Pre-match: DCU vs. ClashQuakes

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Sep 22, 2017.

1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

sitruc, majspike and Winoman repped this.
  2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Well that was special, not exactly a redemption for a shitty season but nice anyway

3. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A United player following the shot and pouncing on chances! Topped off with the distance goal....mullins was the first actually performing striker I've seen with D.C. in a minute. Pretty refreshing performance from the team.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  4. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Back from RFK, surreal experience. For some reason, it felt like it was tonight the last game of the season

sitruc and NicktheGreek repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Interestingly enough, the whole San Jose FO staff was apparently at RFK to watch the game.

6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the Patrick Mullins DCU paid after last season's performance. Hot damn.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He showed up for one game. Let's see if it can be maintained.

James

NicktheGreek repped this.
  8. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course, but right now let's enjoy that our striker scored 4 goals tonight.

Boloni86 and pr0ner repped this.
  9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright! Warming up for Redbull. Gonna destroy their season and get their coach fired!

Stieber on direct free kicks is a weapon this team hasn't had since DeRo. Hope that plays out.

They should go a middle three of Canouse, Stieber and Acosta, just for me.

Boloni86, bigredfutbol and dadman repped this.
  10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm beginning to see your point of view concerning the midfield.

DCUSA and dadman repped this.
  11. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    If I am not mistaken that was the same Tommy Thompson on SJ who was owned by Ben Olsen in a match a few years back...I recall the two of them going at it all match only to have Olsen knock in a game winner or something big...he was standing over Thompson taunting him.

Or these are weird memories that only I have...

Boloni86, greatscott and dadman repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Just returned last night from a 3 week vacation in Italy. Watched the game at home on TV until about the 85th minute at which point it was 3:00 AM Lucca time and I went to bed. If my taking a 3 week vacation in Italy leads to Patrick Mullins scoring 4 goals in a game, I'll start a crowdfunding site to book a return before next season starts.

Boloni86, song219, DCUSA and 3 others repped this.
  13. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
  15. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, that was Wells Thompson I'm pretty sure. Leftover thug from the Nicol-era Revs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Thompson

Boloni86, fatbastard, D C B 2 3 and 4 others repped this.
  16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left foot, head, right foot, left foot - Mullins used all his options.

sitruc, Winoman and dadman repped this.
  17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Tommy Thompson would have been 14 at the time Ben was still playing, so I'd say those are some weird memories...

D C B 2 3, sitruc, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just pissed I missed it. Had a camp out at my children's school. Bad service right in the middle of West Los Angeles.

Or just Sprint.

Considering the shit I've watched live this season to have the team kick ass when I'm not watching is irritating.

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Having Acosta, Stieber and Arriola all in there at once gives the opposing defense a lot to think about. If we can consistently finish the chances they create, we could actually score a lot of goals. I guess Hamid isn't coming back, so they need to see if Clark can play.

All my wife could say (repeatedly) was "San Jose must really suck!" :D

NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah Those San Jose guys are pretty much on fast track for the MLS defensive chumps of the year. They're lighting candles that Mullins nets 5 or better next match

21. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as I had hoped, when Ben took Acosta out and brought in Sam, he moved Stieber into Acosta's spot, and Zoltan didn't miss a beat. Later, Ben replaced Stieber with Harkes, and things still hummed along. What surprised me, though, is that 35 year-old Marcelo went the distance - again - and was actually pretty good. I'm not sure who is natural replacement is, since he seems to be a hybrid midfielder - not just a destroyer, and certainly not an AM. I could see Canouse filling that role, but then who would replace Canouse - Jeffrey? Vincent? Buscher? And next year Ben will also have Durkin, presumably.

Oh well, it is a nice problem to have. What's most important is that the FO has acquired some young, lively, skilled players who, if they continue to mesh, could make us competitive.

Boloni86, dadman, fatbastard and 4 others repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are in the playoff hunt.

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, the negatives:

Although we kept playing OK when Acosta went out, we did so mostly through the wings. Did anyone else think Stieber had trouble getting on the ball? He was in good spots, mostly, but he wasn't an engine. I thought Harkes coming in late improved things a bit.

I found myself getting frustrated with Acosta this game. Would have liked to see him make the easy pass on about 50% of those dribbles to nowhere.

Mullins was fantastic in the second half, but too predictable in the first, and took a poacher's advantage of a tired SJ backline. Can't ask more than 4 goals, but I will. Tunnel vision when it comes to interactions with Acosta. Spin, knock it back to the trailer, whatever. Just do something different every once in awhile. :)

But that's margin stuff. It's just that those two could be better than what otherwise passes for average in this league, and at the moment, Stieber looks more like a band-aid at the 10 than a real option.

Canouse is turning out to be the catch of the summer, IMO, and Arriola - two pinpoint deliveries on the assists. That's how you do it.

fatbastard repped this.
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur about Acosta. Too often he relies on his dribbling skills to penetrate a defense when a pass was the better option. I think he got that way in the bad old days, when he didn't fully trust his teammates, but now, with the new guys, he should realize that they have fully developed skills sets, and a pass to one of them could lead to something very good.

Boloni86, dadman, jason1551 and 3 others repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The attention that he attracts because of his penetration skills frees up others to receive a pass from him. It is kind of a high-risk strategy but it is also high reward and it is about the only way DCU is going to get the ball in some kind of scoring position other than pumping it from the wings.

Boloni86, dadman, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.