DC United - Tracking 2015

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DC06, Mar 13, 2015.

1. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought might be interesting to track the result and how they've measure up to last 3 seasons.

Over all (interesting to note we lost first match three years in a row, so already a bit ahead.

[​IMG]

Will try to update this every couple weeks to see how we are comparing.

Over past three years playoff cut off total for points was ~50 points, however this year sees playoffs expanding to six clubs, so my guess is mid to high 40s be cut off.

2. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Nice!!

Can be even more interesting, if all seasons are included, similar to the corresponding thread for... Cup Nemesis RSL: ;)

DC06 repped this.
  3. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a lot of data to input, and I think recent years are better comparison given how many factors have changed since 1996. That said, i won't deny anyone else taking it on.

henryo repped this.
  4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were doing that for DC, I would start after the shootout systems were abolished, just for simplicity's sake.

henryo repped this.
  5. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Well, I can try contribute for those painful SOW seasons, if anyone tackles 2000-11... :)

6. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand what the orange line represents in that first graph.

7. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is best to forget that year.

freekickwiz repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The year we won a championship.

DC06, henryo, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    The line is inversely proportional to the amount of tears used to refill my beer.

Boloni86 and freekickwiz repped this.
  10. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update

[​IMG]

henryo and nobletea repped this.
  11. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd is it may seem, best first 3 matches of the 4 years is this year and worst was last year. Very least we're not digging ourselves a hole, just need to get healthy as desperate for goals.

henryo and Winoman repped this.
  12. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

henryo repped this.
  13. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't know how we've done it, but we are off to an amazing start in 2015. Even if we lose the next two matches that will still be ahead of any of the prior three years.

Also puts in perspective how awful 2013 was that half way through the season had the same amount of points as we do now after four matches.

henryo repped this.
  14. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    henryo repped this.
  15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Statistics are fun. Best start since 06 statically but we kinda suck in all places on the field except for goal. Anyone who has actually watched a whole match knows that the play doesn't match the stats. We are literally stealing points we don't deserve. Hopefully we get better when our players return/retire.

James

henryo and JRHokie repped this.
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    But we haven't been "stealing points" from teams that have done anything on the field to deserve them either. Nothing Orlando or LA Gals did the showed they "deserved" three points. If they had come out of those games with one point, they should've felt fortunate.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's soccer - as long as it stays 0-0 whoever wins "deserves" to win, assuming they can be arsed to try.

I can't remember all the way back to March/April '006, did we deserve those wins more or less than these?

Personally, I think DCU deserves to win every single game :D

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  18. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a big proponent of if you took the 3 points, you deserved them. Pretty simple. You actually did the thing. I don't see why people get caught up in what should have happened or what deserved to happen when right in front of you you have actually what happened.

We took 3 points against LA and Orlando because we scored more goals than the other team. Because we scored more goals than the other team, we deserved 3 points, because those are the rules of soccer.

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say it revolves around the idea that generally speaking if you "deserved" to win, it means that if you played that game 10 times you'd win it most of the time, probably 6-7 times at least. In other words, you played a level above what the other team offered on that day, and probably any other day, that you are likely to win.

While if you are 'stealing' points, it's saying you were playing badly, and probably not better than the other team in a somewhat aesthetic sense of what you are supposed to do in soccer from moment to moment, and if you played that team 10 times you aren't likely to win but more than a couple times.

The thing is, on that day, that one day, you did what it took to win the game. But on the other 8 days or so, the effort on the field probably wouldn't have sufficed.

Soccer is that kind of sport, where the "quality" of your game is not always directly related to your result, for better or worse.

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The results are clearly there - United's done two smash and grabs of 3 points the last two matches. The optics aren't the best - United looks like they're getting dominated. But, the stats don't always play that out.

Possession wise, United's won that battle twice at home, and lost it twice on the road. Montreal was a big possession win, NYRB a big loss (and definitely United's worst performance on the year). United controlled the ball more than Galaxy did, and weren't that far behind OCSC on Friday.

However, where the optics probably come in to play with the stats is where United has possession, and the passing numbers bear this out. Outside of the Montreal match, United's opponent passes more in the attacking half, passes more in the final third, and gets off more crosses. I'll write off the crosses thing to how United plays (even Montreal crossed more), but while United holds on to the ball, it's more in their own half than it is in the attacking half. This also leads to United getting outshot in every match.

I think this is just the style of play we have to watch until United is back at full strength. Better possession numbers than the play looks, but getting outshot and outpossessed in the final third. Definitely a bend but don't break thing going on.

22. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Could you include 2011 so all of Olsen's (full) years as a head coach are included?

23. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

henryo, freekickwiz and itwasi repped this.
  24. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Thank you DCO6

25. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Even though dropping the two points late stings, still are tracking ahead of prior years.

henryo repped this.