DC United Women (W-League)

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by StarCityFan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU has put together a really nicely done highlight reel from the match - it includes every notable moment I remember:

(And that disembodied left hand holding the portable recorder in the post-game interviews? That's me!)

2. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May 17: DCU 2, Virginia Beach Piranhas 0. My writeup at http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=9210
    May 27: DCU 3, NoVa Majestics 0. My writeup at http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=9251

DCU off to play a road doubleheader against the Dayton Dutch Lions Thursday and Saturday. All of United's "name" players should be available (Lohman, Sanderson, Sauerbrunn). Interestingly, both our head coach, Mike Jorden, and assistant coach, Cindi Harkes, are from Dayton, and Jorden's niece plays for the Dutch Lions.

3. socdad

socdad Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Dayton, Oh
    Watched DCU defeat the Dayton Dutch Loins 3-2 last night at Wright state Alumni Field. DCU dominated the better part of the game, particularly the first half and the final 15 min. I do not have stats but I would think DCU out shot the Lions team at least 3-1. The first Loins goal was off a free kick, in extra time, which ricocheted off the cross bar resulting in a touch finish for a charging Lions player. The second caught the DCU goalie a bit off her line resulting in a nice chip.

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU 2, Dayton 0. DCU now 4 wins, zero losses, in first place in Atlantic Division of the W-League's Eastern Conference. One of only five teams with an unblemished record and only team with four wins.

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two Atlantic Division undefeateds went head-to-head this afternoon, with the DC United Women finally downing the Fredericksburg Impact, 3-2, in their toughest match so far this season. They'll face the Impact twice more, but both of those games will be at the Soccerplex.

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman repped this.
  8. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU Women lost to the Supergroup Friday evening ( http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=9375 ), but beat the Northern Virginia Majestics Saturday evening, 5-1, off a hat trick by perennial W-League Team of the Week member Mikaela Howell. With Charlotte and Atlanta playing to a 2-2 draw, DCU becomes the only team in the Eastern Conference with an unblemished record and, along with the Pali Blues, one of the two teams in the entire league with nothing but wins.

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United Women took on the #2 team in their division, the Fredericksburg Impact, and gave them a smackdown by scoring five goals in the first 27 minutes while shutting them out. DCU game report here - mine should be up sometime tonight.

Becky Sauerbrunn was at the stadium signing autographs, talking with fans, and watching the game, but US Soccer forbade her from playing so soon after getting off the plane. So her first home start will be Saturday.

dadman repped this.
  10. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article co-written by me about Mikaela Howell now up at The Equalizer:

Profile: DC benefits from Mikaela Howell’s US move, rising star

11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Very interesting article, I have seen Mikaela play many times in England with her different clubs over the years and she was a honest hard working midfielder at the time. I wouldn't have expected her to devellop as well as she does now.

12. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Atlanta Silverbacks playing to a draw while the DC United Women won, 4-1, DC has clinched the Eastern Conference regular-season championship and will host the conference final four.

In the game itself, Becky Sauerbrunn - amazingly enough - scored the game-winning goal. She said after the match that the last time she scored in actual competition was the inaugural goal for the WPS Washington Freedom, back on April 11, 2009, against the Chicago Red Stars - again at the Soccerplex.

Team report on the game is here. (I'm still working on mine.)

dadman repped this.
  13. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sauerbrunn Leads DCU Women to Conference Championship

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C. United Women rip Virginia Beach 3-0 to finish regular season undefeated; host Eastern Conference Championship next weekend

15. airbornerocks

airbornerocks Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if the games will be streamed online?

16. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression is that the Soccerplex doesn't have good enough Internet for that, but we'll see. It would be nice.

17. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top Seeds DC and Charlotte Advance Easily in W-League Eastern Conference Semifinals

DC United Women Leave No Doubt Who’s No. 1 in East[/quote]

Bring on the Pali Blues!

18. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    W-League Final Four:

Semifinal: Ottawa Fury 1, DC United Women 0
    Third-place match: DC United Women 1, Quebec City Amiral 1. DC takes third by going 7-6 on PKs.