DC United v. FC Rocky Mountain High (aka Crapids)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rare retraction: Yes, Robinson only moseyed out to cover Feilhaber, but it was Moreno who just stood there leaving the dangerous Kamara totally alone to direct Feilhaber's service into the net. What was Moreno thinking? Isn't a defensive midfielder supposed to size up the possible attacking options and insert himself into the danger zone?

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Agree, except he was looking upfield as though he sensed a late run to the far post by a midfielder. My guess is that pre-game it was drilled into everyone that the CBs would look after Kamara, so Moreno's attention was elsewhere. Pure supposition obviously, but that seems to explain why he's looking upfield and not towards Kamara.

Edit: I have to add that the ball to Kamara was spot on for him to direct it with force into the net. Maybe Pines had the height to really bother Kamara, but I think that once that ball leaves Feilhaber's foot, it's a goal regardless of what Moreno could do. Which goes back to the lack of marking/pressure on Feilhaber set in motion the events leading to the goal.

3. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point

That was an insane play.

Now that I live at altitude it really is brutal on flatlanders that come out here on short notice and have to compete.

Lungs deteriorate with age - I dependent of fitness. So after the three goals it actually made sense for Olsen to go into a low block with as many young players as he could get on the pitch.

Kind of surprised Rooney went 90 actually.

4. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know I don't love Olsen, but sincerely, how? They had to play Montreal on tuesday. I am kind of surprised they were not on my Spirit flight on friday night.

5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #105 Theopisa, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    My Denver experience: first of all, great city and very nice people. Then the weather, absolutely crazy: flurries and cold on arrival friday night and saturday morning, in the fifties by lunch time, then once the sun goes down cold again, not freezing but cold enough. You have to dress in layers and cope with it. I am not going to write anything about the game since it has been discussed enough, but I will say something about the stadium: not impossible to reach by public transportation, but kind of a pain in the ass; typical MLS first generation SSS, very similar to Frisco in the layout, not a great visual from our section to the opposite end, you think you have seen something that was not how you thought you saw. Good crowd - not sure exactly how many but I will estimate between 16 and 17K, I thought it would have been half empty. Then, two big, big, plus:
    1) when we enter the stadium, a lady scans the bar code on my friend's cellphone, then prints from a small machine two small "real" tickets, with game, date, time, teams and logos. A very nice back to the past!
    2) the stadium has some sort of English pub; they have fish and chips and especially PIES, real pies like in the UK. I eat one with meat and mushrooms, and it fills me up till breakfast of the next day. It would have been worth it coming to Denver just for this.

Sunday, before flying back, we take a Mountains and Parks tour, very interesting, we see the Red Rock as well as Buffalo Bill's sites. It's incredible how these mountains are in such a short reach from the city, and how people take full advantages of them to run, climb and stay fit, in two days the only overweight person I have seen was when I looked at myself in the mirror. Something that has really shocked me and that was later confirmed by a friend of my friend, who was born and raised there, who told us that Colorado has the lowest obesity rate in the country.

dadman, sitruc, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #106 Q*bert Jones III, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    The defense seemed crazy disorganized all damn night. The assignments were constantly getting messed up. I'm not sure if that's because of the formation or because there were three people on defense that don't usually play there. But that's a tremendous cause for concern.

On the bright side, I thought Pines was terrific individually; he didn't make a wrong step all night. Donovan is a very, very large person and he seems like a cerebral defender; that's a great combination.

Jalen Robinson, on the other hand, has been on the team for six years and has made six starts. With numbers like that, you don't get to act like a knob as you're getting subbed out. If he had such a problem getting taken off, maybe he should have not played so shitty while he was on the field?

7. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I took his look as being upset with himself, at least in part. Look, guys have bad games. Acosta has them every other game. When it's a defender it's more noticeable. But in terms of his numbers after six years, that's more an indictment of a coach who has a poor record of developing young players.

Theopisa repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Why? Maybe the player just isn't "good enough". Robinson's problem is one of size -- he's nominally a CB, but he is on the small side. He doesn't seem to have the pace or ball skills to play outside. He's probably a good USL player, but not a good MLS player. If all lack of player development is on the coach, then anyone not playing in the EPL, Serie A, La Liga, etc. must have been failed by their coaches from youth leagues onward. I guess their collective "failures" to make it to the top isn't a commentary on their innate ability to play at that level.

Funkfoot, Q*bert Jones III and John L repped this.
  9. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes my friend
    Yes my friend and now you know partially why we moved out here. I miss DCUnited for sure - but quality of life on the Front Range is insanely better than the east coast. Something to do outdoors all year long. So many good things and traffic is a miniscule burden compared to the horror of metro DC traffic. You go into work on a Monday AM and if you say you sat on your butt during the weekend watching the TV they look at you like you are crazy. Very healthy place to live. I can get up and ski on a Saturday AM for 3 hours or go on a long strenuous hike in the mountains - and come back and take a nap and bbq and have a bunch of craft brews by 6. And that is just one day in the weekend.

And yes the weather can go through four seasons in 12 hours. It changes very fast and that and the dryness take some getting used to.

the stadium is meh - nice and average - but not commuter friendly.

the Crapids will never replace DCU for me ... but I will go and watch some of their games.

dadman, Winoman, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Were you at the game? Did we meet? I was one of the very few who flew in from DC, I believe the majority of the other fans were Colorado locals or close by states. I love the enthusiasm of these people who do not see DCU often because of the distance, and when it happens they fly really high. There are so many things we take for granted without realizing that it's not so.

Winoman repped this.
  11. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game seated in section 128 and then went down to the DCU fans in the corner at halftime but everyone was getting beer or something. I was at the game with my wife and two of my older kids that moved out here along with us. I have followed DCU since day 1 in RFK. Where we used to live in Ashburn Jaime Moreno lived four houses away and one of my sons was trained by ABMOD. :)

dadman, TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.
  12. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 128 we were right on the sight line to see Durkins goal from behind. Awesome shot to pound it past Howard.

Winoman repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Since our broadcasting crew was several timezones away, we never found out what exactly Ulises Segura did to anger the Colorado fans. Any of you folks in the Rockies have any idea why they were booing him so hard?

sitruc, Winoman and song219 repped this.
  14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think we talked during half time, then you went back to your original seats for the second half, correct?

15. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No sorry

I ended up not talking with anyone and heading back to my own seats.

16. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now that you make me think of it, the guy I talked to who was originally in another sector and went back there for the second half, had also traveled from WDC

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to agree with this because I've been pulling for the guy--my wife actually knew him slightly when he was at UMBC and she thought very highly of him.

Winoman repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huh, as I was warned - the game on DirectKick was a black screen for the first hour and became actual video just before the second-half kick-off. So I got to watch the second half. Knowing the final score helped me to not panic for the last 30 minutes of DC just trying to parallel park the bus.

I thought Segura played pretty well considering he does not belong where he was played - and for the second or third game in a row I have been disappointed with Arriola. Wayne showed no signs of being rested by not playing in the last game. Birnbaum was totally out to lunch for the second colo goal, but I thought played well in the 2nd half otherwise.

Winoman repped this.