Pre-match: DC vs. Minnesota Loons SC/FC/United/City

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It is an objective truth that Blur was better than Oasis and neither were as good as Pulp.

bigdavestud repped this.
  2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought we all agreed that it was a complete waste to put Arriola on the left. Didn’t someone tell Ben?

Pines was a monster in one on one defensive plays but should have done better on the goal. He’s going to be good. Love his speed, strength, and strong play in the air. He won several balls to teammates too.

This team has no idea what to do after winning the ball deep. Dump and chase hockey. I believe The goal came after yet another wild boot downfield from Hamid. With midgets in midfield we are never to going to win many of those. Wish we could learn to build from deep like Arenas teams always did. Usually brought Marco deep when they needed help.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    They really should sing a Prince song instead of F'n Oasis. He's from Minneapolis. Come to think of it, we should sing I Feel Like Bustin' Loose every time we win at home, should that happen again.

roadkit, Winoman, greatscott and 5 others repped this.
  4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Goff reports that Jara has a groin injury. And here I was thinking he was subbed out to get some fresh legs out there. Ha ha.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Wonderwall? Perfect for this made for TV plastic ass, know nothing fan base. The fact that its not a Prince song they sing typifies it.

Pines is absurdly athletic at 6'5". He's easily the most athletic guy on the back line, but none of them, regardless of a 3, 4 or 5 man back line are capable of handling out of the back. Maybe Durkin is, but we seem to be married to him in the DM.

There is no way we could use Rooney at his age, coming back for balls like Etch, that's what killed him at Everton 2 seasons ago.

I am not sure how that was a clear and obvious error on the Brilliant foul. What about the MUFC defender with 2 hands on Brilliant's shoulders? Far more of a foul than what he might have done to MUFC's high school grade keeper.

Winoman repped this.
  6. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I think MNUFC named their supporters end the Wonderwall... which would help explain the song further. I agree with using a Prince song instead.

It just sounded lame. DCU played relatively well in the 1st half. Terrible VAR call to remove the goal. 2nd half we played extremely poor. It was very clear we were just stalling and trying to hang on for 0-0. That is shameful against a team as poor as MNUFC. Then to actually lose?
    Did you notice DCU 'turn it on' after falling behind for about 10min... that means they were coached/told to shut it down the 2nd half. Olsen is an asshat.

If DCU wins anything this season...it will be in spite of Olsen, not because of him.

Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    C'mon guys. They've been doing it since they were branded after a local business.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    They should stop. It's embarrassing.

9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fatbastard repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    So sing a goddamn Chumbawumba song and stop humiliating yourselves! "Bella Ciao" for example is already a terrace anthem all around the world.

11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's our tradition.

Don't want to hear the song? Stop losing to us. :)

OldRetiredCoach, Ickshter and Funkfoot repped this.
  12. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Acosta was pissed that Paul didn't continue to play after the MNFC player flopped in the box. Play the whistle Paul, play the whistle.

TS.

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've never heard this song you guys are going on about. Not going to start now. But who cares? No matter what the opposing supporters sing after beating you, you will be annoyed. Would you prefer "You're shit and you know you are" or "You came a long way just to lose?"

14. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is worse than the other fake United using black and red and singing all the same songs as DC.

PSURoss, smakawhat, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Pines. He was assertive and not overwhelmed. Like most very tall players his first step is slow, but he accelerates well and has surprising top speed. I predict a fine career.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    His recovery speed is awesome. He made a couple of mistakes in the match, but was able to recover and tackle the ball away cleanly on two of the three mistakes I saw. I would start Pines over Brilliant already.

ejs1111, DangerMouse37 and TowsonDad repped this.
  17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Who else could they have brought? Edwards?

Thx,

Jay!

18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Right now, the only other choice would have been Ward. DC's problem is that the bench has very few offensive "sparks" available. The only attackers not in the starting 11 are Amarikwa, Stieber and Segura. Of those, Amarikwa has an unimpressive goal total in MLS, Segura is more of a "possession" - defense first play. That leaves Stieber -- a winger, as the only offensive sub Olsen really has. That is on Kasper, for failing to find someone, even a Lenhart type, that can cause some "instant offense" when he is inserted into the game.

