News: DC United: Pre-season thread:

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the fact that we are scoring a lot this preseason.
    I did not watch the last two games though. Did anyone see at least last night's?
    Was Las Vegas way below MLS level, just making us look better, or did we do some things that might work in MLS?

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We played decently, some players even very well (Arriola). Vegas wasn't bad actually, but you can tell it is a brand new team with players that haven't played much together. In general though, USL is way below MLS, despite the fact that USSF has made of them an American serie B, they are still indeed a serie C level.

Dizi, Winoman and Heist repped this.
  3. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I watched the game. You can tell that Vegas is putting together a team that can knock the ball around the field and play the possession game. The problem is they are not very athletic and also getting to know each other. Vegas was far too impatient last night. Think Atlanta sans athleticism. I love the high press and I love the 4-2-3-1.

The problem is what you do against another team that employs the high press against you. This involves getting the fullbacks up to provide support and Olsen has been reluctant to do that over the years. He's just dumped the ball over the top and redeployed his own high press which usually pins our guys down in the defensive end after we lose possession in midfield. (Think dump and chase hockey).

In this formation we cannot afford to have the striker come too deep to provide support because he just brings a defender with him which further compresses space. Fullbacks have to come up and support. DCU needs to learn to play against a patient build up squad that employs its own high press. That is our Achilles heal and that's what most MLS squads do against us. It's a broken record.

DCUSA, GumbyG, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    We were lucky to only give up two goals. Our aerial defense sucked, and Vegas is not supposed to be a strong aerial team. They got a header on most of their set pieces. There were several other miscues. Brillant going in on a tackle that was a split second away from breaking his and/or the opponent's leg. De Leon with an attempted header back to the keeper that went to attacker instead. You give a gift like that to Villa or Giovinco and you give up a goal.

It's been very poor all preseason. Boneheaded errors. Poor ball circulation in the back. Poor communication. Lots of work needed.

Winoman repped this.
  5. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick also completely whiffed on a header where nobody was really around him and the ball bounced right to a lights player. Should have been a goal.

Nicky is looking a little heavier, and is in my eyes the worst player in our XI. I’d like to see Fisher take his spot and Kemp start on the left when healthy.

6. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My thoughts from inside the stadium here in Vegas:

1) Overall: Not great. DC struggled to move the ball against Vegas' high press -- it was clear that the midfield and backline was not connecting well, forcing more than a few hit-and-hope balls in the general direction of Maddox.

2) Maddox had two second-half breakaways and missed both very, very badly. Feels like a modern ATC or Curtis -- he'll score some goals, but he'll piss you off almost as often.

3) We got substantially better when Acosta got on the field, which tells me that a) next week will be tough, and b) our midfield doesn't quite have its individual tasks down yet.

4) Vegas was not terrible. Tried to knock it around a little. Fun to see Freddy Adu in action, as well -- he had a good ball to the near post for an assist on Vegas's second. Terrible atmosphere, though, with the DJ playing music at way too many stoppages.

5) Maddox v. Mullins: We scored some late goals with Mullins on the field, but it wasn't really due to him -- and Vegas was throwing itself forward to try to equalize.

R.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    In the opinion of those who attended, was it United vs Las Vegas or as his newspimp at the Post put it, United vs Freddy Adu and Las Vegas? Am I the only one who senses either a lack of journalistic professionalism or a bromantic crush that will never die?

Eastern Bear and Adler repped this.
  8. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Adu got a far bigger reaction during introductions than any other Lights player, and the supporters chanted "We Want Freddy" at the beginning of the second half, so...

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That must have warmed the hearts of his teammates, a trial sub getting both a pregame intro and the biggest ovation. That kind of stuff can be a turd in the locker room whirlpool particularly if he follows his natural inclinations to avoid hard work and goes on sick call after a week. Good luck to Vegas. OTOH if he fills the seats regularly, more money for the real players

10. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Lad to see Freddy still playing. He was a young player that was over hyped and shoved into this club as the MLS egos were trying g to fend off the European threat of them stealing and developing America’s Top young talent. His expectations were too high and he’ll always be viewed as a failure for not meeting them. I don’t want to see that placed on any other young player again.

