Pre-match: DC vs Toronto - 10/17/18

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Oct 16, 2018.

1. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I keep watching that Rooney goal again and again. I doubt MLS keeps the stat but it would be interesting to know how long it's been since someone scored from a free kick that far out, and how it ranks among the longest free kick goals in MLS history. It was hit a ton and had a wicked bend too. Amazing. That will get some play across the pond. With DCU I remember Stoichkov hitting one from about 40 yards in a US Open Cup game at Soccerplex, but that may have been in the run of play.

ImNumberTen and Winoman repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #52 Q*bert Jones III, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Canouse is the 21st Century Clei Kooiman.

Magikfute repped this.
  3. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I make this post mine. The Rooney things against Orlando was the season changer

ImNumberTen and Winoman repped this.
  4. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just gave a look to the standings... we are all there,

NYCFC 53
    Philly 50
    C'bus 48
    DCU 47
    Montreal 43

Anything is possible. C'bus and Montreal have the easiest calendar, the others play each other at least once (NYCFC twice), both DC and Philly play NYCFC. They are really at a major risk.

5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually Philly also plays NYRB, that is pretty tough too.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not saying it's likely to happen but if DCU finished in 3rd place it wouldn't be a total shock. Considering where they were when the stadium opened, that's astonishing.

Dizi and ImNumberTen repped this.
  7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I thought the whole back line defended very well. Timely blocks, interceptions and gobbled up everything in the air.

Durkin was fine, but I can't wait to have Moreno back in there. We were getting too clustered in the center, and resorting to long balls. They need to take a lesson from Bradley who was constantly switching the point of attack, finding wingers isolated 1v1. Our buildup was too dependent on overly elaborate flicks, dummies, give and go passes through traffic. Durkin is playing too much the way he's facing. Sometimes you just have to pick your head up and trust your ability to spray a ball 30-40 yards into space.

From where I was sitting, Acosta was frustrating me more than Asad. Asad recklessly playing out of the back is something I've gotten used to from previous games. He's actually really good at it, and draws a ton of fouls. Acosta on the other hand seemed on the brink of changing the game, but this is the 2nd game in a row where he's just overdoing it with Rooney. Too predictable ... the same dummies, the same low percentage flick passes.

The other attacker that disappointed me the 2nd game in a row was Stieber. Tactically I think he was fine ... always in position to help out defensively. He helped keep the ball moving in possession. But at this stage of the season you also want to see an attacker try to change the game near the box. Whip a cross in, take a shot from distance. Stieber just defers to Acosta too much, and doesn't assume enough responsibility.

Winoman, Dizi and griffin1108 repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I see some broadcasts with measurement graphics superimposed over the actual video but not during any MLS, or at least DCU broadcast I've watched. So distance for records would need to have some universal, quasi calibrated method of measurement. Pretty much up to the eye of the beholder. NTL, a very powerfully and skillfully made shot, perhaps not defended as well as it should have been, but a highlight film topper for sure.

9. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NDL with United's first shot on goal of the game was a pleasant surprise. Sure, his second attempt was of the more traditional NDL variety, but still. Defending, while Toronto did get a few crosses in from his side, way more often than not he forced them to reset, and I didn't expect him to successfully maintain possession out of a 1v3 situation late in the second half.

While otherwise our defensive performance was solid, I do wonder at Birnbaum and Brillant's repeated plays back to Hamid, after his injury. It was pretty clear he wanted the ball less, given Toronto's constant high pressure. I do remember at least a couple of times Hamid having a few choice words at particularly ill-conceived flat passes in front of goal.

I'm with folks on Asad's performance. He seems to want to either do all the things at once, or make the last pass and stop. On the Asad/Lucho breakaway, if he had kept up his run after the tap back to Lucho, he'd have had a tap-in to an open net, but it isn't the first time he's stopped the run after making the pass. Truth be told, that's been a problem for a lot of United players over the years, so I'm wondering if it's just not ingrained in them, or they're just thinking energy conservation or what.

....also, is spreading the opposing team as wide as possible not a thing for corner kicks? We seem to jam near post to middle of goal, and then send the balls far post instead...

