DCU vs Phya game thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murrdcu, May 18, 2017.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    somewhere dung beetles and maggots are drooling in anticipation

2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Given today's climate, thinking of DC United as a real estate venture rather than a professional sports enterprise may comfort some folks.

Murrdcu, shawn12011 and kirchhausen repped this.
  3. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Olsen is truly a CEO coach, and Ashton is the problem as you say, then Olsen is the problem. In your own words he is responsible for Ashton.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And I agree with that. I'm saying that Ashton handles tactics, poorly. Olsen as the coach is responsible for that but Ashton is the actual problem.

5. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought it went without saying but for me when I suggested we get a new coach that means Olsen and Ashton and whatever other guys we have running the coaching operation. Maybe even someone on the med or training side too. Why would we keep Ashton after firing Olsen? He shouldn't be allowed 1000 yards of a soccer field

Winoman, Boloni86 and sitruc repped this.
  6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've kept Ashton after every other coach we've fired. Why change now.
    He must work for free and/or have some very interesting videos of upper management.

The only thing worse than the beginning of this year so far for this team - is going to be the first half (at least) of next year. No coach or magic DP is gonna be able to save that mess. I gave up on 2018 when I still thought we'd be good in 2017 :)

7. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    There are two problems here for me. One is the ownership's own documents show large losses for the first 5-7 years and that's under optimal laboratory conditions. It could be slightly less it a lot more. If we're still losing money, I just don't get what changes here. The second is the stadium opens very soon and I just don't see us blowing the team up. Even out decent pieces aren't that good, so we add a few ok player and things won't necessarily click. Rebuilding is a long term process and we haven't even started some months (not years) from the stadium.

If our plan is to hope the owners want to do some good signings for a change to go along with a stadium opening that's not entirely unreasonable, but I'd rather be going into that year with a playoff contending team (not hard to do) than a spoon club and hoping for the best.

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

and don't ever think I have any faith in the FO or Ownership. Ownership has let me down at every turn since 2004.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure that guy either isn't actually from Germany, or is a genuine long-time Munich fan? There's a lot of them.

FWIW, we have a German friend who got liederhosen for both him and his partner to wear for a NYE party; he told my wife they were dirt-cheap on Amazon.

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to your penchant for making nasty personal insults towards other people who have never done you a lick of harm. It seems to be an important part of what you want here. My comment merely meant to say that if that's how you need to treat other people for whatever personal reason, I hope it's worth it.

11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it wasn't one guy, it was literally hundreds of them. The ones I had the displeasure of walking next to outside of RFK on the way out were clearly American due to their speech and started singing some Bayern song in English.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid this is reality, though--in the age of televised UCL, top clubs like Bayern Munich are always going to have a sizable fanbase in MLS cities, and those people are going to come out to see former stars not the local club.

At least they bought tickets.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A new DP for United!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If this is what they do I will shake their hands, say job well done and thank them for their service. For even if they are shitty at running a team they will have at least gotten a stadium built that ensured DC United staying in the area. On the other hand if they keep the team and continue to run it into the ground I'll condemn them as they should be condemned.

15. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This quote from Hamid:

“I’m not sure what’s going on,” goalkeeper Bill Hamid said in a hushed tone. “Their goalkeeper didn’t have to make a save. A lot of guys in this locker room need to take a look in the mirror. Terrible.”

Of all the superman performances and shit attack's he's endured here, I don't ever remember him saying something this critical, and this isn't even that bad. I read they were working on an extension? Hope they can convince him to re-up.

Eastern Bear, fatbastard, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This new stadium impresses me less and less every day. They are rushing it without thinking it through. Parking!! Tailgating!! Stadium Design!! I am disappointed every day.

Winoman, GlennAA11, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'll have to admit I don't really care much about any of that. If it was financially possible in the long-term for DCU, I wouldn't have minded staying at RFK.

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me either

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    As I said elsewhere, he is a great shot stopper but his poor distribution is part of why we can't keep possession.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It has improved. He used to be awful at distribution. Now he is ok.

21. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
  22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so, but I am not going to place any of the blame for an anemic attack on the distribution of a goalkeeper having to come up with a Save of the Week candidate each match, He's making his paycheck. 10 other players could be remotely competent instead.

Winoman, bigredfutbol, Murrdcu and 2 others repped this.
  23. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    The fact that Bill kept the goals against down to only one is a slight merical.

I'm pissed the first shot on goal I saw came in the 82' from Ortiz. The sporadic shots we did take before that were old fashioned Korb Orbs but none actually from Korb.

24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I had a nice lunch with an expat Sunderland Fan yesterday and gifted him a DC United Back to Back Champions T shirt from 96-97. He said how extraordinary, his team was back to back champs in 96-97 too, and then with a wink said 1896 and 1897. They were just relegated this season. This is just the cycle of life in the world of soccer. United truly deserves relegation but at least you won't suffer that disgrace.

shawn12011 repped this.
  25. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That many?? It's a season record for people getting what they paid to see at RFK