Pre-match: DCU vs. South Denver Trash

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by roadkit, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Home teams get lucky bounces and gritty wins.

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #102 Q*bert Jones III, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    That Kellyn Acosta goal was really something. The level of difficulty was a 10 and he nailed the landing. Some silly chilena will undoubtedly win GOTY but damn that was pretty.

Too bad they have Ol' Man Howard in goal. Colorado is paying him a fortune and I'm sure he gets them publicity with the Premiership Cosplay demographic so they must feel they need to play him, even if MacMath is the better goalie at this point. Ben Olsen should take note of that trap.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't buy that reported 18,900 number. We have seen that they inflate the reported number. 16,000 or 17,000 sounds more right.

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Here’s the current Ticketmaster pic for the next game.

A9670EFE-C4A5-46F5-AC01-A9F91E423C2E.jpeg

Love the scalpers with the first four rows of 135. 134/33 have a bunch of blue seats available up high that didn’t make the pic. Even so, there were many more seats empty yesterday than the red resale tickets showing. My guess is the team isn’t selling/making available all the inventory it is sitting on. When I counted Friday, there was about 1000 blue dots available yesterday. One would hope walk-up would have taken care of that. But since walkup is what, $50per? Maybe not.

My estimate is 400 blue available for the Orlando game. Top of 133/134 and the opposite corner have many rows of seats available.

Thx

Jay!

ejs1111 and shawn12011 repped this.
  5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canouse was influential all over the field, both defending and attacking. Steiber never put a foot wrong all match, as far as I could see. He's invaluable. Slot Arriola back in (presumably Moreno would sit), keep Canouse in the lineup, and we become a threatening team.
    (BTW, Mullins had a goal and an assist for Columbus, who beat the NY Heifers.)

Boloni86, fatbastard, asitis and 3 others repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Co-sign to all of this. I actually think that we have the makings of a decent attacking side.

Find a way to tighten up in back, and this is a competitive MLS squad. Not a great team, but better and more entertaining than we've seen in years.

12th Man, dadman, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Even on the TV I find that I'm not switching to other channels like I did before. They are becoming entertaining in a kind of Facundo Erpen/ Clint Peay manner where you peek through your fingers afraid to see what's next. Now it's with a glimmer of hope. Own Goal dug us out of an oh, shit moment into a Hell yes moment and that's pretty cool, almost well scripted.
    From a sit at home watch on almost free TV perspective the only complaint is the incessant whining and excuse making from D&D. Not bad enough to hope whazzer name comes back, but definitely testing my patience.

dadman repped this.
  8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Not me. Old fart got carded getting my Strongbow. I'm going back to that stand every time.

Winoman repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    There were pretty good stretches for United. Moreno intercepting the ball at midfield with a sliding tackle directly to Acosta who then fed Rooney for the goal was very very good.

DCUSA, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Canouse was a big physical presence the others hadn't provided. Stieber had a quiet but very effective game. Not involved in the big scoring plays, but he always back-tracked to cover on defense, cut off passing lanes, got out of tight spaces with turns or passes, etc.

fatbastard, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    How much was the round trip fare? What times do they start from Alexandria? How long is the ride?

12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  13. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strongbow????? Where?

14. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was totally accidental, is why. A Colorado player bundled his own player into Rooney, who took a back-of-the-head blow to the face. Head woulds bleed like a fountain, but there was absolutely no intent, just a play on the ball.

The forearm shiver to the back of Mora's head in the first half, on the other hand… :mad:

15. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    For the three of us it was $100 plus change. Wonderful experience, but not worth it on a regular basis. If it was just me, then it's a wash compared to parking. Bring other family members -- I have 3 that attend on my dime -- then it becomes a luxury.

PSURoss, Winoman, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Sorry, didn't fully answer. The boat leaves Alexandria at 6:35 for an 8:00 PM kickoff. Boat ties up near Nats Park by the Salt Line bar and near Bardo. Boat returns about 20 minutes after the match (more or less). Total travel time is about a half hour each way.

Boloni86, yabo, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    because it was accidental. The Colorado guy's teammate rammed into him and the back of his head smashed into Rooney's face.

Maybe all of the ticketholders were in line to check their purses at those $20 lockers.

Heist repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Bought it at the main bar up in the 100 section on the east side. I've seen it several other places, incl Butterfly (tortilla chips/guacamole stand).

dadman repped this.
  19. 12th Man

12th Man Member

DC United, US National, Benfica
    Mar 22, 2001
    NoVA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of my family couldn't make it. Ended up making four available for resale. All sold.

Winoman and dadman repped this.
  20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Rooney had his man sealed off and a half decent ball would have been a scoring opportunity more times than I could have counted. Obviously this is Colorado, not NYC, Atlanta or one of the well balanced teams at the top of the table, but I can't even recall how many times, Rooney had his guy on his back and was pointing for through ball. When the midfielders get used to his style of play and how he likes his service, he's might score more than Villa. He just needs to hold up to the schedule and travel of MLS.

To quote Han Solo ... "baby, baby hold together" ...

dadman, Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am cautiously optimistic about the attack coming together.

Winoman repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    We weren't lucky. The ref gave so many calls to the Vapids all game long. Especially the PK. We weren't lucky. Their fullbacks really sucky. Worse than Brilliant sucky.

sitruc, GlennAA11, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    We should have had 5, Rooney pretty much owned his man all night. One our midfielders realize how and when he like the ball, he should score like Villa if he can hold up.

And we shouldn't have conceded either. That was awful from Ousted on the equalizer. He wasn't even close to getting to that ball and was easy pickings.

24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Still at the bottom of the table, but I like this version of the team - they score goals. More fun to watch.

With a brand new stadium and only 4 Saturday home games, they couldn't sell out? Not good. And so many of us were saying the stadium was too small.

PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    We can't play Colorado every week.

dadman and Winoman repped this.