Pre-match: DC United vs Timbers of Portland

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Sep 11, 2019.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Actually I think that analysis is spot on. In a home and away series, it is difficult to bunker your way to two wins especially because they will be low scoring affairs so goal difference in one game probably won't give you a cushion into the next. Also, the opposing coaches can analyze the bunkering and figure out ways to try to break it down. In a one and done the other coach must make changes on the fly and may not have the right personnel on the field to implement those changes. In other words, you can Bennyball to MLS Cup. A theoretical DCU/LAFC match could see a Bennyball 1-0 result with the goal being an LAFC own goal.

2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the new single elimination format DC United getting a win or two in the playoffs isn't that far fetched.

3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the right matchup (Chivas?) could sell out Audi Field.

4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the only really *bad* matchup in the East for DC United is Philly. Avoid them for a while, and the team could definitely make some noise in the playoffs.

5. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Benny has his work cut out to convince Rooney not to totally lose any interest in the game any more. Two weeks ago it was the long flights, now it's poor reffing. Both are valid, but neither are worth complaining about given the salary he's paid. Unfortunately even if he plays his best, I'm not sure the value added to the starting 11 is better than a different configuration that features a younger, faster player. If Ben refuses to play him in a number 10/CAM, for whatever his reason, I can't see how he fits in the starting 11.

dadman repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yep LuchaRoo have done a switch. I'm more worried about Rooney's lack a discipline than Acosta's.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    Twellman likes to make absolutist statements that he pulls out of the sky somewhere. I don't pay him much mind.

dadman repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do wonder what's going through Champion's head sometimes when Twellman goes off on one of his tangents.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, when Taylor was talking about how DC couldn't try and bunker for 45 minutes, I started to wonder if he's seen this team play in the last decade.

Winoman, sitruc, pr0ner and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    VAR sucks.

It's having a big impact on my ability to give one ******** about MLS. If I wanted to watch stupid assholes screw up discretionary decisions with prejudice, I'd watch a cop with a radar gun.

Winoman repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was loudly agreeing with him while he said it though - I mean ultimately it worked, this time, but damn :cool:

Winoman repped this.
  12. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's a MLS version of VAR. It puts stops in the game without there being an improvement in refereeing. Beautiful game. :ROFLMAO:
    To the next person who uses that phrase I'm going to send Dema to work on your leg.

stangspritzring and Winoman repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #63 Q*bert Jones III, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Serious question, is that true?

I haven't watched hardly any non-domestic soccer in decades so I really don't know. Is VAR atrocious everywhere or is it just just here?

My single biggest issue is that if you look at something long enough, far back enough, and slo-mo enough, you can ALWAYS find a foul. Which means that the ref's decision to give or take away a goal becomes completely discretionary. We're putting referees in the impossible situation where we are expecting more objectivity while simultaneously creating more subjectivity.

And then on top of that we're demanding more fairness. If a penalty gets called when a ball brushes off a player's fingernail in minute 5, it damn well better get called when the same thing happens in minute 15, 40, 66, 85 and 94+.When it doesn't, we feel outraged. The logical, perhaps inevitable, conclusion is that soccer becomes gridiron football where VAR is consulted after every important interaction.

I don't see how implementation can vary when the problems are fundamental. But as I said, my ability to watch the game is dying a little bit every week because of VAR. I'm forcing myself to watch games at this point and I'm not sure how much longer I can do that. So I guess what I'm asking is this: is VAR an MLS problem or a soccer problem?

14. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I've not watched enough other leagues with VAR to make a conclusive opinion but I've heard that VAR is used more effectively and closer to its intent in other leagues.
    This makes sense because this is still a problem of refereeing and VAR is simply a tool.
    You could give me the best paint brushes in the world but it wouldn't allow me to create fine art.

Winoman and PSURoss repped this.
  15. sevenMG

sevenMG Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    I too find it not very fun to watch MLS any more. I realize now i liked it better before VAR where there was some calls missed or the wrong call or a ball that crossed the line that was called not a goal or a dive that was called a penalty.
    When VAR came I thought it was going to fix all that but we still have all these things.

Winoman repped this.
  16. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    It continues to be a problem with execution. With VAR, I don't get how the goal line play wasn't reviewed.

And how the F--k do we not have goal line technology? That was like 2010 in the aftermath of I think Frank Lampard's obvious goal not being awarded at the World Cup. Its almost a decade later. The idea what we don't have it is the most shocking thing.

I know there was a play in the first half where Clark shoved Filipe in the back and he went down easily allowing Clark a direct and unchallenged path to the ball. The thing that I struggle with is when they rule out the goal in Minnesota for a not clear and obvious play by Freddy and this again doesn't get a look. How many times have you watached a game and there was a soft foul in the box and the ex-player announcer says something like, "how do you put your hands on the attacker in the box? You know he's going down if you touch him". And this was more than just a touch, Clark pushed him and Filipe didn't really oversell it. I'd hate to see that called against us, but I'd be looking at the keeper wondering why you make that play knowing the attacker in the box is going to go down.

Winoman repped this.
  17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fatbastard, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a good video - I hope it underscored their need for faster cameras on the goal line.

Winoman repped this.
  19. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and more competent VAR officials who know that other cameras exist. :D

sitruc, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  20. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    are they allowed to use any camera view or only particular camera views?

21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're allowed to use all camera views.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Either get it right or scrap VAR. That is two goals -- Brillant's in Minnesota and the "own goal" in Portland that should have counted after PRO reviewed the tape. I get missing yellow and red cards, but jeebus, goals aren't like baskets, they come rarely, if you can't get that right, then take the pipe.

BTW, Pitch Pass has a hysterical interview with Bobby Boswell. If you remember, Segura had to change jerseys in that game and re-entered wearing a nameless "32" which was BB's old number. As Bobby noted, the power of 32 leads to own goals. Folks in Lucca must have wondered why I was laughing to myself as I walked the walls. And, Boswell said the reason that 32 jersey was on the bench is because Birnbaum sleeps in a "32" jersey on road trips to channel his inner Boswell. I really miss that guy, a wicked sense of humor.

tallguy, marks7mb, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.