DCU Rock Tour Stop: @ Leafers FC 6/27/15

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murr, Jun 25, 2015.

?

What will happen Saturday Night?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2015.
  1. Ben starts his strongest 11 and brings home 3 points

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Lex Luthor feeds green kryptonite balls to Giovinco & Altidore, thus slaying Benny Ball

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Teams too tired from midweek matches, plays keep away for 90 minutes and split the points

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  4. Feeling left out, Asistant Coach Amos Magee gets tossed from bench for dissent

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Boswell late scratch after trying to order all 20 secret Tim Horton menu items

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villareal alternates between being just fine with physical play and then blowing a bunch of goats...I mean calls.

Goatblower.

Winoman repped this.
  2. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Good gameplan for D.C today, but I don't understand how they, or any other team in the East beats TFC in the playoffs like this, especially over 2 legs.

Stan Collins and JRHokie repped this.
  3. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I was thinking sleep inducing

4. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah! That crazy bike kick almost did it! Looks like their goalie pulled something while freaking out about it.

Winoman repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    O Brasil!

O TFC... you lose another ********ing boring scoreless tie

Also, ******** Canadian ball boys

Winoman repped this.
  6. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there's our point. But yeah, TFC is a tough one to break.

7. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're lucky this time, buddy. :D

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    or we win in stoppage....

Nope tie.

Now run for the exits...

Winoman repped this.
  9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sandbagging always seems to work on the internet. ;)

stangspritzring repped this.
  10. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Very happy with the point!

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  11. dcjeffc

dcjeffc Member

Jun 4, 2015
    ?? All I remember Korb doing this match was a cross to nowhere that led to a Toronto chance because he was so far forward.

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You're probably right … but if there is a formula it would include exactly what we did today. Shut them out … especially on the road.

asitis and Winoman repped this.
  13. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, this reminds me a lot of some of those 1st in East, then flameout in playoffs type of years. At some point, we're going to have to create more than a chance or two per game. We desperately need either a goal-scorer to go with Espy's playmaking or a playmaker to go with Espy's goal-scoring -- I think either could work, but one of them is required.

What's really disappointing is that it feels like we only need one or two offensive pieces to be one of the league's best, but by the time the FO is willing to open its wallet (when the stadium opens?), Rolfe, Arnaud and maybe Espindola will be past their sell-by dates and Hamid will be playing in Europe.

That being said, this wasn't a bad point. TFC outshot us by a massive amount, but Hamid really only had to bail us out a couple of times, and we still almost stole 3 on Arrieta's bike (I wouldn't have minded seeing him 10-15 minutes earlier, as I thought Espy looked out of it by 60'). During this road run, under these conditions? Fine. I just have this nagging feeling that this team isn't capable of much more than this...

JoeSoccerFan, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Attack wise I think we're capable of a little more than tonight … but probably not much more than our season so far in general.

Defensively we haven't been this solid maybe ever … at least not sense Llamosa, Pope, Agoos, Sanneh and Williams … To shut out Bradley, Giovinco and Altidore is not some routine forgettable feat.

If we can maintain this level of defending through the rest of the season we have a decent chance to win something. We're alive in 3 competitions … well positioned for SS … or at minimum winning the East (and the CL spot that comes with it). And of course US Open Cup, the league and winning our CL group. This is a very pragmatic way to approach competing on so many fronts without falling apart.

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    We've got to get someone for Eddie when the summer window opens. Hopefully an out and out striker. Identifying that target will be the hard part.

Are there any USMNT players like Mixx or JJ who have been pining to play in their homeland since birth, uh I mean since their callups?

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right. But remember how absolutely exhausted our guys are compared to theirs. I think we can look better than we did. But, Toronto looks like a strong team.

Also, 62.5% of us were right. Both teams looked dead tired when it counted. The game wasn't overall really slow or really poorly played. Defenders just got the better of attackers at the end. Or DeLeon just missed an open header in the case of DCU. And Arrieta was saved just over the bar.