ejs1111, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  19. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My journey through unknown United States continue... I didn't know what exactly to expect from Minneapolis, I thought it could have been somewhat similar to Denver, where I was two weeks ago, and instead it turned out to be something completely different... The city is quite spread out and there are a lot of quaint and nice areas, with beautiful and historical houses, some of them over a century old.
    The place where I was staying was half way between the airport and the city center, with very easy access to the light rail to both, and also to a bus than on sunday made me breeze to the stadium in half of the time it would have taken me by light rail. People were nice and friendly, I had good food, and in general the city is very affordable. I did not like the downtown area, which I found too empty and soulless, and definitively not the place where I would have wanted to hang out, so I was very happy that I did not reserve a hote in that area. I saw a great Museum of Russian Art, which does not have a permanent collection, but three floors of rotating ones every few months. It's the only museum of this kind (Russian art) in the United States.
    THE STADIUM - I got there early on sunday as I had been unable to download the Seatgeek app to my phone nor to my Ipod (all tickets are sent to this app, when you buy them). I had created a Seatgeek account on my laptop and was able to transfer my ticket for the away supporter section to it, but only on my laptop. So I went to the ticket office, and to my biggest surprise they did not look at me like I was coming from another planet, they checked my account name and my ID and printed a paper ticket right then and there. Near the ticket guy, there was an impressive stack of paper tickets ready to get printed, obviously they must have a huge problem with this app, which my understanding is, it is supported only by last generation phones. Then I got something to eat, West Indies food (expensive but good) and then I got in. The stadium is really beautiful (also from the outside) - one of the best I have seen in MLS. It could have potentially been the best, but I don't like two things, 1) the beer patio or terrace or how you want to call it, I find it an "americanata" (and yes OK we are in America but it's still an americanata). 2) I don't like the safe standings sections, they look like a cage for hampsters. I like fans standings in their sections but not the safe standings sections (as also in Orlando).
    Other than that, great stadium. The athmosphere: it comes and goes, some moments the stadium is rocking - especially the supporters section, that can be really loud and where everybody sings, other moments the stadium is completely silent. I was especially surprised how the whole stadium got super silent at our (then invalidated) goal. A couple of times the whole stadium waved their scarves, it's beatiful to see but they do that silently. But anyway, good and passionate crowd in general, you can tell the team has entered in people's hearts.
    THE GAME - Not a good game. Minnesota Utd is a very mediocre team, but at least they fight with pride. In the first half we had disposed of them easily, we controlled the game and could have done the same in the second half and perhaps come away with three points. Instead our coach decided that it was time to bunker up and protect the 0-0, we started giving MNU meters and occasions, and their goal was the inevitable conclusion of this suicidal tactic. Rooney had a really bad game, so why not sub him? He's a player like everybody else, he can have bad days too, and it doesn't mean you have to keep him on the field at all costs, if he keeps playing every minute of every game, he's going to be gassed come July. Acosta has checked out, he can still have some good moments but you can tell he doesn't give a f@ck anymore, and he's just waiting for a transfer. Pines was cyclopic, I am not sure 100% but I think he made a mistake on the goal, but are we really going to hold him accountable for that?

Winoman and ejs1111 repped this.
  20. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    We have no strikers save Rooney -- who Ben seems determined to run until he dies -- and Quincy who isn't that good. Not sure how a roster can be built this way given the INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS need to score goals to win. This isn't just a problem this year, it literally has been a problem for a fcking decade.

What gives? We may need all the defenders we can find given the injuries, but I agree -- no 2nd striker guarantees that if Rooney has a less than wonderful day we're screwed. This is an obvious mistake.

Add to that the technical mastery that have defined the Olsen years and, well, there you have it.

Winoman, Hedbal, UnitedBorn and 3 others repped this.
  21. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This pretty much describes every season since he became coach, and is an accurate prediction of future results.

Theopisa, Winoman, UnitedBorn and 2 others repped this.
  22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The subdued nature of the fans is a Minnesota thing. I went to a Twins game years ago in the old Metrodome -- it was like going to the theater. No noise, no yelling, no booing opposing players -- just Midwestern "nice" taken to an extreme. I also concur about downtown Minneapolis -- you have to get to its edges before you see much activity after dark. All in all, the Twin Cities area is nice and I always enjoyed my business trips there. However, those winters are a killer, no fcuking way would I live there year 'round -- although it's a "dry cold" whatever that means.

As for the game, I think the bunkering was part Olsen and part tired legs. However, as I pointed out earlier, this squad has been constructed with no offensive subs other than Stieber. Or put another way, all of the injured players who are reinforcements when they arrive are defenders -- Mora, Fisher, Odoi-Atsem, Jara, McCann and Canouse. At this point, Olsen should see if either Seitz or Earl Edwards can play backup forward -- we certainly know that Segura can't. And, clearly Olsen thinks very little of Amarikwa as a backup forward. This is a talented, but flawed team that will run out of gas sometime in July absent some impactful offensive additions.

Theopisa, Winoman, Hedbal and 1 other person repped this.
  23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Spot on. I've been saying since there was snow on the ground that there was zero depth outside of the midfield and we're lucky that it looks like Pines can play now. The fact that Yow has been with the first team, even as a sub is telling. He's not there to get exposure, he's there because they need warm bodies. I wasn't paying that close of attention, but if we went into this season with open senior roster spots unfilled, that's shambolic and frankly little different that carrying Rolfe last season so MLS paid his salary rather than ownership. And some how I am not shocked.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proven goal scorers cost money which is why we don't have another one.

ejs1111, Winoman and PSURoss repped this.
  25. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    VAR sucks, Replay in general in all sports sucks. This call being taken away is JUDGEMENT, not fact, so they had two chances to make a judgement. They should limit VAR to nothing but whether the ball crossed the goal line or not.