Pre-match: DC United vs. Red Bull GMbH Product Marketing and Business Development Department (North America)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Q*bert Jones III, Sep 26, 2017.

1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    in Own Goal we trust. I really should have bought that jersey

Sadly Montreal lost tonight.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  2. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro dominated and should have scored more but they remain pitiful losers, and United had enough quality to make them pay. Mullins' goal was clinical, receiving the ball to perfectly open up and slot in with the outside of his left foot. Miranda getting in on the Redbull desolation tour.

I nitpick at goalies I guess, but why was Clark going to his knees on the first goal? I mean, I know Hamid at least gets a hand on it.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Red Bull is now winless in 7. They're heading up to Toronto next so it'll be 8 by the weekend. Then they play Atlanta and Vancouver and then it's the RFK finale. I think we need to start a deathwatch for Jesse Marsch. His tearful disbelief after the own goal truly nourished my soul.

dadman, Winoman, song219 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Misery loves company. With some team spirit, more exceptional coaching, and a brief but decisive intervention from Own Goal they can truly Fook up the Metros

Winoman repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Same observation- apparently gravity isn't his friend as he seems to favor the Sumo Wrestler/Silverback gorilla posture to prepare for a shot as if getting to ground isn't as natural as falling off a log.

superdave and DCUSA repped this.
  6. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Hope not.
    We want him to stay-on and keep mis-managing that team to a level of sustained mediocrity.
    We don't want the Laughing Cows to replace him with Carlo Ancelotti or someone that actually knows WTF he's doing.

Rick77 repped this.
  7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This has bugged me for years about Olsen. DCU has consistently taken its time to set up a throw almost every time -- even on the defensive side of the ball. We consistently lose 60-70% of our throw-ins by the 2nd touch of the ball. Allowing the defense time to set up completely negates any value from a throw in. The only reason our percentages are as good as they are is because on rare occasion we do take a quick throw to maintain possession.

DCUSA repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have agonizingly paid attention to Korb throwing the ball to opponents (or into impossible situations generally) for quite a while now - I would love to see a stat of how many throws we lose past the 2nd touch versus straight turnovers versus keeping possession.

Throwing straight to an opponent has got to be one of the most frustrating unforced errors.

Winoman repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    As unlikely as it seems a throw in sequence requires a reasonable level of skill and coordination from the players involved. How many actually have a good first touch or real one time skills?

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought of this post and our further discussion when reading the last paragraph of Goff's story on last night's game

sitruc, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    He's on loan isn't he? How do you rate his chances for a repeat next year

12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I don't have any animosity for Marsch he was a solid citizen when he was at DCU. I'd prefer that he does a sterling job managing the team and they keep on blowing it like they did last night.

roadkit, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% - he is on loan thru the 2018 season :)

I would have hoped he'd stay anyway.

NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Marsch teach his players to redirect Stieber's free kick and Miranda's cross into the goal? Or did they do that on their own? If you watched the match, the Heifers were all over us most of the time and outshot us significantly. You can't realistically blame this on the coach.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That's odd. Ben Olsen gets blamed for that kind of thing all the damn time around here.

dadman, Real Mobile, Murrdcu and 5 others repped this.
  16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Same old Metro, always drawing.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I will agree with you on the skill part, but an average MLS team should win at least 50% of its own thrown-ins. I think that number should be closer to 65%. The big problem is the time DCU takes. It allows the defense to dig in. In my low skill rec league we easily averaged over 50% of our throws.

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta is the only United player who consistently tries for quick throw-ins when he's near the ball when it goes into touch. It's quite noticeable.

19. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You guys know that DC scored two goals off throw-ins last night, right?

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and both of them were short and to the feet, IIRC.

sitruc and Eastern Bear repped this.
  21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Two quick throws as well. No long set up like Ben usually does. Both Sam and Miranda picked up the ball (or was tossed by ball kid) quickly and passed it to the teammate's feet nearest them. I hope Olsen notices what happened and stops with the slow it down set up process.

Winoman repped this.
  22. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can blame him. What was the deal subbing a new center back and moving their best, most effective defender in Kemar Lawrence? What purpose did it serve? All it did was cost them two points, not only the own goal from the sub but shambolic defending on the Mullins goal as well.
    Plus, March brushed off Olsen post game, he can go EFF himself. I get on Olsen all the time, but at least he takes his hits and still congratulates opponents.

shawn12011, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They also have really shitty defense and left Patrick (I've scored in one game this season and that was the last one) Mullins unmarked on the penalty spot. That was sloppy and it wasn't the first time their defense went to sleep during the season. That is on the coach. Accidents happen but the Mullins goal was not an accident - it was laziness.

james

24. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. Sounds much better that way, LOL.

dadman, majspike, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  25. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome result