Pre-match: DC vs Toronto - 10/17/18

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Oct 16, 2018.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where: DC AF
    Why: Scheduling peculiarities and such
    When: 7:30 Local Time/4:30 PT (aka my local time)

International break soccer fun with DC.

Not sure if Toronto is going to be without Bradley and Giovinco.

We are probably without Arriola, Segura, Moreno, and tactics.

James

JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/10/15/warshaw-what-i-expected-and-what-surprised-me-week-33

dadman, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    ESPN+ (likely blackout) The former News Channel 8, home(rs) of D&D, first among paid apologists. Hopefully they can save the excuses for some other time.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet anther border-line-or-not must-win game.

Nothing like being away for the first half of the season to make the end of the season extra dramatic - who needs relegation to create artificial excitement, we have "the final playoff spots" :)

I did not realize until this weekend that the Crew/AustinVilla was down on our end of the playoff seeding, I thought they were doing better than that for some reason. But it seems like there is motivation for the players to do more than just barely get in the playoffs, which is nice for the coaching staff.

It'll be weird to take a glance at any standings after this game and not see United with the fewest games played :)

Anyway, since Toronto sucks, I expect this to be another nail-biting game that we don't put away until after the 83rd minute.

DCU: 2
    Toronto: 0

yes, the last 10 minutes will be fun :D

An extra prediction: The referee will make a bad call that gets the stands rocking and he (hopefully) fears for his safety for a bit.
    It's quite possible at least one team ends the game with fewer than 11 players.

#WeWinWednesdays

Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect tomorrow's lineup to be the same as Saturday's, except with Nicky starting at RB. Hopefully, he can go 90'. Segura would be nice to have as a midfield sub, If he doesn't play much or at all tonight he could start at RW, as Stieber played a very quiet match (in part because the Acosta-Rooney duo soaks up most of the passes, and Stieber and Asad are often ignored).

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Asad saw the ball it was Steiber who was frozen out.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I saw your brother Saturday. How many other MLS stadiums are closer to his home than Audi Field?

9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, god, no. He had absolutely no idea what to do on offense and often made the wrong run at the wrong place at the wrong time.

James

10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is "he"?

11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicky. Sorry for the full quote. Meant to just quote the Nicky part.

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Nicky did sky one well over the bar. so at least he remembered that part of his game!

MattR, stangspritzring, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I'll take NDL over Robinson at right back every day and twice on Sundays. Just no contest.

Boloni86, Eastern Bear, sitruc and 4 others repped this.
  14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, Chris Odoi-Atsem won't be part of the conversation until next year, assuming his cancer therapy goes well.

Boloni86, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  15. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    It's hard to argue with those with more expertise than I, but I'll give it a go. I disagree that making the quick and easy pass is the key to effective offense in soccer. Those are necessary, but only to set up the unexpected pass that opens the opportunity to score. Rooney's amazing re-directs are anything but simple and easy - they are the unexpected passes that break down the defense. Acosta's breathtaking dribbling sucks in defenders and leads to the great pass and goal.

The game with Dallas was a defensive chess match which we won while playing short handed. A bit rich that a team that has risen from bottom of the table to a possible playoff berth is now faulted for a less than dominating victory against the west leaders.

Cavan9, JRHokie, Real Mobile and 8 others repped this.
  16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think he's saying that you need to make a few simple ones to get the offense in position to set up the Rooney-to-Acosta killer redirect, you can't go for it straight out of the box. I think there's something to it in that I had seen something missing the last two games that had been present in most of the Rooney-era games before that, and this clicked with me as an explanation for what it was.

I'd be fine with that argument except for the Chicago game. Chicago is not a good team and they also, to my eye, did not play particularly well (it's a classic tell when you sub your center mid out at half time), but we made hard work of them.

17. Numero1latino

Numero1latino New Member

DC United
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    We are headed to this game for our first time at Audi field this season. Does anyone just drive to Anacostia Metro station and park there and just metro one stop to Navy Yard? Have a family of 4 attending but rather not pay $50 in parking.

Winoman repped this.
  18. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I do that.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Numero1latino

Numero1latino New Member

DC United
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Thanks for the info. I saw some other posts asking if that station is safe. Have you ever had any issues there?

20. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    No problems. What surprises me is how underused the station is.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Segura played 23 minutes. Hopefully that means he can come off the bench if we need him. He'd likely replace Ellis or Jeffrey on the bench, so I'll take that, even if we know he's limited to 35 minutes or less. Just would give us a lot of tactical options that neither Ellis nor Jeffrey give us.

I also wonder if DeLeon will start or if he'll come on at halftime for Robinson.

JRHokie repped this.
  23. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if you high press like we often do. You can win the ball and have an attack going immediately.
    What's missing is Arriola at right mid. He was a RB for the Chicago game, and while he was fine there, it hurt our attack to miss him higher up the field. Segura and then Stieber just aren't dangerous in the same way as Arriola. I do think Stieber *can* be dangerous enough though... he just hasn't been playing as well.

griffin1108, EdTheRed and Winoman repped this.
  24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I didn't know whether I should de-construct Dallas or not, but they are a team that is wont in recent years to start out strong and fade late, which they seem to be doing this year. Their record from August is 4-3-3, but this papers over a pretty easy schedule. Their three games against playoff teams were two 0-0 draws and a 2-1 loss, and they've also lost to the Earthquakes twice in this time. Not for nothing, their leading scorer has 8 goals, which means that a defensive chess match might not be the right approach when you need points and when that's the game they want to play.

Sure, as a tactical option. That can't really be your whole game plan, though. Being a team that plays with two holding mids, we ought to be one that can possess the ball and build from possession.

I think there's some truth there, but we still have a pretty talented team attacking wise, and I don't think missing Arriola should explain it.

Somebody mentioned that Steiber was frozen out, and he did look that. I wonder what the dynamics of that situation are. Before Rooney, he was the highest paid player on the team, and I don't think he or the team pictured him being a reserve. I don't know if a distance has developed there, or if it's just they're not in each other's rhythm.

25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is the same distance to Toronto, Columbus and NYC.