DC United Vs Columbu sCrew

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Q*bert Jones III, Apr 23, 2019.

1. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen (or was it Kasper) said in the off season that they were looking to develop some tactical variety this year. Seems to me from the results, they picked the right games to do that.

I'd agree it won't work against the cream of the crop, but against mid-to-lower table teams on the road... it has to be executed better, but it's gotten us results. And, I'd argue, there's no way adding Mora to the mix makes this formation worse. It's possible injuries opened the door for this, but it's equally possible they planned to give this a go anyway.

Ya, we need more centerback/cowbell. But in this formation, Jara and possibly Durkin could serve there.

Yesterday I noticed we didn't do well positioning for second balls. If we're going to play the scrappy underdog that wins with 40% possession, we've got to do that. Otherwise, Bill has to stop launching long balls to the other team. That element alone could be the difference between parking the bus and going for the jugular

2. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    the gd long balls are one of the things that annoys me about MLS and USMNT ball. and it has been this way for decades. I remember watching a MNT game at summers with the bruce. I asked why do we always do that? he said because the us/mls just doesnt have anyone good enough to bring it up from the back. 20 years later nothing has changed.....

3. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Plenty of long balls are played in the best leagues in the world. Maybe a little more for the reason the Bruce mentioned, but overall I think just like mixing passes and rushes in football spreads a defense and keeps them guessing, the same is true by mixing long balls and small pass combinations.

GumbyG repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    One of the things that most impressed me about Pines was how good he was with the ball at his feet and his ability to pick out passes.

ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.
  5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto Durkin. His accurate long-range passing is what I first noticed about him last year.

Winoman and Heist repped this.
  6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Duh, this is next weeks game, the thread title threw me off.

Anyway, just got done watching the game. Please tell me the Rooney fan girl wasn’t with our traveling support. Made it sound like a WUSA game “I love you Rooney.”

Thx,

Jay!

7. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Obviously a lot of knowledgeable people posting, but what I see is teams high pressing all over the place and giving Hamid little choice but to kick long. I'm not keen on seeing Birnbaum or Brilliant trying to control and turn on very quick and skilled forwards and midfielders.

song219, John L and Winoman repped this.
  8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Durkin?
    Also, Rooney isn't bad at winning the ball or odd the air when Hamid had to play long.

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Unfortunately, Hamid gets under the ball too much and the ball then drops like a lob pass, and its generally up for grabs. And unless Rooney has excellent positioning, the taller defenders win the ball.

ejs1111, GumbyG and ImNumberTen repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    every one of those kicks out, turn into a 30-70 ball......................yes we are the 30 in that.

Winoman, griffin1108 and ejs1111 repped this.
  11. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    The stat that matters is 1-0.

Q*bert Jones III and shawn12011 repped this.
  12. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Don't worry... our top notch staff will coach that out of him. ;)

Adler and Winoman repped this.
  13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    At this level, you coach yourself on your weak points. Maybe somebody needs to point some finer points out to you, but its up to you to put in the effort in the off-season and in the off hours.

When I did game-day volunteer work for DC United home games in 2012, I would always - ALWAYS - see an rehabbing Bošković practicing free kicks on goal. Maybe with an asst coach, sometimes with just other players. But he was doing this all the time.

And its very easy to point out players who we fall in love with their first year or so, but who then seem to regress. Thats on them. Not the coaching.

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Lol, I always practice free kicks when I'm tired.

15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to be reminded of Boskovic - Olsen's biggest blunder IMO was not recognizing his quality. And Ben admitted this to me after the fact.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.