11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mattocks 2 misses were absolutely terrible. He should’ve finished both, but he likely shouldn’tve even shot either. Arriola was rightly livid after the 2nd one.

John L and Winoman repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Watched the full replay this afternoon with my son. Having mixed drinks helps tremendously.
    Some observations:

The Vegas GK's were beer league quality.
    Arriola was playing a different game from the other 21 players on the pitch.
    Mattocks, as someone pointed out, is the 2018 version of ATC or Curtis.
    Moreno is a good backup -- I hope Canouse recovers soon.
    Segura is fast
    Stieber can strike a wonderful ball
    NDL shouldn't be in the league
    Fisher was a steal
    Brilliant and Birnbaum don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy
    The Vegas "analyst" sounded like Simpson's younger sister -- and was as insightful.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to 2018, vamos United -- it's not over till it's over (which may be mid-July).

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I understand and somewhat support your position but for the example of Jozy Altidore coming into MLS at 16 the following year and doing the job like a pro. The over hype points right back to our "insider" who did more damage than good.
    Like a Subic Bay social disease Adu's gone now and we have hopefully learned a lesson in applying caution and restraint going forward

14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moreno successfully marked Messi in a World Cup qualifier and yet you only think he's a backup??

15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hank Messi???

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leo.

17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought her commentary was pretty good. The rest we agree on.

James

18. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I was thinking the same thing. He can take DeLeon's spot when Kemp returns.

19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Yes. One good game does not make a career. I'm open to being convinced, but I believe Canouse is better all around.

Heist repped this.
  20. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    And by supporters, you mean us traveling barra and ultras. lol.
    Very sad Freddy didn't come over after the match. DCU did, talking to Benny last week in Tampa he is making sure no matter what even after bad loses, the team comes over and acknowledges the away support. Good for him.

Freddy is def not match fit at all. Las Vegas is a couple of pieces and a GK away from actually being pretty good.

Las Vegas has a good thing going. Their FO really gets it and it shows. They have a nice tailgate, for both kids and adults. They are pushing the team with advertising all over Vegas. I really hope this works out for them. They def need that new stadium asap, that pitch in person was awful.

They FO came over said if you want to go buy smokebombs, they have them in the stadium for sale, they will let us light them off...sadly they were the Vegas colors, but how awesome is that! they just made sure we didnt bring our own, ha.

Let's hope this is a yearly thing now, BUT not the week before our opener.

21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd start Mullins as the Forward over Mattocks any day of the week. Mullins may not be the ideal forwards in a One-Striker formation, but then there's only so many players like Lukaku in the world.

When you're the one forward, yeah sure, shoot on goal when you get half a chance. But realize also that as the one forward you will also draw a lot of defenders to you and may leave somebody open. AND YOU HAVE TO GET THE BALL TO THAT PLAYER!

Trying to shoot the ball is one thing. Being stupid and selfish is another.

Winoman, GumbyG and benni... repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    And of course like Quatar but unlike Miami it's a dry heat so it won't impact play.;) 1 PM kickoffs must be out of the question in July. Imagine the cost of maintaining real turf in that climate.

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As frustrating as that was, and as much as I like Mullins, Mattocks has proven far more effective staying high and getting behind the line, and as a team we're proving more effective this year at springing the forward. Those are about the easiest chances you can get, and with Mattocks we'll get a few each game.

It all really hinges on whether Mattocks can convert those chances at a decent rate. If he can, the other flaws in his game will go ignored.

And who knows, maybe he'll learn something from the tape. I sure hope he does, because those were good chances thrown away.

Winoman repped this.
  24. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Olsen coaches this and Mattocks does in fact learn something from the tape. My concern though is as a 27 year old striker who has probably been playing for 20+ years, he's probably not going to just learn this now.

25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope Mullins doesn't get discouraged when he doesn't start. If he keeps working Mattocks may just play himself out of the starting lineup.