DC v the Laxatives

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Section 107, Aug 6, 2019.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I go to all of the home matches and was standing in the middle of it and heard at least 5 different explanations.

2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... maybe it confused everyone...

Winoman repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You mean a non-stop to Vancouver? I'd be surprised if that flight exists. I couldn't find such a flight in quick search.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It confused the Galaxy offense, with all of their shots, few were on goal.

Winoman and Heist repped this.
  5. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't I am pretty sure, I did that flight

Went Minny to Vancouver from National
    did what looks like the team is doing except in reverse:
    (YVR - SEA - IAD) on the way back last October.

I'd be surprised if there's anything direct to Vancouver in the DC area.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That appears to be another reason Vancouver should not exist.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    It was definitely noticeable: I with someone from LA (actually a laxative game-day staff member) who was visiting DC on his own; he actually asked about the "vaunted" supporters section that was conspicuously absent in the first half.

8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I noticed that one as well and I've seen similar AR behavior in past games we've attended.

9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    There is none. I worked a project in Calgary and I had to fly through Toronto or one of the big west coast hubs like LA or SF. Getting to western Canada is not easy from DC. In general, in spite of being the nation's capitol, having 2 major airports, no one airline really dominates either airport in the same way as they might in SF, Denver, DFW, ATL.

10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are still league rules limiting the number of charters. I wonder if that will be addressed in the next CBA.

11. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I was in section 127 and did not even realize there was a protest until after. There were a couple of times in the 2nd half where I thought it got downright loud. I generally focus on the game. I don't fault the supporters for doing their thing. If their only bargaining chip is to take away the noise, then they have to do what they think is right.

Heist repped this.
  12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I know for sure that this is an item they;re talking about based on the reports and interviews I have seen. What really needs to be addressed and likely will not be, is setting some kind of minimum. I just can't see the CBA saying you have to book X number of charters or use charters for flights greater than a certain length or during some stretch of fixture congestion. Any fix is likely to only benefit the LAFC/LAG, Atlanta, Toronto types who want to win ahead of making a buck. I think the players should be careful what and how they ask for this, because it may come back to only benefit a few. I don't think you can realistically turn to Levien or Kraft and mandate that they not be shit owners.

ejs1111 repped this.
  13. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    each team is allowed 4 chartered legs (not round-trip) per season (exceptions for weather). The players do plan to bring it up in the CBA but it both sides have commented that it is not one of the more pressing issues.

Charters are extremely expensive - at least double the cost of flying scheduled commercial. The cost difference runs into the millions for the league. Do you want better salaries or you want some more comfort?

In general, DC to anywhere in Canada is very low demand. DCA has the perimeter rule (no flights in/out greater than 1,250 miles with only ~14 exceptions). Between IAD and BWI there are no non-stops to YVR - which just highlights how small a market that is.

sitruc and yabo repped this.
  14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless, when scheduling, IAD and the airline industry writ large should treat Canada with the same level of respect as any other state. Did we quit when the French bombed the Indianas? NO. It's a travesty that so many had to die and yet we can barely make our 4:30 connection in Chicago outbound to Edmonton from Terminal Z. Which would make a great name for a band.

I'm referring here to "Chicago."

The keen lens of history has much to teach us.

dadman, griffin1108, Adler and 1 other person repped this.
  15. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this is the case of Laxative rules vs. the rest of the league? Let's start being assholes too!

16. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    And thats why I was saying that any change will likely only benifit the better owners who are trying to win. In the end, I'd guess that reality will unite the more Levien-esque owners to unite against it as it can only make a greater gulf between haves/have nots. Lets remember, this became a thing in the NFL/NBA/MLB when owners started demonstrating that it made a competitive advantage through the late 80s and early 90s and thats before you had teams coming in with bespoke interiors with upgraded sleeper seats, massage tables and probably whatever else they can put on those planes to make them more comfortable and conducive to player recovery, especially for the teams that are playing every 2-3 nights in a different city.

I fly 50-75k miles a year, you'd be surprised how not useful those direct flight times are into a lot of 3rd tier markets and that was the point of my statement that no one airline dominates the market. I'd bet that flying commercial for Atlanta (Delta), Dallas(AA), NY/NJ (Newark), Colorado (Denver), Cincy & Columbus (Delta), RSL (Delta) or Chicago (AA/United) is a lot easier to get to and from away games than say it might be for DCU, Philly, New England, SKC must be really f-cked. I think the less centrally located teams are a bit more screwed too.

17. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, I just spent half an hour reading posts on the Barra Brava and District Ultras Facebook pages about yesterday's "protests" and I feel dumber.

Any anyone who booed during the Coast Guard swearing in ceremony should get a stadium ban.

ejs1111 and DC Braveheart repped this.
  18. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol people were only booing at "I will obey the orders of the President of the United States..."

I thought it was mildly humorous.

dadman, Winoman, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was conflicted when I heard that booing.
    I think it was genuine and not something planned and I agree that mention of the presidentakes me want to boo, but I feel for those who were being honored for their service.

dadman repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not humorous. No matter what you think of the bozo they follow his orders.

12th Man and Theopisa repped this.
  21. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want more independence on the team level to make those decisions. It's time to split out costs so that teams that want to win will do so consistently. Then we can peel the losers from the pack. I agree with Zlatan, no incentive for getting into the playoffs. We'll never have relegation. Let's at least winnow based on who really wants to develop a vibrant, competitive team that serves the community by bringing everybody together. No more Dan Snyders!

22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You shouldn't really talk of things you know nothing about. I could go on and explain to you why and when, but I really resent your post so maybe somebody else can do that instead of me.

23. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Isn't it 3 per season? 4?

24. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    1160729417687154688 is not a valid tweet id

Thx,

Jay!

Theopisa repped this.
  25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, let's all sit here and trash Acosta for heading into the locker room after the game and ignore the fact that he piled on top of his teammates to celebrate Rodriguez's game winner.

Real Mobile, 12th Man, dadman and 5 others repped this.