Pre-match: DCU @ Seattle Sounders, 6.9, 2200

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Jun 8, 2018.

1. flanier

flanier Member

Sep 1, 2001
    TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could tell for the last 10 minutes that that goal was coming. I don't understand why Olsen is sitting on all 3 subs. WTF is he saving them for?

2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    MLS boxscore has the attendance at 39,465. I've been to Seattle many times there's better stuff to do on a rainy Saturday night.

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 Seattle. Moreno lost his mark, who scored.

4. flanier

flanier Member

Sep 1, 2001
    TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really starting to think the delay in signing Rooney is because Kasper and Olsen know Wayne wouldn't put up with such inept coaching displays as we saw tonight. He'll be demanding a new head coach within 3 weeks.

Theopisa and ejs1111 repped this.
  5. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awful. Guys are tired, and there's a game Wednesday. Makes one sub in the 85th minute. Can't make this up.

Lucho no mucho. He is inconsistent, I'm expecting more from him.

6. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    yeah, acosta had a sort of bad one. Arriola and Brillant, pretty good. Weird game, wide open midfield but neither team could connect much in the final third, Mattocks got his goal but cant do anything else. That was pinball luck, too bad we came out on the losing end.

I think this team is a bit better than people realize, the acquisitions from last year are playing better together now...

bigredfutbol and dadman repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I usually like to hear the bad news right away but at 1-1, I decided to hit the sheets and pull the seemingly inevitable news of a loss off the net. Kudos for the Seattle fans who sat and watched that merciless torture for so long and hats off to the teams for rewarding their dedication. Olsen handed that game to them, once again with his inability to make tactical personnel changes. At least all the disgraces were out of town yesterday.

8. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    First goal was a set piece and sometimes those get down to luck, but we should have had someone on top of the box. Long grows are basically corners and you always have at least one guy there.

Second goal was all about “want to.” I’m sure the match plan had DCU closing down Roldan at every opportunity, but we were too tired to make an effort.

Seattle was about the most unathletic team I’ve seen in MLS for years. We should have killed them. They are gonna have a long season.

ejs1111 and dadman repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is coaching to blame for players twice not marking up. Do you really think Olsen or that idiot Ashton are telling these guys "Don't worry someone will mark that guy you just pay attention to the play." Come on Oslen has his warts but these player are 100% to blame for this loss.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone isn’t doing their job the coach needs to pull them and put in other players or change tactics.

Contrary to our political climate we do not live in a post-accountability world.

James

sitruc, JRHokie, Boloni86 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    We need Wayne Rooney here ASAP so that Shawn has someone new to blame when we lose to one of the worst teams in the league :p

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I am saying is that coaches did not cause our guys to leave their players unmarked. At this point I could replace Ben with the right man. However just blaming him when the players crew up is pointless.

Oh and Shammy as a Man U fan I would never blame Rooney no matter what he does. :p

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Wait until you find out Rooney gets 10 assigned parking spots for his personal training crew at the secret stadium lot

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would at least show he is taking his training seriously.

James

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seattle has been awful so far, but it is a similar situation to recent years, then come la June / July they started winning almost every game and made the playoffs no problem. I don't know if this is the end of a cycle, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again. Maybe it all started with yesterday's win against us.

16. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still can't believe Benny didn't make any subs until we were down. What a joke. With competent coaching we definitely could have gotten a point out of this game.

17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah his staff are all named after cars, perfumes, or meteorological conditions.

18. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention we have a road game on the other side of the continent (from Sea) on Wednesday.

Gonna be some dead legs in the first half.

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #44 Boloni86, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    So what's the point of even having a coach? Not responsible for tactics, not responsible for running practice, not responsible for set piece prep, not responsible to get the players' heads in the game. Shit ... I could do that job. Where do I sign up? I'm pretty sure I could get this group into last place.

Although I admit, I don't pull off tight training pants as well as Ben.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promising start; predictable finish. How many times have we left someone totally uncovered at the edge of the penalty area because United's players have fallen back to the six yard box? And our "attack" was usually uncoordinated. Moreno wasn't heard from; Asad was almost invisible except when kicking a corner; and Acosta was bad as often as he was good. And Miranda is going to win it for us in the last four minutes?

Winoman, Eastern Bear and PSURoss repped this.
  21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I have said at this point I would replace Ben with the right man.

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I wouldn't ever wait for the "right" man. Hell anyone who comes in and cleans out Ashton's office will get my vote.

James

23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Have to say this was at least as disappointing as the Orlando game. I didn’t have us taking anything from an opponent we normally struggle against, but at the point we were up 1 versus an opponent who has been shut out in 8 of the 11 prior games, anything less than 3 was an epic fail. just like @ Orlando.

Winoman repped this.
  24. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wanted to make sure they were well rested for practice.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Moreno started out like a man possessed. He ran out of gas around halftime. Would have been smart to bring in Durkin -- especially since he was recovering from injury.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.