DC United vs. The Ordure of the Cincinnati

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hedbal, Oct 1, 2019.

1. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben seems to have no clue how to organize an offense. Rooney has been doing all that. We’re gonna be dead last next year.

Von Zee and tallguy repped this.
  2. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't lay this one on Ben.. we had 30 something shots and only two on frame. The chances were there (including before the cards), we just failed to convert. that is primarily on the players.

God Cincinnati is the worst MLS time I have seen in a a while.

3. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I must confess that I did not see the game.... but how in the wide world of sports do we not win a home game against the worst team in MLS playing 11v9 for over 45 minutes?!

dadman, Winoman, nick and 4 others repped this.
  4. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh let's not forget that a 3rd player continued to play with a caution around his neck (17).

Winoman, marek and sitruc repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** United.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I thought he would be the first sub. My money was on him being sent off before the two reds. Their goalkeeper was begging for a card too. Did United know what was at stake? That shit was pathetic. Are we supposed to celebrate the shutout streak or some shit?

Winoman, smakawhat and BassNFool repped this.
  7. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, United is worse at scoring than me at 15.

Winoman, griffin1108, nick and 1 other person repped this.
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Were you trying? I'm not sure United was.

MattR, song219, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Also, ******** the team for basically making that shit a blackout game and not knowing those don't go well for the team.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was, but my girlfriend had a better defense than Cincinnati.

dadman, Winoman, tallguy and 3 others repped this.
  11. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    And this - among many other reasons - is why we couldn’t score. Skyline is awesomely awesome and you NEVER ******** with the chili gods!!! Seriously. Everyone knows this

Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You're wrong. You're very wrong. I expect this post to be deleted and for you to be banned.

fatbastard and stangspritzring repped this.
  13. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skyline chili is like spaghetti with bean and meat sauce. Bleh.

sitruc repped this.
  14. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you were pretty crappy on the field too. ;)

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Back from AF, this game was pure shit. I hadn't even contemplate the possibility of not winning this game. This was supposed to be an easy must win, as simple as it could have not gotten otherwise, against a team that conceded 75 goals in the previous 33 games. DCU was in total control of its destiny. Instead they decided to play with fire and at the end they burned their hand. Now instead than playing at least one home playoff game, we have to go play at BMO Field, where I am sure Toronto will use their home field advantage and defeat us.

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #66 Heist, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Play with fire? They didn't take crazy risks in this game. They just sucked.

Also... and this is NO EXCUSE, cincy played really good d and man did they ever CONCACAF us with fake injuries and time wasting? It's like they were born to do it...

nick and Winoman repped this.
  17. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    You don’t like Cincinnati chili that’s your choice. Your entitled to your issues. But the Skyline cheese coney is one sublime experience. It’s like having a winning home playoff match. Most DCU fans don’t know what it’s like, but it’s pretty damn nice

superdave and Winoman repped this.
  18. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    And no excuse for losing to FCC up 2 men!!

nick and Winoman repped this.
  19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a long time since we won a home playoff game...

GlennAA11 and tallguy repped this.
  20. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was a terrible experience. How do we allow FCC to stay compact down two men? Why, by building attacks at a glacial pace, and working the ball centrally, of course! It's only sporting!

nick, TowsonDad, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So........
    The day started with a drizzle of shitballs and ended with a huge Shitnado (with respect to the late, great John Dunsworth).
    Pulled up to my SpotHero parking lot about 3:30 and it's closed. Call SpotHero and they can't reach the garage owner (lot is Lot T for Nats games so they just arbitrarily shitcanned any other reservations). No SpotHero parking within a mile and a half of AF. Luckily I find street parking on 2nd St NE. However, SpotHero canceled my res, and gave me a $5 credit. The on street parking was a few bucks less than Lot T so I made $7 on the whole deal.

Walk down to AF, endure the stupid lines and QR code scanners. Wife gets a beer for me and my daughter and I go to the men's room. Come out, they are in line to get to Sec. 126 -- but, no one can enter because some banner is being unfurled. A DCU suit says "we warned everyone they had to be in their seats by 4:10 or this would happen." Well, I never got the "warning" and what incompetent operation would not permit its paying customers to take the seats they paid for when they want to.

