DC United v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, March 17

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 11, 2018.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2018.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Maryland SoccerPlex? The U.S. Open Cup is starting early this year.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Boniek has still enough pace - better than Alvarez Alexander etc

We make those golden missed shots by Manotas and Elis in the second half we win. Manotas worked hard but he either is pressing or too tired to be be sharp. His layoff on that glorious chance for Elis in the second half was well done but he needs to come through and get his shots on target.

Memo over Alvarez every day. Alvarez doesn’t have the wheels anymore and is a liability defensively. What more does the kid need to prove? Last year he was man ofvthe match against DC.

We looked good pressing high 1st half but we where too tired second half - couldn’t close space in midfield and we were second to every ball.

Agree with Rey that Martinez is OK but not going to win a championship with him.

Overall team fitness seems mixed. Leonardo guilty on watching play instead of tracking markers, missing tackles. Some of that are mistakes made by tired players.

2. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Don’t get me started on Quioto - seems to take the easy way out in any situation lazy
    he just doesn’t want to work hard like Elis

BTW who is responsible for the outside half who scored the second goal for DC

3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone. There were about three or 4 guys standing around.

4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What a terrible second half of football to have to witness. Trash.

5. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. He’s been mostly disappointing so far

Heft repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a bunch of complaints about the amount of added injury time and how the ref let it go over the estimate - they put 5 minutes up on the clock and then Leonardo went down in the 1st minute of injury time and was down for a good 60-90 seconds and the trainer came out. So I assume that time was just tacked on to the announced 5 minutes. And once he gave the foul that set up the DC free kick before the equalizer, he was gonna give them time to restart and take a few whacks at it. He even added another minute after the DC goal which surprised me a bit.

You can argue about the 5 minutes to start, but I don't have an issue with how he added more time for injury and the goal.

*rey* repped this.
  7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Got outcoached again. Our coach has an eye for people to fill his scheme, not game management skills. I don't care if we start the game playing a style that is hard to "control" and I will agree susceptible to flipping back on us. That should be clearly understood by now. What is clearly understood should then be planned for and managed. There should be some Plan B we can execute where we can play 45 minutes with a 2 goal lead and get to the whistle with a win. It almost does him a favor to act like it's the system since that is passive and doesn't judge him beyond the starting formation. The coach can shift formations. The coach can sub different people.

He pulls our most dangerous player. He abandons the pressure that was working. He puts two old farts on the field.

I get Alvarez and Boniek late in some game like Vancouver where we are parked other end and need an assist. I don't get them every week, like this one, where they are putting on young players and desperately throwing bodies forward. Elis out killed the offense, which I don't like, and then the defense tired out.

I think we need a young speed sub and some youthful energy off the bench as an option. OK Elis comes off but someone fast goes in. No break. I think we also need some legbreaker bench options for games we need to close out. Granted, we have some people hurt, but this is a game when it would have helped to send someone out just to run around and harass.

I also think we need to have some sort of a workable Plan B that we can shift to out there, where we can be dangerous and possess but drop back into something like a 451 or 442.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    At least one thing about pulling Elis is that he serves a role akin to 10 in lieu of having one, so it's like a combo of pulling a forward and your 10. I get we are probably keeping him fresh but if Cabrera intends us to continue going toe to toe he needs playmaking and finishing out there off his bench. It was a conservative offense sub but then he didn't firm up the defense either.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Defense was p*ss poor yesterday. This is trending to be another year of offensive production but also a defense allowing 40+. Some of that is systemic but when put on an island, they weren't playing well on it. I am sure our whole backline has trade value, they need to give Fuenmayor some time to see if he's worth keeping, and if we show up playoffs with either of these last two backlines or even Delagarza, it should be obvious that some round in the playoffs this is what happens. If we have ambitions this gets fixed. If not, repeat of last season, some days the offense handles it, and joy. Some days it fizzles and we can't hold leads. I grant 433 doesn't help but leave Elis out there for an outlet, boom the ball out instead of trying to pass our way out, and get some people who can straight up man mark.

I mean, that first goal they almost walk it in. And on the second there are a couple of their guys on the rebound, with little time on the clock, all alone inside the 18. This is not some DP dribbles the team. This is basic breaking down, lack of mobility.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Nah. Cabrera didn’t get out coached. It’s the quality of player he has at his disposal.

We’re back to being a team from the ‘land of misfit toys’.

11. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    well if anything we are learning that
    Quioto is not scoring and only half assed helping defense
    Alvarez isn’t helping us hold the ball any longer or help much on defense
    Leonardo and Machado haveone brain fart / bad missed tackle a game
    Everyone who starts is looking gassed by the 70minute
    Alexander is pretty tidy with the ball but a step slow defensively and a liability when the field get stretched out on us
    Memo still hasn’t got any time on the field

does the coach see the same thing and if so will he do something about it

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Up 2-0 the misfit toys are working, and a competent coach with a decent roster can get that home.

