PBP: DC United vs RSL, Saturday, 3/16, 8 PM

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Mar 14, 2019.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, look, a Saturday night game!

What: DC United (1-0-1) vs Real Salt Lake (1-0-1)
    When: Saturday, March 16, 8 PM
    Where: Audi Field!
    How to watch: FloFC. Or, you know, in person at the stadium. Or ESPN+. Or Reddit. Or whatever.
    Why: Week 3 of the MLS season

Last week, DC United traveled up to Yankee Stadium to play on a terribly maintained bandbox of a field. The match saw United's chances get thwarted, but Bill Hamid stood on his head to ensure a 0-0 draw. No shame in a draw on the road in those conditions.

RSL is also sitting on a 1-0-1 record, with everyone's favorite wanker Mike Petke coaching his team to a draw in Houston to open the season and topping Vancouver 1-0 last week on an Albert Rusnak PK. This will also be Nick Rimando's last match in DC, as he's retiring after the season.

Win at home. Vamos!

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Referees:

REF: Dave Gantar
    AR1: Jeff Hosking
    AR2: Eduardo Mariscal
    4TH: Kevin Broadley
    VAR: Silviu Petrescu
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Winoman repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nicky Rimando farewell tour, stop #3

Dude did a lot for us ..... with a loss in his column, I hope he still has an enjoyable game and is treated not-unkind by the supporters.
    My wife's all-time favorite banner was up behind the goal during the 2004 Eastern Conference final: Jesus Loves, Nicky Saves :)

That being said, I hope his defense leaves him hanging over and over and he has a relatively poor outing, say giving up between 5 and 10 goals :D

I really have no idea who else plays for them.

DCU - 4
    RSL - 1

It'll be cold by today's standards, but a balmy, dry 50ish degrees at kickoff will feel awesome compared to opening day.

4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I could see this one going out 2-nil for us. I'd expect a good showing from the supporters for Rimando, he did help us win a title after all and he's always been a class guy on the field. He was never one of my favorites in goal, but he's defied expectations by pretty much always being on the right side of the razors edge with his saves where had no margin for error.

Boloni86 repped this.
  5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando got a lot of heat here for "flapping at crosses." What do you expect when you are 5'10" (in reality - and I've stood next to him - more like 5'8")? He has had a standout career for club and country and still has quick reactions and great footwork. Back in August he led a poll of fans and players as best all-time MLS goalkeeper.

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Agree that 5'10" is more than generous. I stood next to him at a WC viewing at the old ESPN Zone in 2002, and he was barely taller than me and I'm 5'6" on a very good day. He was the GK on the last DCU MLS Cup winners, so there's always that. Petke was also part that squad as well. When they aren't here, I wish them well. However on Saturday I want to see a RSL absorbe a 4-0 ass-whipping put on by Rooney, Lucho, Arriola and Titi.

shawn12011, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  7. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Saturday will be my first game. I had to give up opening night, bball coaching responsibilities. Given the weather- I'm glad I watched from home!

I predict 3-1 for DCU. We are very solid at home. With the fall-esque weather I expect the crowd to be much better on Saturday.

dadman, MattR, dcu n bntwn and 1 other person repped this.
  8. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I see there is a "beer & a seat" offer out from the ticket office for this game.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  9. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see how the competition for L wing shapes up.

For me, Titi Rod. has not been overly impressive. I suspect Olsen is giving him some time to adapt to the league, even if the performances aren't stellar.

As others pointed out, Segura looked quite good in the last game. He had a bigger physical presence, and this is still often needed in MLS. He also had a handful of shining creative moments in 1v1 situations out on the wing. To be fair, Segura had the benefit of coming in late in the game and was running against a tired defense.

Among the wingers, Stieber seems to be the odd man out. It is too bad that we can't seem to find some use for him. He is a quality player with experience at the international level. Maybe, he could play in the center as a sub for Lucho (when he inevitably gets tired from working his butt off)? Just a thought.

To be continued tonight.

Vamos!!

Winoman repped this.
  10. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was perplexing that Olsen did not use all of his subs last game. Especially when Lucho looked completely gassed. In addition, I know that it is early in the season but I don't think that Rooney is going to be able to play full 90 every game and still be fresh late in the season.

I can only guess that Olsen believed that there was always a chance that Lucho or Rooney could come up with a moment of magic late in the game. I suspect he will be more liberal with the subs at home.

Tonight, if the game allows, hopefully we will see Durkin for Moreno.

We also need to determine what Amarikwa has to offer. If Amarikwa is not useful, we need to figure this out sooner rather than later.

I thought that Titi might be able to play up front in a pinch. However, so far he has not struck me as a goal scorer. So, I suspect that if Amarikwa proves impotent up front, we will need to pick up a striker in the midseason transfer window.

ElApacheTevez and Winoman repped this.
  11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    We've normally played great a home, but I expect a let down - A disappointing Tie

12. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess we'll see. The parity in the league makes it so hard to predict.

We always come out with a lot of energy at home. It would be nice to get a bit of luck and see that translate into an early goal.

Officiating is always important for us. Will the ref allow RSL to rough up Lucho (like in the Columbus playoff game last year) or will he call early fouls and maybe even show an early card? If Lucho is protected, we will be hard to stop.

We looked a bit vulnerable on the counter (especially after our own corners, like the bad old days) last game. In addition, we seemed to have trouble in the preseason with teams that sat back and hit out on the counter. So, RLS' approach to the game will be interesting to see. However, team defense has been great so far and Hamid looks strong. He had a few great saves last game that will feed his confidence.

I see no reason not to feel good going in to this game.

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm also hoping for subs. Hopefully we're up by at least 2 goals by 60th minute. I'd like to see Rooney get a rest at that point and see what Segura can do at striker, assuming Ben is still considering him as an option there. I'd also like to see Durkin come on for Acosta to lock the midfield down. And maybe Stieber for Rodriguez just to get a few minutes under the belt.

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  14. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that Code of Conduct video new? The guys read it like they’re in a police line up. It’s unintentionally hilarious.

Adler repped this.
  15. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    after telling everyone to just subscribe to ESPN+ and use a VPN, it looks like ESPN is blocking my VPN or something. Very disappointed that it won't work. But not disappointed enough to subscribe to the flo. One more nail in my caring about DCU coffin.

shawn12011, Von Zee and Winoman repped this.
  16. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a VPN service so I could subscribe to ESPN+, but when I sign up for the seven day trial I get a spinning wheel of activity that's stuck. Any suggestions from the brain trust?

17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Titi looking a lot better than he did last weekend.

Winoman repped this.
  18. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

19. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has to be a penalty. Right ???

It's tough for RSL, but it's the right call.

Boloni86 repped this.
  20. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has to be a penalty. Right ???

I'm sure that RSL will feel wronged, but that was a clear foul.

Boloni86 repped this.
  21. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman repped this.
  22. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys keep running into each other like they’ve never played together before.

23. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United site says Flo costs $8.99, but once on the Flo site it's $12.49. What is everyone else paying?

24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    That's the same thing it does for me.