DCU vs West Coast Smurfs

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by roadkit, Jun 1, 2019.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I.e. “I’m always happy when the team bails out my shitty coaching”

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...o_O

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ********. That pissed me off so much.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen's low block and high press just make a mess of the central midfield. How can anyone do their job when they're wearing roller skates into the 18 yard box and then putting up a high press on the rare occasion when our long ball over the top gets to the goal keeper? Being a center mid on this team is the worst job in the world. We just cede the center of the field to the other team game after game.

Olsen's teams have no style, personality, vision, etc. Just like him as a player... Run around like crazy as if your head was just cut off. Maybe something good will happen.

Winoman, UnitedBorn and sitruc repped this.
  5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Back from AF, I was really fearing this game, San Jose has a positive tradition here in DC and they have been really on fire lately. We gifted them basically the whole first half, then most of the second was DCU playing and SJ defending (well). I can't believe how from a deficit situation like the one of the first games (4 consecutive defeats with a 2-14 goal A/P) they turned around their season this well. Wondo may be 36 but he's still lethal, he floats around the defense giving you the impression that he can be easily controlled, then when you really realize where he is, it's too late. No wonder he scored like a machine gun. All in all, not a great game to watch but I think a good point, especially after seeing the first half.
    Regarding us, Acosta - despite the goal - is always whining on the field like a little bitch everytime an opponent moves him around and the referee doesn't call foul, he should just think to keep playing without stopping and whine. Rooney was not very precise too tonight, he looked somewhat tired, Olsen should keep in mind that Rooney is a player like all the others and can be substituted too. But of course he won't.

6. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I looked at the standings, and we've played two to three more games than everyone but MTL (LA has 16), and we've already had, what, two bye weeks?

If I had one wish of Ben, is that it would be to rotate forwards and push the team to spread wide in the attacking third.

TWO. If I had TWO wishes of Ben, it would be to rotate forwards and push the team to spread wide in the attacking third and get the team to play forward faster.

THREE...IF I HAD THREE WISHES of Ben.....

TowsonDad, dadman, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The players they are the ones kicking the ball.

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They are poor because they are stale.

- play the ball into Rooney or Lucho's feet. Then wait for 1-2s or overlapping runs.
    - take the ball down the wing either from Jara or Arriola then cross into Rooney for him to create the chances

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if the coach keeps fielding players who don't execute?

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because he has a 35 man deep roster???????

11. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what would you do if you were coach and your players didn't execute your plan?

Wait, I know: make a statement after the game that a point at home was "pretty impressive" because of, uh, "circumstances."

Winoman repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um it's Dave Kasper' s job to get new players not the coach........................

13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Come on, you know it's a "collaboration" between coach and TD. If you don't there's plenty of people who just want to shit up every thread, every post will tell you so.

And if you don't know the theme, the coach, BEN OLSEN, is the one who is at fault, every day. Every post. Every thread.

Thx,

Jay!

shawn12011 repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the alternative is that you guys keep playing Baghdad Bob year after year.

Perhaps you’ve come to embrace the suck.

James

TowsonDad, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  15. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect weather for the game and great energy in the supporters' section last night.

Thomas Rongen came over to bang the drum and sing for a bit, after halftime.

Good times.

dadman, yabo, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  16. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It certainly says a lot that we play like we play and we haven’t won a game in forever and still are at the top of the East. The East is a dumpster fire.

song219 repped this.
  17. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying the squad Olsen has to work with is a bunch of substandard players who can't play?

That's just delusional.

18. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he has been the one constant over the past 12 years.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And this is said by somebody who until some time ago was defending Olsen left and right, OMG how many disagreements have we had on this...

Winoman repped this.
  20. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had some ham, I could have some ham & eggs, if I had some eggs...

dadman and stangspritzring repped this.
  21. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The team in general wants to perform at a certain level in all regards, so it assigns Kasper and Olsen and guts our media team and guts our TV deal and assigns basically second rate people to almost all positions of importance. The problem with this team is Rooney is a total oddball acquisition out of line with this organizations values. If we get a new coach it will be a mediocre higher or a new Kasper will be bad too. MLS stadiums are great too but they obviously haven’t helped others teams perform. I’ve kind of resigned myself to the fact that the championship attitude we once held as an organization has become the attitude of every middling club- setting hopes on entry to a big entry playoff and a quick exit with a “thanks fans” photoshop image to conclude the season.

shawn12011, Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The team on paper is very good IMO - I just think how much better it could be with a different coach, more propositive about the game.

roadkit, Winoman and pr0ner repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've said it before, but they really need to get Jara on a long term deal.

Real Mobile and Winoman repped this.
  24. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #124 stangspritzring, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    I'd also have accepted "Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no..."

shawn12011, Adler, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I kind of agree with this, the real competitive clubs at least as far as attitude are Atlanta, Seattle, LAFC and probably the Galaxy and unfortunately NYRB, we have to recognize that to them, maybe Toronto too now. Everybody else is living by the season.