If there is a talent issue, and I grant there is, it's there wasn't much roster turnover so it's same type results. As last season, not the bad years. The bad years we'd be sitting on our own end.

But this has been two weeks of winnable games. If it's winnable part of the coach's job is to figure out who and how to get there.

13. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we are a band of misift toys and we go up 2-0, couldn't that also mean that we have a great coach that got his players to over perform? Maybe a lesser coach only gets this team to score once a game? only four teams in the West have a better GA and we are 2 points from first place. Perhaps we have a team of 4s and 5s and this coach is getting them to play like 7s and 8s? and due to their inherent lack of talent, it is near Herculean to keep a team at home from scoring - especially with two starting D players out?

Still waiting for the Manotas hype to become reality. (rinse and repeat) He is quickly becoming a chapter in our "WTF is going on with our striker" book. yes he banged in a sitter from the six yard box, but doing that is the suck ass minimum. he has had inexcusable miss after miss and is virtually invisible for large minutes of the game. I was hoping he would learn to play off the ball side shoulders of defensemen, run diagonally toward the box, come to the wings to play a quick on two with the wide players and learn to hold the ball up, during the offseason. I have yet to see any of that. his predicability makes it a cake walk to defend him. he is still young but i haven't seen any growth from last year. hopefully he can progress quickly the next few weeks.

im all but convinced that the rumor of leaning to play a plan B when teams shut down the counter was all pablum this preseason. i haven't seen a second of it. Martinez gets criticized (rightly so) for his lack of contribution but i haven't seen a game plan where he is a focal point moving the ball forward. we still seem to be a counter or lob desperate balls into the box offensive team.

PS

lets not lose sight that this is still an above average team and going deep into the playoffs is a reasonable expectation this year

14. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch

DaMarcus Beasley calls D.C. United's temporary venue 'unacceptable' for MLS

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Lineup:
    27; 33; 30; 35
    29; 28; 23 (33)
    27 (26); 22 (32); 22
    Avg: 28.4

Unused Bench: 29; 21; 22; 24 (Avg.: 24)

Players involved in DC's scoring second half: 23 23 32 24 27
    DC subs: 23 26 18

16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Cabezas was healthy, we win this game. And likely the last one.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is still early in the long season that is MLS league play.

Let us see if we get more of the 4-0 Atlanta games and less of the Vancouver home loss games. Not to mention that these road 2-2 draws are to be expected in such an evenly balanced/parity league like MLS.

VAMO' HOUSTON!

18. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Every team can type up a similar statement. Also, I disagree. The drop off from Cabezas to Ceren is not that big IMHO. The drop off from AJ Delagarza to Kevin Garcia is gigantic that is why we have to move Machado to the right to cover and let Senderos and Leonardo start next to each other. The drop off from Elis or Manotas to whomever else is large.

IMHO, we did not win three in a row because Tomas Martinez is not a #10 and is not a DP. Quito is a head case. Arturo Alvarez hasn't looked great off the bench. Our big winter acquisition can't sniff playing time to date. We are short 1-2 legit DP's compared to other teams and we have no youth system so we are systematically behind the eight ball compared to other MLS teams.

ChrizG13, *rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #44 juvechelsea, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    I'd say just because Cabezas is out doesn't excuse having no DM sub on the bench to even put in. Part of the test of "is it the players" or "is it the coach" is how well you can cope without a player. He got a 2-0 lead, the game turned back on him again this week, and he had no response.

That was the second straight game it was like it turned on a dime, and he didn't have an answer. Last game when Shea came in for the injury the game flipped, and he didn't seem to get what the game needed, which was crossing quality ie Boniek, and maybe a big lunk to get in there and head things. This game flipped after half time and yet he never seemed to adjust. Pushbutton attacking subs, older players who didn't defend well plus Quioto who doesn't either. No DMs even on the bench to calm the game and see it out.

I also think both games exposed the age and lack of speed in the back but that's more of a GM screwjob. However, if it's not fixed in the summer window and Fuenmayor doesn't play I start to blame the coach for not addressing what's in front of him.

I also think if part of your game is high pressing then you need some subs who can sustain that. If you're not going to do what I am implicitly suggesting and clog for 45, well, then, have people around who can spell Elis and some of the others and chase people so we can sustain it for 90. Part of what I see is a team that like someone said, runs out of gas and can no longer keep playing the way it started with the same people, and neither subs in a way that can continue the system, nor has a "pack it in" strategy.

