News: DC United reportedly sold for $500 million valuation

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Gamecock14, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They had to sign those two because they amassed so much expiring Garber Bucks/Funny Money. It's why the Fire have no depth.

sitruc repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    And the Crew's owner trumps all others.

3. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Ultimate Trump Card played.

Namrog The Just and JasonMa repped this.
  4. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    I realize that sale price includes their brand new stadium, but it's still a significant number which is consistent with the $500 million valuation Orlando recently received.

As a comparison, the average value of a NHL franchise as of 1 year ago was $505 million. Just sayin'.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff had a piece up that said the cost of the stadium was now around $400 million. Plus $50 for the training facility. Minus the $150 million DC put in in public $$, and you have $300 million worth of stadia/real estate + $200 million franchise = $500 million.

6. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    So is MLS unusual in that it includes their teams' venues in these valuations? Or is that typical?

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Forbes valuations are fairly worthless. Someone already spoke to this point, but the Clippers were valued by Forbes at $575 million, just as the POS Sterling was getting shown the door as owner. Ballmer then ended up buying the team for $2 BILLION (not $1 billion), just months later, in a climate that should have been favorable for a buyer. Forget Forbes valuations.

TheJoeGreene, JasonMa and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  8. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    It varies from team to team and sport to sport, and in some cases, the team owner has an ownership stake in the stadium but doesn't own it entirely. So, owning the stadium is more prevalent in among MLS owners than other sports as it has been a point of emphasis among the league. Tenants in a leased facility have to share the revenue. So, MLS has put a huge emphasis on stadium ownership in awarding expansion teams as it's a key success factor in their business model which relies heavily on ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, etc. rather than TV deals and other sponsorhips, at leas for now.

CeltTexan and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I feel like (and I'm not researching this, so someone feel free to correct me) more MLS teams own their grounds than do teams in other sports. Like, just randomly clicking on 8 NBA arenas, only 1 of them was owned by the team.

Gids and jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    If he lives in Potomac he can just stay west and take Point of Rocks or White's Ferry. Barely any time on VA roads and he can buy his cigarettes tax free before heading back to MD.

11. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    The NBA is not a valid benchmark because their valuations have exploded in recent years, thanks to massive new TV deals and opening of foreign markets for the league, including China.

However, the NHL is a useful benchmark as that is the league MLS could realistically catch and pass in the foreseeable future. So, it's notable that the Carolina Hurricanes just sold for $420 million whereas DC United is about to sell a share of the club, placing it's total value at $500 million. Same goes for Orlando.

Meanwhile, the Pittsburgh Penguins, one of the league's premier teams, was demanding $750 million from potential buyers just 2 years ago, yet the price was deemed too high and they got no offers.

One key difference is that MLS valuations include the stadium whereas a team like the Carolina Hurricanes merely leases it's stadium from the city. So they are the operator but not the owner. Therefore, one franchise comes with far more valuable physical assets than the other.

As a side note, I'd argue that MLS's insistence on stadium ownership is not only smart, but it will actually help anchor teams to their cities and make situations like the Columbus Crew potential relocation an extreme rare exception, at least in comparison to other leagues.

12. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, he can just take White's Ferry ;)

Gamecock14 repped this.
  13. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    P.S. I don't know if the stadium deal included any additional development, but that parcel is being surrounded by other residential and retail development. That might help in someone's calculus.

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it seems that in about 90% of the time when we see a team threaten to move, it's because of not having an "adequate" stadium/arena. In cases wher ethe team owns their building, the quickest way to stop that kind of bitching is to say, "go ahead and spend some (of your own) money and make improvements if you don't like your current place." But usually they are looking for the local taxpayers to bail them out.

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think NBA and NHL franchises will go up in value as they start building their own training facilities that they own, with NBA teams choosing more trendy spots.

The Blackhawks recently opened a training center / community center a few blocks away from the united center. The Vegas Knights have a nice one as well. NBA teams are opening ones with mixed retail/office space at a pretty fast clip.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the stadium comes with Debt, and taking on Debt Obligations are part of the price, they city paid for about 200 million of the Stadium right.

Say the previous owner financed the other 200, then the tights to operate the franchise value is probably around 300 million (obviously just guessing here).

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forbes valuations

upload_2018-4-11_15-20-37.png

eddygee and superdave repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Legally speaking, the MLS teams do not usually own the stadiums, thanks to the shell company games the Franchise operators play, some no tax paying company in the Cayman Islands probably own all the Stadiums in MLS (huge exaggeration on my part).

Gids repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close but not exactly right, still that is almost even with the NHL, I would not have guessed that 10 years ago.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must not understand how money works (arguably the case)...

If I have a dohicky worth $100 and decide that I want to add to that $100 dohicky a whatnot that costs $50, I'll grant that the new value is $150. But, it has to also be noted that I took on a debt of $50 to add the whatnot. So, my net value is still only $100.

What don't I understand?

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only one league where Balotelli should play, given his personality: Qatar.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His personality seems to be doing fine in France.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  23. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Mario signs we'll be seeing a lot of this:

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The first phase of the construction does include a 2-level non-stadium building in the southeast corner that is rarely mentioned. I don't believe it has been determined what will be built on the rest of the site controlled by the team other than that it will be mixed use. Some old renderings showed a couple of buildings including a hotel and an office building or condos.

The more significant thing about the valuation is that it hides United's debt. $500 million can easily be explained with development alone (Buzzard Point and Loudoun training facility).

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #75 CeltTexan, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    You got that right!

You know ahead of your upgrade purchase of the specific "cost" of what you will spend to add to your original dohicky. Then, down the line, when you look to sell said dohicky you can out of shear capitalistic mindset place your own price tag or "value" on what you think this dohicky post upgrade is now worth. The consumer is looking from the outside in on the dohicky's value. Forbes is as well looking from the outside in on what DCU is in their mind valued at.