DC vs NYRBMF

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Aug 20, 2019.

1. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia

Lucho definitely should have come in earlier, once it became 10 v 10. He would have had plenty of space to manoeuvre. He showed some flashes, but not enough.

We needed to come out harder from the start, not wait until half-time. This is the most important game on the schedule. Once Red Bull gets the lead they can return to their thuggish tactics.

2. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    Murillo crossed Rodriguez' path and then kicked the ground with his toe before falling. Referee should be banned for such a call.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See and I defend my position, the amount of contact was not enough to take the player down, DIVE!!!

ImNumberTen, Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    If it were a DC player tripped we'd be saying it was a good call. Let's just be honest here.

5. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I recorded the game and the recording stopped at the very start of injury time. Did we look threatening in injury time? Any sense of urgency?

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Another advantage of my stay in Italy. Yesterday, I went to Porto Venere and took a boat up the Cinque Terre coast. This game was on a 2:00 AM, so I took a pass. With 3 wins in the last 16, would any other coach not have been fired by now? I'm glad I'm missing the second half of the season. Will be back just in time for the meaningless game between the recently eliminated DCU and FC Cincinnati in early October. Sad thing is that nothing will change, next spring Kasper will have been picking up crumbs left behind by other more resourceful teams and Olsen will be in his second decade of "learning" on the job.

majspike, Dizi, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  7. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    That's the only game I have left also, cashed in all my other home matces...all the wind out of the sails for me this season.

Winoman repped this.
  8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No as a ref I would not be saying that. Others might but I would not.

Dizi, Winoman and ejs1111 repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cincy is also my only remaining game.

Winoman repped this.
  10. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The red card & the PK obscure the fact that we were on out heels. - Yessiree.

In the workplace, long goodbyes are rarely a good idea.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Arriola has some thoughts.

I also wonder how drunk and/or stupid the fan who threw his shoe onto the field last night was.

sitruc, fatbastard, majspike and 4 others repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    No, we wouldn't.

We've had two games in a row where balls have hit opponent's outstretched arms in the area and this forum hasn't made a peep.

VAR sucks.

sitruc, Dizi, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was planning on doing Cincy and Seattle to catch the Rooney farewell tour but I'm scaling it back to just Cincy.

With both being Sundays I really don't feel like catching either to be honest.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at the replay Rooney gave his mark a full forearm shiver that would have made any NFL coach proud. The red was appropriate, regardless of how much the recipient milked it on the ground afterwards. The penalty call was ridiculous, even though there was foot contact. It was all embellishment - after the fact. Here's what I don't know: does the ref have to ask for VAR, or can the VAR officials take the initiative and tell the ref to go to the screen and review the play? I find it hard to imagine why the VAR guys didn't immediately direct the ref to the screen after the PK call.

Otherwise, there were some good signs. In Kamara, we have a striker who plays like a striker. If/when Rooney returns to the pitch, he can concentrate more on being the playmaker. Also, Acosta was very good. I was a bit worried about him, because he didn't warm up at halftime, but spent the whole time talking to a team assistant. If you noticed, after he was subbed in he spent time stretching and doing the things you normally would do during the halftime break.

sitruc, JRHokie, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  15. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    it's not up to the CR on the field whether he goes and looks at the screen.

The VAR looks at the play. If he believes there is a "clear and obvious error" on the field, he communicates what he sees to the CR, they talk about it, and presuming the VAR doesn't back down after whatever he hears from the CR, the CR goes to the screen and looks at the play.

Thus, it's not just a back-up like Arriloa implies in his Twitter post. You can't make a call, and then think, you know what, let me go look at that one again. The VAR has to think you've made a clear and obvious error.

---

There was a referee Q&A forum after the Philly game a couple of weeks back. The crew from the game came up to a room in Audi Field after they had showered and answered questions from about 100+ area referees.

In that game, you may remember that Moreno got a red card after a VAR review. They walked through the whole thing...how it was a Denial of Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity (DOGSO) and the CR felt that there was one component that was missing - that he wasn't sure the player was in position to take a shot when he was pulled down by Moreno - and so he went with yellow. That the AR thought it should have been a red and the VAR looked at it and said he thought it was a red, communicated what he saw, and then the CR went and looked. He said the first view he saw he still couldn't tell and asked for another view and once he saw the second view he was 100% it was a red...

One of the interesting tidbits that I picked up out of that forum was that a clip of every "controversial" call (or maybe just every VAR-reviewed call - I wasn't sure) in a game was sent to every PRO referee who had to vote on whether they thought VAR should have been used on the call (was it a clear and obvious error) and then whether they thought the decision that was ultimately made was correct or not. They may also vote on whether they thought the initial call was correct at the time, not sure.

I haven't looked at the Rooney foul enough yet. Last night the clip I saw on my phone it looked like he was picked, and then ran into a guy. Something that happens 20 times a game during corner kicks. But other posts on here seem to think it's justified.

The PK, I can understand why they didn't go to VAR. There was foot contact. That is probably enough to rule it out from being a "clear and obvious error."

The thing I don't understand is the handball in the box on the Red Bulls. Personally, when I ref, I wouldn't call that a handball - it's not intentional. But that is called a handball in this league every week... And the ref called something very similar at midfield a handball later in the match...

sitruc, Kempa, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, there always seems to be a thing in soccer where a foul at midfield isn't always going to be a foul in the penalty area.

Then you see Titi's penalty, and go "hmmmm".

Elfath's consistency last night was not the best.

sitruc, Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  18. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I'd be going "well, that was a dive, but I'll take it, for the number of times WE'VE been screwed by shitty calls."

sitruc, Dizi, Eben and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^This.

20. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I'm curious about why Rooney's red card was not also a PK. It's been a long time since i read the rules but I thought striking another player is a direct free kick.

Theopisa and JRHokie repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The referee must have determined that the NYRB corner kick hadn't yet happened, so the ball wasn't in play when Rooney's red card offense occurred. In such a situation, the restart stays where it is (i.e. if it had happened before a DC United goal kick, it would have remained a DC United goal kick) because play had yet to be restarted.

stangspritzring and Winoman repped this.
  22. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Surprised at the lack of talk of this. If ball is not in play its not a foul i think. May not be using precise words. But i watched replay several times and im pretty sure it occurred a split second after the corner was taken.

23. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva

24. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

I conquer. The video works on twitter, maybe not here.

Thx,

Jay!

25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy