DC United vs Philly Cheesesteaks

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, May 10, 2017.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Kinda off subject but will Brexit suddenly unleash all that non-Brit talent that makes the English leagues "better"? If they have to play without all but 3 foreigners per team there should be some fine pickins coming up both on the field and managers too.. Of course coming to America may be a bit more difficult for people who aren't Chinese real estate investors but $ talks

Winoman repped this.
  2. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blame should be shared all around...

While the roster is certainly subpar, let's not forget it was Olsen who started off the year with Franklin playing CB. He also won't give up on DeLeon, trying him practically every position except goalie.

Let's also remember how Olsen "coached" Boskovic and Salihi when he did have some talent on the team.

He had had his chances...

Eastern Bear, grumpydcu, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a circular argument.

What is known:

1. Ownership is spending less money on a team than most of the league.
    2. The teams that spend less than we do have strong academies and save money on homegrown players.
    3. We save money by dumpster diving the leagues cast off bin.
    4. Olsen has not shown he can develop young talented players when we have them.
    5. Acosta is both the most talented player and our biggest liability (the liability is on Ben).
    6. Neither getting rid of Olsen or the FO is going to do any good for this season.
    7. The FO usually signs an impact player in the summer when the ship has already sailed.
    8. We shall see.

James.

Winoman repped this.
  4. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen has been given way too many chances. Unfortunately since the word accountability doesn't mean anything to our club, Ben will be here for the unforeseen future. He's shown through the years that he values hustle and grit over anything resembling technical skills.

I don't understand how the fans are fine with mediocrity. If changes aren't made, DC United will continue to be the joke of the league.

JRHokie, Theopisa and Winoman repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I was thinking about the Lucho send off this morning. My comments were along two lines: (1) DCU has a tradition of hothead #10's in Etch, Gomez (the spit) and now Lucho. I think some of that comes with the mindset of a 10. Hell, Etch was tossed early in his first World Cup match. Gomez lost his shit in a playoff game. I think you have to expect blow-ups from a "10" that gets hacked to slow down/destroy his game. My second point, which focuses more on fan reaction to the "malignant dwarf" comment, is that it is class-based. Most of us are used to dealing with middle class youth soccer, high school and college players. Given how soccer playing is compensated in the US and the relatively high costs to entry into competitive soccer, you have a game played by many kids who expect to get a college degree and move on in life at the end of a playing career with some type of alternative marketable skill set. I don't think Lucho comes from such a background, certainly other foreign players don't as well. Soccer is their ticket out and how they will make a living. The constant fouling, and in this case hacking at knees and ankles of Acosta is a direct threat to his livelihood both today and in the future for his family. He is more likely to view such hacking as a existential threat to his career and future economic well being. In such a case, if the referee won't protect him, he'll have to fight back and send a message that if a team threatens his physical well being, one of their players may well run the same risk. I don't condone it, but I understand it. In many ways, hockey deals with this better in that every team (except the Caps) has an enforcer who is there to make sure the star is protected like Gretzky had his Marty McSorley. Sometimes a team is lucky and has a Mark Messier who is both supremely talented and someone nobody else will ******** with.

6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #81 shammypants, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Portland, Orlando, Atlanta and even Minnesota (and others) were able to find better coaches and yet you still pull this nonsense. As if the entire footballing world, Central America, South America, lower divisions elsewhere etc. have no coaches that could outperform Olsen for a couple hundred thousand a year. People brag about and fall all over players like Acosta or Valeri or others who were throw away player from clubs no one here in the US follows but finding coaching talent from that same pool is just impossibl (as one example).

Winoman, sitruc and redcomet repped this.
  7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference between those clubs and D.C. Is that our FO doesn't want to spend money.

James.

Winoman and ImNumberTen repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    After a nice meal in good company, I have come to the conclusion that anything is OK just as long as they don't bring Freddy Adu back

shawn12011 and griffin1108 repped this.
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hold on now! Maybe he can coach ...

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He told me once, in so many words, that he failed to see Boskovic's quality until he was gone. He showed real remorse for that error.

Winoman, sitruc and shawn12011 repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Acosta's red card: I don't think the ref shrugged off Gooch's push of Acosta - he simply didn't see it. In the replay the ref is looking the opposite way and doesn't have Acosta in his sight.

sitruc repped this.
  12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to be so prolix, but to get back to scouting, or lack thereof: The player who scored Philly's first goal on that laser strike from downtown. Haris Medunjanin, is from Bosnia-Herzegovina and has played all over Europe and the Near East: the Netherlands; Spain; Turkey; Israel. I wonder if he ended up in Philly due solely to his agent, or was there a scout involved who was willing to go the extra airline miles to find a good player.

Winoman repped this.
  13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Right but Valeri, Acosta, and many other internationals were dirt cheap relative to what big clubs in established leagues pay. Similarly, the 2010s have been seen as a golden era for managerial/assistant talent in Central and South America and I find it hard to believe that we couldn't attract someone from Venezuela (topical) or Central America that wouldn't coach for us for Olsen's salary + a little more, just like the league finds cheap player talent from the region.

Winoman repped this.
  14. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Earnie Stewart may have been familiar with him. He was a technical director for two different Dutch teams while Medunjanin played in the country.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would explain it. But someone, maybe Earnie, had to have kept up with him after he left the Netherlands and began his peregrination around Europe and Israel.

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfffffffffffffffffff!

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WHO ARE YOU WANTING TO HIRE?!?!?!?!

I hear you talk about better coaches. WHO?!?!?!?!

Is this Let's Make a Deal. And behind door number 3 is either a successful coach or a goat? So do you want to keep the $80 in cash in your hand or take what's behind door number 3?

Sorry but you keep up this rhetoric but you don't provide viable solutions. That makes you a cry baby.

Who are these Central American and South American miracle workers you speak of.

I in no way will call Olsen the perfect coach but as I have said from day one. Fire him. Fine who are you going to hire.

fatbastard repped this.
  18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No these are the facts. A roster of misfit toys looks really nice on a Christmas cartoon. On an MLS pitch not so much.

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DC United's new coach, nameless,faceless Ecuadorian.

[​IMG]

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are partially right - a new coach is not going to have success with the way this team builds from the scrap heap of MLS. He isn't going to have the team's respect the way Olsen seems to.

He will be hamstrung by ownership and FO that don't want to rebuild from the ground up. That lack of support will keep any talented coach away from the team (nameless/faceless Ecuadorian included). Until a candidate sees an ownership group and FO that is hell bent on success and willing to make the right moves we aren't going to attract anyone else. Better Ben than Onalfo.

james

Boloni86, griffin1108 and shawn12011 repped this.
  21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And that's my point. Like every other United fan I love Ben Olsen, the man. I see the flaws in his coaching abilities. However as you say with the shoestring budget where you take MLS scrap heap guys, mid to lower level South/Central Americans, draft picks and some home grown kids you are going to struggle. There is no nameless faceless South/Central American who can save this dung heap. MLS has passed DC United by. Years 1-7 we were royalty. Now we are the court jester's wardrobe guy.

22. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I've already said several teams with better coaches since Olsen was hired but he rates so poorly that literally a faceless Ecuadorian would be better. His record is that bad. No other team in the league would have kept Olsen as long as we have with the same results, none. We are a completely special entity, unusual in the league. Someone should quite literally just google "recently sacked manager South America" and offer whatever pops up in Google first a contract and it would likely end up OK.

redcomet repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The only current coach in the league with a longer tenure than Olsen is Vermes.

24. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And with well different results...

25. shawn12011