Pre-match: DC vs DaFahyre - MLS Clusterfcuk day

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Oct 26, 2018.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where: there
    Why: for playoff position?
    When Sunday, Sunday, Sunday (after church)
    Time: 4:30 EDT

Mrs. O’Leary says hi.

[​IMG]

James

dadman, Murrdcu, John L and 3 others repped this.
  2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Awwwww!

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gets a vote on Nov. 6th right?

4. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone has seen the recent short interview with Benny at practice, he says that Sunday is basically about one thing, winning and rewarding the fans with a home playoff game. Canouse played up the importance as well.

If you recall, we were in an identical situation at the end of 2016, playing away with a win guaranteeing a home play-in game. We chose to play a bunch of reserves, lost, but it didn't matter because Montreal did too.

Will be interesting to see if Olsen really did change his tune about getting home field for a play-in after 2 seasons, or he's just talking and will still rest players.

IMO definitely go for it. These guys have been pushing for 4 months, they can do it for 2 more weeks. AF is a fortress, let's do what we can to play there.

Boloni86, Heist, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  5. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Wow, was it really just two seasons ago we were last in the playoffs?

I agree, go for it. And it won't be Ben's decision, seriously. Wayne will decide, and it appears he's keeping his chips on the table for every roll.

dcu n bntwn repped this.
  6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what we must do to play the first round playoff match at home? And what would determine that it would be a Wednesday night rather than Thursday? I can't make a Thursday match.

7. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of scenarios, but the simplest is win. As long as NYCFC don’t lose 6-5 or a higher scoring 1 goal loss, which is essentially impossible.

there’s an article on the DCU site which breaks down every combo of results

unsure on dates, they’ll reveal all that sunday night.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all in on this. If we win against Chicago, get a home game and then somehow magically... this is the particular game that puts our guys over the edge of exhaustion then I'm fine with that. I mean, it would suck... but it's WAY better than losing vs. Chicago with a B team, then going to NYCFC and getting beat on that postage stamp of a field cause crazy shit just happens there. We're gonna need to win on the road at some point if we want the cup. Why not start tomorrow?!

If we want to play DeLeon for only a half at RB, that's cool or want to get Mattocks some minutes no matter the score cause we want to get him going, that's cool too. If we want to put Durkin in to give Moreno a rest, that's not a big drop off either. But I'm not sure what wholesale changes we'd make given the injuries we have across the back line. Their bodies are used to playing every 4 days or so... keep it rolling.

marks7mb repped this.
  9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS will make all those decisions and if it's like other years we'll get word really quickly. Teams gotta sell tickets fast.
    DC United/MLSHQ might even know what the results matrix is. Like... if we win and are hosting NYCFC it might already be locked in that that's a 7:30 Wednesday start, but if we are hosting Philly that's locked in for 8 PM on Thursday. At Philly would be Wednesday and at NYCFC would be Thursday. But it's all different if Montreal squeaks in and beats out Columbus for the 6th spot cause of some MLS "logic". To be clear these are all made up contingencies, but I bet someone at MLSHQ has it all down somewhere.

Edit... just looked and the games started at 8:30 on Wednesday (chicago NYRB) and 7 PM Thursday (Atlanta Columbus).

If we host on Halloween I'm going as the ghost of RFK Racoons past.

roadkit, Hedbal, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  10. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a tough one for me. The playoff game could be as early as Wednesday. That's just a few more that 72hr rest.

One could argue that the opponent will be gassed as well, and it's better to be exhausted at home.

Like in 2016, the alternative would be to rest (at least a handful) players and be fresh for the playoff game.

Finally, starting our regulars does not guarantee a win. Chicago played us tough at AF and barely lost to ALT after that. We could start our regulars and still lose. Then, we'd really be screwed.

I guess this is why Olsen gets paid the big bucks.

Winoman repped this.
  11. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some combination of resting players and subbing others on Sunday may result in the best chance that our influential players can go full 90, if needed, in the playoff game.

For me, Asad's fitness is not great. If we want him fresh for the KO game, he should sit tomorrow. Maybe go with Stieber.

Maybe start Durkin over Moreno, as others have mentioned, since there isn't too much of a drop off there.

Maybe start Rooney and Acosta to try to get a lead, but plan to sub them early.

The third sub is a tough one. Arriola is a machine. So, he will probably be OK regardless (or he could be subbed late in the KO game). In think the team would benefit from a rested Canouse and Mora in the playoff game. Maybe rest one of them and sub the other, if possible.

Just some thoughts.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Hoping for three games in eight days

Heist repped this.
  13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been enduring schedules like that since the home stand began, but I was hoping that was behind us. That said, we have been able to cope with it by good man management. Being able to work in Segura; Stieber; DeLeon and Durkin has helped immensely. I am worried about our CBs and Mora, who don't have obvious replacements with so many injuries.

14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Injuries while chasing a result are simply a fact of the competition. I do remember Tommy Soehn starting both Moreno and Emilio in a meaningless regular season finale and both got hurt. Neither recovered and DCU went out with a whimper in the playoffs. This is different, a win means being at home for the play-in game against another team that played on the exact same schedule but now has to travel. That's huge and worth the risk of putting the regulars out there to get a home game. As for depth, remember in 2004, Nelsen sat out the EC Championship because of yellow card accumulation. His replacement -- Ezra Hendrickson -- manned the fort quite well. Don't underestimate the ability of the subs to step up in the moment -- that's what makes sports so entertaining.

marks7mb, sitruc, Hedbal and 1 other person repped this.
  15. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    This is a fascinating scenario. I truely believe that tomorrow and the mid-week game lineup will be more determined by the players than the coach. No disrespect to Ben, but assuming that Rooney starts, I believe that every other (healthy) starter will demand to start too and won't be denied. I have no idea whether that's the smart tactic, but this season was turned around by a 32 year old guy who would not leave the field without victory assured. Having made the playoffs he now has a trophy in his sights.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It would be foolish to change the lineup now. They are playing for home field advantage in a one game playoff.

sitruc, Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! I am amazed that WTOP has any coverage of DC.

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTOP actually had the best setup of any outlet in terms of laying out the playoff position options.

I like the lineup BTW. I remember Asad being pretty banged up during the last game.

If we somehow get it wrapped up early due to our result or others, I'd love for Robinson and Ellis to get some minutes. Would probably be good for DeLeon to not play 90.
    Would like to see Mattocks, whether it's for Rooney or for Segura, I'd prefer Segura. We might need to see Rooney and Mattocks together at some point if we're chasing a goal in the playoffs. I'm not sure Mattocks is done scoring for us this year.

dadman repped this.
  20. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it's not on Halloween...The neighbourhood calls us "the Halloween House" for a reason.

...I don't THINK it's because of all those murders....

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  21. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ain't the murders, it's where you buried the bodies....

stangspritzring and Winoman repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    If possible, we could sub out Acosta, put Mattocks in up top and put Rooney back in the middle. And we still have Stieber and Durkin as subs as well.

I feel a bit odd about this match. We may have to settle for a disappointing Tie.

23. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We catch a VAR break...
    If they called it, we wouldn't have really had an argument.
    I suppose it wasn't a "clear and obvious" mistake.

24. flanier

flanier Member

Sep 1, 2001
    TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having to listen to the Fire broadcast on ESPN+, the announcers' level of homerism is almost as bad as the Revs.

Funkfoot and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're also getting some help from NYCFC over Philly. If that result holds and we get a draw we slide into that home playoff game. I'd rather win, but it's nice to have some cushion. We're not playing particularly well right now.