I think ironically Boniek might have been a good sub the week before when we needed a cross. But this is wandering into how Cabrera seems to like these Sanchez style supersubs he can push the button for every week, even if that's really a "chasing the game" sub only needed those weeks (like last week). This week we either needed to park on the other end by putting in the same sort of pressure and speed, or we needed to just bunker and fill the holes. The three he put in were the worst sort of in between, and as some are pointing out, I've not really seen Quioto or Alvarez producing from the bench yet.

Like I said before, this is Dom in a 433, he spends his time figuring out starting lineups and he gets reliable old veterans for the bench. Front-runner. He is not a game manager. He does not adjust if the game reverses back at him. He does not accumulate speed on the bench or youth.

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    To me, you want a mix of bench options. Some height, some speed, some technique, some legbreaking. I harped on the lack of a legbreaker to help close out last game, felt like the injury was an excuse.

But a thought occurred to me re the subs he did use. Should Boniek/Alvarez be an "either/or" as opposed to an "and?" We can debate the value of Sanchez but Sanchez had some hustle to him defensively and there was just one old man on the field. In this sub pattern, he's putting a 32 and 33 y/o who don't play a ton of defense, out there to close games, together. I could maybe understand chasing the game at Vancouver with them and/or Memo (honestly I think Memo and Boniek because what you needed was precision delivery). But is it a bad idea for a team trying to hold a lead to put on 2 attacking subs who are older technical types who don't play much defense. That maybe like Sanchez this should be a "not every game" and a "pick one" scenario.

I also don't think Quioto is helping. I think they should be shopping him. But for the purposes of this where that matters is you aren't getting the production from Quioto which raises the pressure to put on other offense. And then if you reflexively put on the coach's favorite old fart brigade it's 2 old men on top of the other old men, and 3 guys who all don't play defense.

21. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got all the points!
    1) What a let down - a guy who seems to have the tools vision etc but isn't executing...its like he craps the bed once he is on the field, he is half the player Vicente Sanchez was and half his age.

2) I believe this - It's like he thinks he is a big star so he plays like crap because he isn't starting.

3)Another let down, had a great preseason - which is why preseason literally should mean nothing. #PlayMemo

4) Whats going on there? Fitness? He isnt better than the dinosaurs we have? Cabrera is letting him earn it?
    I can't judge him because I haven't seen him play but he was a DOTY in his country where they have guys who can BALL.

Heft repped this.
  22. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between this last minute Dagger that feels like a loss (With this win we erase the Home loss) .....and the UH Basketball Dagger....Houston has failed me twice this weekend.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Why not simply pay attention to what worked? Short term I'd start Boniek and bring Martinez off the bench. Big factor in the ATL game was Boniek whacking crosses. He will produce. Martinez was out for that game suspended. Hmmmmmm. Then pull him at 50' since he's old and put in the kid who we know can play a solid 40', and instead of holding back the team with imprecision early and old energy late, it's precision early and then some youthful legs to defend and create late. if the kid truly has it in him, maybe the more truncated role will force him to bring it forth. If he continues to splash and flail in the water, even when he has a shorter period of time to worry about, we consider ripping up the deal and revamping.

Ditto the defense, where I don't care if they aren't sure if Fuenmayor is ready, I'd rather see if he's an Elis or more like a Martinez. The back is not stable and making changes also suits accountability. Doesn't work, cycle back around to the others.

I think we could be netting more points, easy, is why I am beefing now, but I think the team will look different this summer and that will be more telling than lineup tweaks or subs. The important thing now is keep getting points and stay north of the red line, until the reinforcements arrive.

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #49 juvechelsea, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Or play Boniek and Martinez (with Ceren for now), and give Boniek the playmaker role and tell Martinez his job is primarily defending but then clean passes. We've been trying to make Martinez into Sanchez aka playmaker when what worked in the playoffs was instead Sanchez fronting Martinez and Cabezas, aka Martinez Brings His Hard Hat.

Then Alexander joins Alvarez and Memo off the bench and there's a game-killer option.

And that may not feel like "why we signed the kid" but we should be fielding our best XI and providing ourselves with the most tactical options, not trying to knock square pegs into round holes to justify the money we spent.

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Fuenmayor, the Venezuelan guy? Not gonna slam Kevin Garcia too much I can’t believe that guy would have a lower ceiling.

Quioto has been disappointing for a while now. 10 months ago I thought he was the real deal and Elis was an Oduro clone. Now it’s like Quioto is Derek Bell in Operation Shutdown.

Totally agree that while we nominally have two DPs under the salary rules — and a few TAM buy down guys - we probably are 2-3 upper end MLS players behind the better squads

*rey* repped this.