DCU vs Phya game thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murrdcu, May 18, 2017.

1. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he's not a popular figure here, but I'd call John Harkes. He's dying for the opportunity (my take). He took a bad Cincinnati team from worst to first (almost) in one season, and played an exciting brand of ball to boot.
    Look at it this way, if he sucks everyone can revel in his ouster.

dadman, fatbastard, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  2. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that will spark my interest is watching the youth. I don't need to watch Boswell or Marcelo play, at all. Nothing personal, I'm sure they are doing their best, but enough already.
    Completely dominated, every week. It's sickening. Yet the players and coaches roll out the same shit every week.
    Olsen is getting desperate, talking about how the missing players will turn it around. No, they won't, stop it. He mentioned the summer transfer window, man is he grasping.
    I guess it's a good sign I can still get angry about it, but it seems my fury reserves are waning and all that's left is apathy. Not that anyone cares one bit.

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Here's a pretty comprehensive list of some MLS assistant coaches, in order of intrigue.

1) Robin Fraser - TFC - He's at a successful club now, and has coached an MLS team before
    2) Steve Ralston - San Jose - He's been assisting Kinnear for 7 years. Time to get a shot?
    3) Chris Armas - Red Bull - He's only been assisting for 2 years, but he seems born to be a head coach
    4) Josh Wolff - Columbus - X DC player
    5) Claudio Lopez - Colorado - Argentina NT legend ... he must have some ideas.
    6) John Spencer - San Jose - another guy that has head coach experience in MLS
    7) Carlos Llamosa - Revs - DCU legend. Just started assistant career. Too soon for head coach?
    8) Davy Arnaud - Houston - X DCU player. But he's a Texas guy. He's probably happy in Houston
    9) Mark Watson - Minnesota - Another X DCU player
    10) Chris Albright - Philly - Yet another X DCU player. His title is technical director/assistant coach

As long as we're dabbling in DCU alums, here's a few more updates

Peter Nowak - currently coaching Lechia Gdansk, 4th place in Polish league
    David Vaudreuil - coaching Tulsa Roughnecks in USL
    Richie Williams - out of work
    Thomas Rongen - head of scouting for USMNT

4. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Cirovski even be interested? He's got a very successful program at Maryland. His job security is about as good as it gets in college coaching.

Going to work for ownership that have yet to show any commitment to acquiring real talent doesn't seem like a risk worth taking.

bigredfutbol, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Bradley would be likely to view the United position as the last stop on his way from a once lofty position to lower than the Titanic's keel. Think Bezos taking a paper route

Boloni86 repped this.
  6. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Got hate? Imagine all those ecstatic Juve fans sitting in their seats at the J basking in their 6th consecutive Serie A championship, the second Coppa Italia championship just this week still warming their hearts and the feeling having those tickets for the Champions League final in Cardiff.

Theopisa repped this.
  7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It seems like the MLS really hasn't changed much over the years. Every team has a few skilled players who understand how to play the game, usually foreign, and then a bunch of "athletic" guys who can run around for 90 minutes. That description seems to fit Chicago as well as us.

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #58 Bootsy Collins, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Meh. I don't care much about what happens in Italy, except generally hoping Lazio loses because I don't like real honest-to-god fascism. I save hate for things having to do with teams I care about. But if you care about a team in Italy other than Juve, I certainly understand *your* hate.

dadman and mosca repped this.
  9. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I completely disagree, Nikolic shot on goal at least 5 times, forcing Hamid to some brilliant saves. Yesterday he was not Terminator, but you can see why he normally is.

Boloni86 repped this.
  10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    What's interesting about Nikolic is that he doesn't look "athletic" at all. Boswell may actually be faster. Nikolic makes up the physical deficit with a surplus of soccer IQ.

11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Finally someone has a list. Most of them I would say no to. 2) and 4) I would take a chance on. As well as Williams. This is however better than the tired old "Fire Olsen" refrain.

Now let me be the one to break this to most of you. Olsen is a CEO coach. Chad Ashton is responsible for tactics. I've been to practice. Watch warmups and when a guy is subbed in. Ashton is the one in the players ear. Olsen may give words of encouragement but he is not the tactical driver of this team. Now Olsen is responsible for Ashton but Ashton is the bigger problem. Not Olsen.

fatbastard repped this.
  12. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Because the only possible list are fifth rate assistant coaches for MLS teams. :thumbsup:

sitruc repped this.
  13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one else would touch this festering, disease ridden, corpse of a team.

Boloni86 repped this.
  14. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    The problem is that any coach is going to know the team is going to be flipped in two years, and the new owners probably would want to bring in their own guy.

15. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Better coaches would think about it if they knew the team was committed to revamping the entire operation, such as hiring a new GM with an actual vision for putting together a roster that plays an exciting style.

Not sure anyone wants to come here when the owners don't give a **** and we have no scouting capacity.

Using Football Manager to scout players would probably be an improvement over whatever the front office currently does.

Eastern Bear, shawn12011 and Boloni86 repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Glad I could help you out of your self pity and stop your whining and sniveling

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: Whatever makes you feel better, chief.

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The management of the club has to go. They may have no resources, but they have no vision either. There is no system for this team besides roll the ball out and ask Hamid to save our bacon. Maybe Acosta will bail us out on the offensive end. With no real vision for how you're going to score goals, how can you possibly scout? You need to know what kind of players you need. Remember, Acosta was a last minute get because his agent contacted DCU. We had not been targeting him for a long time like the club had been hunting down Christian Gomez. This club has no vision as to how it wants to play soccer. Without that, you are a rudderless ship, regardless of resources.

Boloni86, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I get what you are saying (and repeating) but anyone with actual tactics could do better than Ben.

sitruc repped this.
  21. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    So you're highlighting one half of a chicken and egg problem here. What players will want to come to this team in the Summer? No Agent will let their client come to this place, particularly if we're out of playoff contention when we're recruiting. So on the one hand, we can't get good players because we're a small club with no resources. We can't get a good coach for the same reasons. No one is explaining how we can improve, other than "magical season opening team rebuild" which isn't going to happen either.

So, the only answer is you do something. You do anything. It's better than nothing. We've rotated players in year in and year out and we still stink most of the time. The common and unchanged factor for 7 years is coach, so it's worth a shot.

GlennAA11 and sitruc repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Just hope it made you feel better, Buckaroo I was feeling fine

23. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can come out to watch/admire him whatever, but still support the home team (the one that plays within driving/train distance of their house in suburban VA), and not pretend they are from Munich.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Better than Chad

25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to do something odd here. I accept your premise of "do something". I'm not in favor of it but it has merit and substance. So I accept it. All I ask is that of you want to do something have a plan. Don't just act without a plan. No we all know this ownership group only has one plan. Build a new castle, then sell it. No the best plan from a soccer sense but a plan none the less.