Pre-match: DCU vs. ClashQuakes

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Sep 22, 2017.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99% of the time the easy pass for DCU is backward. That doesn't really get us anywhere.

We don't play triangles so the forward passing options are usually the wingers out wide. The striker pretty much stays immobile waiting for the easy pass to the wings and then a cross to center. Most of the time out wingers are closer to the midfield when they receive the pass so there is really no goal scoring opportunity. You need to get past those defensive midfielders and penetrate into the attacking third to free up space. He tries it with varying success but I can't remember a good chance that wasn't created after a penetrating run.

james

2. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52 GumbyG, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Absolutely! I don't object to the dribbling attempts. But yesterday, a big part of SJ's strategy was to target him and Mullins with double and triple teams, and as a result he lost the ball a great deal on those dribbles. I think he can and should do a better job recognizing when this is happening and being more selective. You're drawing three guys. Someone is open. In that case, even a back pass has a greater chance of being fruitful, so use it, if you have to. But on many occasions he had lateral options open, and he just went head down.

Mostly this happened between 18 and 30 yards from goal, and that's where I'd like to see him be more thoughtful.

I'm not saying give up on all the dribbles that look hopeless, just, say, half of them.

Boloni86, dadman, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the Quakes match, Acosta should have every reason to trust his teammates to do something useful with the ball. Until our new players arrived, and for some time after that, Acosta played as if it were all on his shoulders. Now, anytime he is about to be swarmed by defenders seeking to strip him during his signature dribbling exhibitions, he should know that one or more teammates with skill are likely to be available - and in dangerous positions.

Winoman and ElApacheTevez repped this.
  4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the new players at least.

Winoman repped this.