17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Getting an EJ replacement would be huge … especially the way we play where long balls happen often and set pieces are a big strength already.

But there's a lot of other areas that could be improved … A proper starting LB would be nice because Kemp just ain't that guy. I know this ones's been beaten to death … but a true box to box center mid should be a priority. And another speedy winger wouldn't hurt.

The one area where we seem to have a surplus is in this withdrawn forward/attacking midfielder hybrid types … especially once Farfan gets healthy too. That's why I'm still a little confused by the Coria move … Seemed like there were other bigger priorities to address ...

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old whathisname can't scout for players at multiple positions. Just be glad he got us a couple of clearly competent ones with some upside to be better in Coria and Halsti.
    But yes, we could really use two solid players or one really good one. I think any of those positions would be fine except a true box-to-box midfielder. As you mentioned, we're pretty full on attacking mid/forward types. I think there's the most room for improvement at LB and a large and strong target forward.
    As our schedule gets a bit less congested (at least for the starters since the backups will play the CCL by and large), It'd be better to have a roster that is slightly more top-heavy. We have a very deep roster (in terms of lots of guys who are worthy of being on MLS rosters), but not enough stars. I don't mean that they have to be flashy DPs, but we need more guys on the level of Espindola or Rolfe or Boswell or Kitchen and fewer Farfans, Corias, DeLeons, Pontiuses, Kemps, Korbs etc...

song219, Winoman and JayRockers! repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Mishu

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Halsti can hold this position down really well. Either paired with Kitchen or Arnaud he seems to have the skills to defend but can pick his head up make some forward progress and lay off a well weighted ball. Why he isn't a starter yet is all on Ben. Yes we have some schedule congestion but the constant rotation has to give way to a best 11. The guys getting minutes will be in prime shape for off-the-bench minutes and will be ready to step in without a noticeable decline in cohesion.

James

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I thought this was a very good display. The only tactical error by Olsen was not including Doyle in the 18.:) NDL had a very good game, I wish his header was on frame, but he "snapped" it too far. The entire back line did well against Giovinco and Altidore. Altidore played like the overrated forward he is, he couldn't create and got marked out of the game. Giovinco was defended well and was left with arguing for fouls - a very good match for the DCU defense. I know there is a great deal of Halsti love out there, but I'm not sure he's better than Arnaud at this point -- the guy really is a "heart and soul" type of guy and you need them out on the pitch.

I really wished Arrieta's bicycle had gone in. The Toronto fans' heads would have exploded, sort of like Scalia's yesterday.;)

22. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About what I expected. We are very sound defensively and Hamid comes up big again. Shutting out Giovinco was big after he did so well at RFK last time. Now onto Open Cup!

Winoman repped this.
  23. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know! That totally screwed up my prediction.

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point with Halsti is maybe he brings something a little different.
    We've got a LOT of heart and soul guys... You do need some on the pitch. You also need guys who can turn the central midfield into a little more of an attack-minded part of the game. I see glimpses from Halsti, but it's always with the B-team. Let him play with Rolfe/Espindola/Silva and see what happens. I'm not sure... but I think he'd have a higher ceiling than Arnaud if we really need a win, not just a draw. Not that Arnaud can't do it. He has, but I just see more upside in the middle term with Halsti. Give him a chance, Benny once we get back from the Gold Cup break and have all our guys rested. It doesn't mean Halsti needs to be the lock starter over Arnaud. Just situationally and tactically, we should be able to do different things.

superdave, Winoman and Freestyle2000 repped this.
  25. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore needs service, starve him and he's useless. He had a great goal in his last game, I mean top, top class, on a long ball from Bradley. That never materialized today and that's why United has the record they do. There aren't any quicker players than Giovinco, and not many slower than Boswell, yet they handled him. It's really impressive, I hope we can all appreciate what a gift we have here at the moment. Now to click on the other end and win all the trophies!

song219, griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.