Also also, the AR on my side was basically guessing at all the out of play calls. Some wrong in our favour, others not. And some were shockingly obvious. He was probably getting tired of my $#!t by the middle of the second half.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    dadman, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching that from the stands and I literally wanted to go jump on the pitch run up and strangle him after I saw that.

I can't figure him out, one game he is nutmegging opponents and making/scoring chances the next second he does incredibly dumb things.

dadman repped this.
  12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC can't finish 3rd for tiebreaker reasons. 4th is the best they can do.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman, sitruc, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  14. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're honest that wasn't one of Dave's better calls, and while I know many DCU supporters love it I have never been a big fan of "it's in the net!" It has always felt to me like too forced an effort to have a signature call (when it's not a particularly good one). Won't happen but if he dropped it tomorrow I wouldn't miss it in the slightest.

All that said I like him and think he's a good announcer otherwise.

Eastern Bear and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he doesn't channel Cantor and scream "Gooooaaaaaaaaal...."

dadman, Winoman and ImNumberTen repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If he only used half the time, it would be twice as good.

There's an easy tell to figure out the difference between the shitty teams in MLS and the good ones. It's whether they have an announcer scream "gooool" into the stadium PA after the home team scores. Right now, DC United is still a shitty team.

17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Or the Tommy Smyth "it's in the onion bag." Goal calls are like home run calls, there aren't that many to choose from. Russ Hodges shouted "bye bye baby" for Giants' home runs. Lon Simmons said "tell it goodbye". We should be grateful that goal celebrations at AF remain modest and traditional and focus on the player. No musket volleys or "Timber Joey" bullshit.

dadman, Winoman and ImNumberTen repped this.
  18. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I may be the biggest Deleon hater. He did play well. He played within himself, didn't over commit or get caught out of position. Its like he studied soccer while he was injured.

Winoman, Boloni86 and Dizi repped this.
  19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point of it is that it doesn't matter how it gets there... so I like that he uses it every time. I don't *love* the call in the abstract, but I love that it belongs to DC and that it's been part of the team through all of it's years. I assume that few/no other teams can say that about their announcer/goal call.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  20. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Asad was clearly gassed early in 2nd half. I don't think he was physically ready to play at all. You could see his body language...just screamed exhaustion. Was shocked the sub was for Stieber and not him. At least the move allowed him to move up and not continue to be a defensive liability

Winoman repped this.
  21. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
  22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I also thought he was sick, he kept wiping his nose. At the end of the pregame warmups, he just sat in a crouch -- thought it might be a hammy or something muscular. If he was sick, that explains some of it. However part of being a responsible professional means saying "I can't go or I'm not good for 90 minutes." Moreover, if he wasn't right, that makes Olsen's sub of Segura for Stieber rather than Asad even more mystifying. For whatever reason, Olsen has Stieber on a short leash, Asad not much at all.

Winoman and JRHokie repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and why is everyone so amazed at the Rooney free kick. It was good but not that great. Simply what I would expect.

24. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    You can never truly assess how a team plays without seeing the whole field. I've only been to 3 games this year, win over Portland, loss to Philly and last night. The difference between last night and every other game ive seen in the last several years is the cohesiveness in play. Defensively, when high players pressed everyone else moved at the same time to close space. Defending deep, they held their li e when needed, when a step up was needed it happened and rest held position just right. They mostly closed space on attackers in the box appropriately, a VAST improvement. Offensively the movement off the ball was also a huge improvement. Pressed ball handlers almost always had an option and they used it.

Aforementioned attacking breakdowns aside, this is a nice team to watch now.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola will be back for Sunday's match, but I doubt he trained much if at all while in SoCal, so his minutes may be limited, Usually, Stieber is his sub, but Stieber may start again. If Asad is sick/gassed, Stieber on the left and Arriola on the right would be fine, and you can throw Segura into the conversation. Whatever the lineup, we have to lessen the Rooney/Acosta combo in favor of bringing in other players, because teams are catching on, particularly by swarming Acosta.

dadman, Winoman, Stan Collins and 2 others repped this.