the allocation money as much as we do.

--------------------------------------------

In other MLS news, Portland wants Meram,

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/01/15/stejskal-portland-timbers-made-offer-crew-scs-justin-meram

5. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently LAFC are looking to trade too. Our pick is the least attractive of the three so maybe we won’t be able to trade.

benni... repped this.
  6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Olsen was great too once. As a player.

Winoman repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm not sure great fits Olsen,but that depends on your use of superlatives, Wenger was a mediocre player but a great coach, a member of the elites. Olsen was an above average player. about the equal of teammate Bobby Convey, but far from the top. He never rose above merely adequate as a coach and that's a gentile estimation. of his best years.
    In summary both Wenger and Olsen played the game and coached teams. And that's where you should draw the line in comparing the 2

Winoman, Dizi and Heist repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    First scoring 1.75 goals a game isn't going to get you far when you allow 2 per game and that seems more likely.
    Being trapped in an abusive relationship where you only have hope to rely on is one thing, paying to continue one might be construed as something entirely different. A therapist with an office convenient to Audi Field may have a bright future

Winoman and Dizi repped this.
  9. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/usmn...r-liga-mx-interest/1oltymie6fbwz1w425nbdlythc

It would be inexcusable if he signs with MLS and we don't put a claim in. We have a high allocation spot, money to spend, the need for a forward (proven is preferred but that doesn't seem on the table) and he is American so no international spot is needed.

DCUSA, Dizi and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I don't necessarily agree. Rubin looks like another Bruno Miranda, in fact a lesser Miranda given that he has shown nothing since looking good as a U-20. LAFC can take a flier because they are first year and no one in their right minds would consider them MLS Cup material out of the gate. Toronto has Altidore and Giovinco, so Rubin could warm the bench and, maybe, work his way into the rotation. It would be insanity for DCU to dump money and/or players and picks to get an unproven player. Now, making that same move for Ola Kamara would make sense since his pedigree has been established in MLS.

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  12. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post didn't mention trading money/players for him. I just said it would be inexcusable if we didn't put a claim in. Whats the point in having a very high spot if you don't use it? Realistically, we aren't going to spend the coin to sign anyone of real value from the alloc list.I guess we could trade it for some TAM/GAM but Houston sold us #1 last season for $175k so I don't think the value is that high .

It doesn't appear that we are going to find that DP striker, we are short on international spots (can be acquired but still). Worst case, it doesn't pan out and we try the international market again in the summer.

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given what else we've done or seemingly not done, this is not a bad option.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation

We are above Toronto and LAFC. If one of the other teams is FCD or LAG, then they get priority.
    Dallas traded for that spot, so presumably they have someone in mind.
    Here's what they traded for it:

14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a scene from that article about him on babe.net?
    #toosoon?

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Rubin has scored 3 goals in 57 pro games since he left the US. And this is in the Netherlands, a league that favors strikers. Also zero goals in 4 appearances for the US. He's not the answer to anything.

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    But can he hold up play? Can he defend? You know that scoring is low on the list of what is expected of DC United strikers.

Winoman, sitruc, Boloni86 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    They are open to bringing Castillo back from Turkey. Who knows how serious they are about the move...

18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="NicktheGreek, post: 36236949, member: 12848 (SNIP) Olsen was an above average player. about the equal of teammate Bobby Convey, but far from the top. He never rose above merely adequate as a coach and that's a gentile estimation. of his best years.[/QUOTE]
    What's race/religion got to do with it?

Winoman, Dizi and song219 repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    #1219 NicktheGreek, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Watching Suarez rise from the virtually dead at Barca to a trained killer again is proof you are right and maybe a bit too hopeful in our case. Suarez never suffered from a lack of quality (understatement) service he just missed everything fed to him except a second helping of flan.He's making the impossible again and shooting with confidence.
    Do our strikers have the skills to net the sitters and the less than perfect opportunities and do the supporting cast have the ability to serve balls that can be played at the right moments?
    What's race/religion got to do with it?[/QUOTE]
    An autospeller that shoots early:)

Winoman repped this.
  20. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You know those gentiles are no good with numbers. It means that the estimation isn't a good one.

Winoman repped this.
  21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU Front Office - "Hold my beer!!!!"

james

Winoman, Eastern Bear, sitruc and 5 others repped this.
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With "great" I wanted to exagerate a bit, giving him a recognizement about giving it all on the field. A quality that I don't see in him as a (mediocre) coach.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  23. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    DCU looking at Meram is a rumor.....another ********ing midfielder? Is Acosta mad and want out? this makes no sense unless we are losing someone

Winoman repped this.
  24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What does making sense have to do with this? This just gives Benny & Chad the chance to run out the feared 3-7-0

Winoman and dcchelseafc repped this.
  25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Meram is a good player. I wouldn't go out of my way to sign him considering our roster needs, but if he falls in our lap for a good price, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Personally I'm not very enthusiastic about Arriola at attacking right wing in our formation. Just not enough goals in his game. For a team that is so anemic in scoring goals we can't afford to have "box to box" type attackers. The front 4 all need to contribute to the goal scoring. A front 4 of Stieber, Acosta, Meram and Mullins might improve that "goals by committee" strategy.

Of course this would mean Arriola possibly moving to right back? I have no problem with that in theory, but it sure is dumb to blow that much money in this league on a right back or a right wing back. I never fully understood a club like us spending so much money on a player like that. Would have expected them to target someone who can get into double digit goal scoring and/or assists. But I guess that's why they don't pay me the big bucks.

Rick77 and Winoman repped this.