DCU@Van 5/27: the search for goals

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murrdcu, May 24, 2017.

1. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Open letter to Garber:
    Dear Don,
    In your ongoing effort to stretch DCU's anus with the MLS FO's barbed member via intentionally bad officiating, please don't blame this officiating crew-- they got your memo and earned their money. They did their part. Perhaps the Disco can fine Techera for not doing his.
    Blow me,
    [signed] Adler

Murrdcu repped this.
  2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Both penalties were non existent, both symbol of the mediocrity of MLS referees. That said, I'll take the win, but we continue to express this "anti-soccer" made in Olsen. Perhaps we are not the worst team in the league, but sure we are the least appealing to watch

roadrunnerecuador and shawn12011 repped this.
  3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a world class dive by Ortiz. Wow.

4. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Just watched the highlights. Wow. This team can barely win a gift game. And both PKs were horrible calls.

NicktheGreek, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I DVR'ed the game and just finished watching. I have no idea WTF i just watched.

Time for a new slogan:

"DC United - We Get Post-al"
    "St. Hamid Saves Us"

Ortiz gets the Oscar for that PK act.

Acosta gets the Best Supporting Oscar for the that "I got touched on the face now I must fall and act like I was shot in the ass with a Barrett .50 Cal"

Seriously, that malignant dwarf needs his ass beaten. I HATE that sort of pathetic acting shit. Makes me wonder what he would do if someone at a Meet-the-Team event went up and bitch slapped him. Would he fall and grab his face with both hands? Piss his panties? Squeal like a pig? ********ing punk. This shit is why I hated when Davies was on the team.

Oh yeah. 3 points on the road. I'll take it.

6. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rank poor officiating among the top 5 things slowing growth in MLS. We didn't deserve it, but got a win on the road, so that's good.

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  7. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Meanwhile, across the pond today, Chelsea's Victor Moses-- already on a yellow card-- does a swan dive in front of the Arsenal goal and the ref has a big enough scrotum to give him a second yellow and a sending-off in the 68th minute of a tight FA Cup final.
    That wouldn't happen in an MLS Cup final, ever.
    Oh wait, unless a DCU player did the diving and a man-advantage would be handed to one of Garber's "favored" clubs. Sorry, my mistake.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Bill Hamid and the right post share MOTM. There were some actual flurries of completed passes for DC. I'm amazed

9. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

TowsonDad repped this.
  10. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Passing was better than the recent past. Well taken penalty. Defense left it all out there. Hamid is great.
    Still, being bad at soccer and cheating to win doesn't do it for me.

11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Name a season where we had satisfactory officiating? MLS has grown although I don't know how. I look at the level skill and talent as about equal for the players and the refs No so good

12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    A cut from an old WW-2 submarine movie comes to ming

13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    He must have watched a lot of games with JK

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid kept this game from ending 5-1. The post kept it from being 8-1.

Murrdcu, Boloni86, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those wore two of the worst calls I've seen in a long time.

The contact made with Ortiz was not nearly enough to make him go down.

Then I have never seen an AR (Some schlep who wishes he were a Center Ref) call a keeper for contact with an attacker on a cross.

fatbastard, griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Geez - Just please stop the whining about the win - It's not like DC United hasn't gotten screwed at home

Theopisa, fatbastard, GlennAA11 and 2 others repped this.
  17. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about Vancouver getting screwed at all. I don't like getting dominated week to week and cheating always rubs me the wrong way.

Boloni86, ImNumberTen and morrissey repped this.
  18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    DC makes it's COMPLETELY BOGUS penalty, while Vancouver misses its COMPLETELY BOGUS penalty. Spare me the whining, Carl Robinson.

Winoman, DecadeOfDCU26 and NicktheGreek repped this.
  19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wouldn't have heard a word if the pen. results were reversed.

Winoman repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Au Contraire Pierre. There would be no end to the Bitchin, whining and sniveling if United had missed. A team that can't even score from the spot becomes 100% dependent upon the kindness of defenders scoring in their own nets

shawn12011 repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, I agree with this. On the other hand, Vancouver were clearly the better team start to finish.

sitruc repped this.
  22. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's great to get the unexpected 3 points on the road, but the performance does not inspire confidence.

There are many areas that we need to improve. With one of the lowest payrolls in the league, one could argue for upgrades at almost every position other than keeper. However, when I think about what has changed when comparing the team that was scoring goals for fun near the end of last season and this team, I feel that the major weaknesses in this team are on the wings and central midfield with the latter being the greatest deficiency.

The Sam and Nyarko of last year looked dangerous and confident. Nyarko in particular was able to take on defenders 1v1 and frequently win those battles. He created scoring chances himself and forced opponents to cover, creating more space for teammates in the middle of the park.

I'm not sure if Nyarko was playing hurt from the beginning of the season, but even before he went out injured he was not nearly as effective. Sam has also looks like a shadow of his former self. However, the poor wing play does not occur in a bubble. It is in part due to the weak play in the center midfield.

Not to be a dick, but the Jeffrey-Harkes tandem is simply not good enough. It's great that they are getting real game experience and maybe this will pay dividends in the future, but they are not good.

They are neither strong in defense or attack. They are not particularly gritty, they aren't hard or aggressive, they don't play with exceptional soccer IQ (not great with instinctive defensive positioning/anticipation), they don't play with exceptional speed of thought or speed of foot, they aren't particularly good at distributing out of the back, and they don't contribute much on set pieces. Jeffrey occasionally takes a decent long range shot, but that is not enough.

Weak play in the center has forced our wingers into expending a lot of energy defending for long portions of the game (definitely not the strengths of Sam or Nyarko), and it prevents them from being as effective in the attacking 1/3.

For me, Jeffrey and Harkes are the players we need to watch closely. If we don't see dramatic improvement, we need to see upgrades during the transfer window or expect no playoffs.

Boloni86, fatbastard and sitruc repped this.
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's clear Harkes has talent, but it seems like the pace and physicality of an MLS match is a bit too much for him at the moment. And he seems to be losing a bit of confidence when it comes to physical battles each match.

24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm sure Benny's crushed.