Get to the seats and watch Cincy get 2 players tossed on the same play. DCU now has over 45 minutes to get a goal, win the game and get at least one home game.

Well....... as you all know, DCU shit the bed and then pissed on the cleaning staff. Really Ben, playing with 2 holding mids when the other team is down 2 players? Showing no urgency when a tie is as good as a loss? As my daughter cogently noted, the first sub should have been Jara for Canouse, not Felipe. Push Felipe up, play 3 in the back and slot Jara in next to Arriola. Then Lucho for Segura and Kamara for Quincy. Instead, Olsen played with two holding mids against a team that couldn't go forward. Nevermind the stupid little one touch perimeter passing that permitted Cincy to stay in a low block for the rest of the game. Really, everyone of the DCU players should donate their salaries to charity tonight because they sure didn't earn them playing soccer. As for Olsen, he has coached any offensive spark out this team, they don't know how to move the ball and score. They are the Bennyball Borg.

Postscript: After the game, we went to Taqueria Poblano in Delray. As we were leaving, saw some folks in DCU gear. Asked if they went to the game, answered "yes" and the guy lifted his margarita and said "6 or 7 more of these and I'll feel better." He added as we left, "that team didn't deserve a home game, but we (the fans) sure did."

superdave, dadman, nick and 9 others repped this.
  22. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely correct - I grew up in East Central Indiana right on the Indiana/Ohio state line & yes, Cincinnati-style chili which is more Greek than Texan is very good.

Winoman repped this.
  23. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That was ugly.

How we manage to be paying 3 DP level attacking players like Rooney, Kamara, and Acosta and have none of them on the field to start is ridiculous. One can't wait to leave one is injured all the time and one is completely out of form and is waiting to leave (not including Steiber the 1M / year midfielder we just let go). For all that money invested, we have the 3rd lowest number of goals scored for the year. We are only ahead of the bottom of the conference Cincy and a Zardes led Columbus. Let that sink in. It's actually even worse since we have fewer "goals for" than 11 of the 12 teams in the West and that 11th team is Sporting KC and they scored 7 more goals than we did.

As for actual DPs, Arriola is a decent player - but not necessarily a good scorer and the disappointing Lucas Rodriguez. That is not much value for money.

The lack of scoring talent is a Dave Casper issue, while the inability to get more out of players is a Ben Olsen issue. This team constantly operates at less than the sum of its parts.

Despite being 2 players up against the worst team in the league at home with playoff implications, we fell flat. The team was bereft of ideas on how to attack FCC. There were so many back and square passes even without pressure. Passes that actually beat multiple players or lines of defenders were almost none existent.

The second item that was poor was that players took way to many touches before laying a pass onto another player. Rather than one or two-touch passing, players were having 3,4 or 5 touches before releasing the ball. This was way too slow for unbalancing defenders.

The third item that stood out for me was the failure to quickly move the ball to the weak side of the field and take advantage of the huge spaces out on the wings. Given that space DC wing players should be attacking the full-backs and making their lives miserable due to the huge spaces they need to cover.

Another item was our inability to stretch the field using wingers going to the end lines and crossing balls into the middle. One of the most difficult situations to defend is to be running to your own end line facing the goal while not really seeing what is behind you.

Unless DCU improves markedly, it will be one and done for these playoffs. They have been made just that more difficult given that it is unlikely we will play ANY games at home during the playoff given our no2 5th playoff seed.

MattR, dadman, GlennAA11 and 4 others repped this.
  24. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I didn't understand what was going on there either. My wife asked who we should sub out, and I said either what you suggested or Moreno, and move Felipe up.

I get the subs he made, though, but while they were understandable, they weren't utilized. Arriola, Segura, and Amerikwa were making runs to space that were ignored, so of course we put in Kamara for Amerikwa only for exactly the same thing to happen. Argh...

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect most if not all of the BS DC United regulars to like this post. I am going to do something I don't do around here.

Ben has admitted that he does not know how to coach his team to attack a team down players. We saw that first hand here tonight. That is on Ben, not Ashton but Ben.

Our guys were static. No runs were made. As many others have said we took too many touches on the ball. Too many negative passes.

Ben pay me $500 I will teach the lads how to attack a team DOWN TWO MEN!!!!

superdave, song219, Theopisa and 3 others repped this.